Author Topic: Seeking Vanguard fund advice / recommendations  (Read 2134 times)

Whiskers

  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 32
Seeking Vanguard fund advice / recommendations
« on: July 10, 2016, 10:24:19 AM »
Hi All,

Not looking to live off my investments for another 15 years or so. I have a 401k (with Ascensus), a Roth IRA (with Fidelity) and a taxable investment account (with Vanguard). Looking for some advice with respect the taxable account. Right now, I only hold two funds with Vanguard. Approximately 40% of the account is in VTIAX (Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Admiral Shares) and the other 60% or so is in VTSAX (Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares). What other Vanguard funds do people hold / recommend? Should I be looking to diversify?

Thanks

seattlecyclone

  • Walrus Stache
  • *******
  • Posts: 6173
  • Age: 36
  • Location: Seattle, WA
    • My blog
Re: Seeking Vanguard fund advice / recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 10:28:34 AM »
You already own stock in essentially every company on the planet. This is basically as "diversified" as you can possibly get!

You could change up the ratios of your investments or add some bonds if you really felt like it, but the idea that holding two funds means you're not sufficiently "diversified" is a myth when each fund itself owns thousands of different investments.

dandarc

  • Magnum Stache
  • ******
  • Posts: 4571
  • Age: 38
Re: Seeking Vanguard fund advice / recommendations
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 10:34:22 AM »
You already own stock in essentially every company on the planet. This is basically as "diversified" as you can possibly get!

You could change up the ratios of your investments or add some bonds if you really felt like it, but the idea that holding two funds means you're not sufficiently "diversified" is a myth when each fund itself owns thousands of different investments.
I think we're the same person seattlecyclone, was about to say exactly that.

slowsynapse

  • Stubble
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Age: 49
Re: Seeking Vanguard fund advice / recommendations
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 10:46:49 AM »
You already own stock in essentially every company on the planet. This is basically as "diversified" as you can possibly get!

You could change up the ratios of your investments or add some bonds if you really felt like it, but the idea that holding two funds means you're not sufficiently "diversified" is a myth when each fund itself owns thousands of different investments.
I think we're the same person seattlecyclone, was about to say exactly that.

Haha.  Me as well!  Maybe I read too many MMM forum posts.

The only thing I would add is that if you wanted to diversify into some amount of the portfolio to have a REIT fund, like Vanguard VGSIX, you could hold that in one of the retirement accounts.  I am guessing Ascensus will not have that option, but Fidelity would likely have a low cost REIT.  An allocation like 5% in a REIT can add diversification.

lthenderson

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1983
Re: Seeking Vanguard fund advice / recommendations
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 09:23:38 AM »
My entire portfolio is invested in those two funds along with VBTLX which is a total bond index fund. It has been the only fund that has done really well over the last year.

Trudie

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1984
Re: Seeking Vanguard fund advice / recommendations
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 09:32:19 AM »
I just added VTSAX Admiral shares and will stay the course.  I agree with Seattle Cyclone -- that's about as diversified as you can get.  Nothing wrong with putting 'er on autopilot.

I am going to invest in VBTLX (Vanguard Total Bond Index Admiral Shares) when I scrape together my next investable 10K to balance things a wee bit between stocks and bonds.