Author Topic: Self-employed 30 year old w/ 25k to invest  (Read 1541 times)

ipTiC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Self-employed 30 year old w/ 25k to invest
« on: April 28, 2018, 06:17:57 PM »
Hey everybody,

Stumbled into the MMM blog about a year ago and was immediately turned on by all the anti-consumerist financial freedom badassity going on around here.

Hoping the community can help me understand how best to invest what I have given my somewhat unusual circumstances.

First, let me break down my current situation:

Annual Earnings 16k (I own a seasonal cafe that keeps me busy 4-5 months per year)
Annual Spending 10k (spent the last two off seasons backpacking around the world)
uninvestable cash 80k (marijuana industry earnings)
cash for investing 25k

So far the 25k is just sitting in a basic savings account.

What are my best options for getting my money to start working for me? Was thinking of just following advice here and just putting it all in vanguard VFINX for the time being at least

Other Considerations:
Will likely increase earnings significantly in 2018 by working during the 7 month off-season for the cafe

Fiance has ~12k in student loans at 4.?? interest rate, however our finances are still kept separate and she is stubborn about only paying the minimums on these indefinitely. Should I insist on paying that first?

Thanks!

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Self-employed 30 year old w/ 25k to invest
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 07:34:36 PM »
ipTiC, welcome to the forum.

Generic thought: until fiance becomes spouse, keep finances separate.  After fiance becomes spouse, combine all finances.  YMMV.

See https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Solo_401(k)_plan and Is a solo-401k worth it? - Bogleheads.org, if you want to put more than $5500/yr into tax-advantaged savings.

At your current income, Roth might be preferable to traditional.

See Investment Order for more generic thoughts.  Good luck!

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 09:51:45 AM »
See stickied thread: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/investment-order

I wouldn't prepay a 4% student loan.  And the size of it will ultimately be trivial to your networth.  It should not be keeping you up at night.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 08:48:42 PM »
If the "uninvestable" cash is spendable, that would make the risk of Vanguard pretty low.  Probably go ahead with that ASAP.