Author Topic: Section 1256 contracts - loss carryback  (Read 1179 times)


  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 63
Section 1256 contracts - loss carryback
« on: January 16, 2019, 10:58:00 AM »
So I have a bunch of trading losses in 2018, most of which are 1256 contract losses.

I had some 1256 contract gains in the past years, so I know I can go back and amend 3 years (starting 2015 tax year and going forward to 2016 and 2017).

I am in NJ state. I paid state taxes on those cap gains in past years (NJ does not recognize any 1256 / 60-40 etc, all cap gains are treated equal).

Due to the fact that prior years Fed returns would be amended, and cap gains would be eliminated, can NJ returns be also amended to ask for refund of taxes paid?