Author Topic: Russian invasion this weekend? What it means for markets.  (Read 12562 times)

svosavvy

• Stubble
Russian invasion this weekend? What it means for markets.
« on: January 19, 2022, 08:28:10 AM »
Hi All,

I pose this question for group insight on the upcoming geopolitical "train wreck" (word quote-Vladimir Frolov).  I recognize that odds making speculation is maybe a little insensitive to the affected parties as this whole thing will likely cause massive suffering and pain.  I am attempting to place non trivial amounts of capital "strategically" to hedge and/or make a small gain.  I am a wierdo that is intellectually stimulated by this whole chess game.  It almost goes without saying that this is not a financial advice post and I am not an expert. For wargame speculation purposes only.  I am by and large a buy and hold Vanguard 500 long term guy.  I also pray nearly daily for peace throughout the region and for its people.  That being said:

We have heard reports out of Ukraine basically the last year or so that there has been a troop build up of unusual significance on their borders.  We saw toward end of last summer and into the fall strange excuses out of Russia on why they were not supplying the usual gas capacities to Europe as per the usual supply build going into the winter months.  Thus leaving Europe in the lurch gas wise.  We see today the announcement that Fridays bigwig powwow is pretty much the last chance to blow out the fuse on this time bomb.  Do markets on Monday look like crap?  Who knows.

I will put out my wildest speculations here and hope they are completely wrong for everyones sake:  Russia rolls in from the north and south in a pincer type move encountering little resistance effectively splitting the country in two 65% west 35% east.  Claims to be a liberator from foreign threats and upcoming aggression.  Forces a referendum at gunpoint.  Try voting anti Russia with a tank pointed at you.  Phony referendum lends the whiff of "validity" to the whole exercise.  This destabilizes the entire surrounding zone of countries including the balkans.  Places like Bosnia already mildly destabilized by populist resurgence of an independent Republica Srpska again.  Said entity rejoins with Serbia and aligns with the east.  Other former satellites run by populist strongmen enter the throng in support of the east.  Kyiv is spared an invasion as it would be a military quagmire.  Like mentioned eastern 35% lives under occupation and military digs in for the long haul.   

Western response will be more muted than anticipated due to several factors.  SWIFT is a Belgium entity not a US one (cut off not a foregone conclusion).  US is loathe to enter another no mans land war, but, will do punishing sanctions.  However, Russians are experts at suffering.  German conservatives argue Nord 1&2 are economic concerns not war levers (who doesn't love cheap gas). This will cause a rift in the unified EU front that will ultimately get resolved.  China will be happy to buy Russian gas and maybe while not technically joining that side bilateral trade will keep Russian economy from completely tanking from the sanctions that will come (thanks belt and road).  It seems Russia's foreign outstanding debts are down to about half a trillion allowing for a defensive economic position (kinda like someone who only buys with cash and has little debt ,but, no credit).  The whole bear who sits quietly and eats honey thing. 

Turkey eventually aligns with the east (if not militarily at least economically) due to Erdogan desiring to stay in power and he most likely will.  This bizarre economic experiment he is doing blows up in his face and will require a shotgun marriage to an economically stronger country (China, Russia, both) to backstop major economic losses and depleted forex reserves. 

Questions:

1. What do you think the economic fallout is for investing Americans and/or Western countries?

2. How long does this last?

3. What are the outliers (second derivatives) both extreme and less consequential?

4. Is this thread a major overreaction to reading too much into this?

5. Any insight in general?

Moves I have made since the summer:

Like always long the S&P 500 through Vanguard products for the most of our stuff.

1.  Long nat gas

2. Short Russian equities through leap put buying of the RSX

3. Long oil

4. Long quite a lot of USD with position hedged by diversifying with some FXF (CHF ETF)

5. Short TKC through leap puts in July 2022

There it is.  The musings of a first world American.  Any investing thoughts?

mntnmn117

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Russian invasion this weekend? What it means for markets.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 12:26:47 PM »
I could see him taking a little more of Ukraine, but the further east he goes the % of ethnic Russians and Russian speakers drops off. Reason's against Putin's success are:
Crimea is too fresh on everyone's mind.
Kiev is thoroughly modern and westernized.
Putin turns 70 next year, this whole thing is a ploy to stay in power and eventually he will just age out of it.

That said an Aerospace and Defense ETF might not be that bad as they seem to have lagged the overall market so it may be their turn anyway. Maybe Lockheed Martin is the next big meme stonk. The Ukraine is Weak....

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 12:36:18 PM »
Is this a joke? I'm sure there will be lots of great investable moments... in hindsight.

Of course, every Friday (or whatever day you want) is a pretty decent investable moment. That's why I'm FI.

-W

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 12:41:27 PM »
Russia is posturing. They're threatening invasion of Ukraine to get concessions from the west. Namely, to leave Ukraine in Russia's sphere of influence/control and not as a part of the EU or NATO. Ukraine is practically in Russia's heartland. There are no natural barriers between it and Moscow, and they have a long history of being invaded from the west. The only real defense they have is depth. Having NATO on their doorstep feels very threatening. Just like we felt threatened during the Cold War by having a Soviet presence in Cuba.

Also, any focus on external problems allows Putin to deflect internal attention from all the internal problems (corruption, inflation, poor economy, etc.) inherent in an autocracy.

Blender Bender

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 12:42:05 PM »
I was born and spent my early life under soviet block, outside USSR.
People are trying to guess what Putin is thinking, and assume that logic can be in use.
Well, should not. This is about bringing the soviet glory back, no matter if taking (the whole) Ukraine is not economically viable. This is about slavic/orthodox supremacy crap, and Putin own survival.

It seems to me that Europe will be in trouble (investment/economically), especially with energy political play.
America/Canada, if the conflict is not going too wide, should in short/mid? term OK, supplying oil and especially gas. But there is lots of risk of trouble here too.

For starters, please do not invest in anything RU related :)

@svosavvy: your geopolitical thoughts make sense to me (China, Turkey, Serbia).

UPDATE:
Are we paranoid about Putin?
"My guess is he will move in. He has to do something,” Biden said.
https://apple.news/ADreU48DZQOWsbYT5YiptQQ

It really feels that Putin crossed the line of no return. This is different this time.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 05:19:43 PM by ArnoldK »

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 06:10:08 PM »
Putin could be posturing, and then invading if he doesn't get good concessions.  Having invaded Ukraine before, I think it's likely.  Biden expects Russia to do a "false flag" operation, where Russia claims it was attacked, and then invades in response.

Then the U.S. will discuss sanctions, and Russia will threaten to cut off gas supplies to Europe.  That's why I think Putin waited for winter, and will need to act while there's still months of winter left.

Last time the Crimea invasion didn't move the stock market (which I looked up weeks ago when Russia moved into position to invade).  I expect the same this time: no move in the stock market.

DaTrill

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 06:42:42 PM »
1. What do you think the economic fallout is for investing Americans and/or Western countries?  None.  I have a few friends from that area of the world and we were at a conference and someone made a comment that one of their home countries was being invaded/some kind of civil or ethnic war/some other disaster and another immigrant from a different country said "Sounds like a Tuesday" and that was it.   

2. How long does this last? 1-50,000 days

3. What are the outliers (second derivatives) both extreme and less consequential? Biden puts Harris in charge of "solving" the issue.   

4. Is this thread a major overreaction to reading too much into this? Yes.

5. Any insight in general? Ignore

All your trades could work or take you out on a stretcher.  If you are using futures, understand the leverage you are using as it can wipe out anyone in a few minutes. 

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 08:11:41 PM »
The markets will roll around on the floor for a bit, poop, then walk away. That may also be my neighbor’s dog. They will be affected equally in the long term (I.e. in 3 months).

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 02:41:00 PM »
For the markets as a whole, I doubt that it will mean much. A couple thoughts that are worth what you paid for them:
1. Russia is only 0.3% of the global stock market.
2. Cutting off energy to western Europe might do some things to the economy.
3. Further hampering trade with Russia will impact the western companies that were involved in that trade. I don't know how many companies that is, a lot got out after 2014. But there are still some left.
4. Ukraine has a real software outsourcing scene. I don't know how many of those companies are publicly traded, but some of their customers are big name US firms.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 02:44:42 PM »
[quote author=svosavvy link=topic=126073.msg2964641#msg2964641 Questions:

1. What do you think the economic fallout is for investing Americans and/or Western countries?

3. What are the outliers (second derivatives) both extreme and less consequential?

[/quote]

1) The war in Ukraine will not likely affect S&P 500 profits, except for defense industry firms like RTX, LM, GD, NOC, and BA in the long term. I think Ukraine is the last straw for NATO to admit we have a new cold war / dictator-rolling-through-Europe situation on our hands, and the reaction from the US and Europe may be to arm up to deter an attack on the Baltic states, Poland, or other allies. Putin may pivot to take the rest of Georgia at the same time. Thanks to the current correction, no one can say these developments are "baked into" defense stocks that are lower than they were pre-pandemic. Maybe buy ITA. Obviously the moves you described would have been prescient if done a few months ago, but there is a risk tensions resolve and they flop now. 

2) I think Russian forces will will conquer Ukraine and appear the border with NATO members Poland, Hungary, and Romania in 2-3 months. The larger fallout will continue for decades.

3) Western and Eastern democracies will finally start to "get" Putin's strategy. He is rebuilding the USSR by propping up a series of dictators from Venezuela to Syria, and from Belarus to Kazakhstan. Any time a dictator faces mass protests or the threat of a free election, the Wagner green men come in and snuff it out. In return, these dictators offer Russia military/intel bases and tribute. There's also the intelligence-sharing that makes opposition very difficult to organize in any of these countries. It's a very "1984" strategy. A cold war with regional proxy conflicts is inevitable. Hopefully, the concept of oil/gas as blood energy will prompt Europeans to wean off the stuff forever, but then again all the repressions in the Middle East did not elicit such a response.

4) I don't think this is a day trading theme, and I wouldn't significantly change my AA in response to Eastern European instability, except maybe to buy a small allocation of ITA. Recent history says the stock market can rally while millions of people lose their lives and freedom and disastrous wars break out.

5) Then again, Biden has been missing some pretty easy layups over the past couple of years, and is not exactly the sort of decisive, aggressive, or blunt leader to rally Europe to resist authoritarianism. A forceful resistance against Russia would fit perfectly with his domestic theme of protecting American election integrity and the American form of government, considering that corrupting elections is a key Russian tactic. Perhaps the Biden of 20 years ago could have done such a thing, but so far he's haplessly flailing with Congressional dickarounding instead of making obvious connections and rallying entire populations. Biden might seriously dawdle his way through his next 3 years just as he did his first.

If that happens, a right-wing president DeSantis or Cotton or Taylor-Greene would likely be more friendly to Russian interests than NATO's.

It is similarly unclear whether Europeans will accept what they don't want to believe: that their way of life with microscopic military budgets, massive social spending, and US protection cannot continue as it has in the past. Maybe they'll make excuses for the end of Ukraine and carry on as they always have, falling like dominos as the latest dictator exploits their piecemeal conflicts of interest. The Collective Action Problem has historically doomed Europeans to live under the specter of war, and if they leave their defense entirely in the hands of Americans, they are just waiting for the next Trump to come around and not be there for them.

Blender Bender

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 03:02:57 PM »
Agreed with above. (but not expecting to attack Poland, Hungary (his friend), Romania). Hmm, but not sure about the Baltics...

My primary thinking is that for Putin, it is NOW or "never" (he might wait for Trumph back, but Putin's progressing age is against him).
And the winter will soon be over, and he needs the winter to play with Europe heating needs. Also, can't wait for Europe to switch to green energy too much.

This is his live mission/legacy - undo the Soviet Union disintegration.

Another reason for the now, is that he eliminated any opposition in Russia. Also, the russian economy is in so bad shape that he will provide the war games instead of bread, as a deflections from internal problems, to stay in power as a strongman.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 04:54:44 PM »
If that happens, a right-wing president DeSantis or Cotton or Taylor-Greene would likely be more friendly to Russian interests than NATO's.

I'm curious why you think this? Most Republicans have been calling out the threat from Russia for years. Back in the presidential debate in 2012 Romney was mocked when he said Russia was our largest geopolitical threat. Trump focused more on China - which frankly is a much larger threat on every metric (military, economic, cultural, information, etc.) except perhaps number of nukes - and they've still got more than enough to kill most Americans.

Is this based on the "Russian collusion" charge that boiled down to the Clinton campaign generating a bunch of made-up BS (the Steele Dosier and everything associated with it) and using a compliant media/government to spread those lies for years on end?

Russia ranks 11th in GDP, between South Korea and Brazil - about $1.4 Trillion compared to the US at $20 Trillion

Russia ranks 9th in population, between Bangladesh and Mexico - 146 million (and falling) compared to the US at 333 million (and growing)

The only thing they have is an outsized military relative to their size - and a whole bunch of nuclear weapons to always hold as an implicit threat.

beee

• Stubble
    • HoneyMoney.io
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 05:35:09 PM »
My primary thinking is that for Putin, it is NOW or "never" (he might wait for Trumph back, but Putin's progressing age is against him).
And the winter will soon be over, and he needs the winter to play with Europe heating needs. Also, can't wait for Europe to switch to green energy too much.

Another reason for the now, is that he eliminated any opposition in Russia. Also, the russian economy is in so bad shape that he will provide the war games instead of bread, as a deflections from internal problems, to stay in power as a strongman.

Imho, a big war won't happen because Russian elites "want to rule like Stalin but live like Abramovich (EU citizen now, btw)". They earn money in Russia but keep and spend it in EU and US, where their assets are protected by law. Their families are abroad too (EU/US), they don't care about Russia's future because their future is not in Russia.

Russian elites won't support Putin if he decides to start a real war.
Proxy wars or small wars somewhere far away are ok for them though because they won't lead to serious consequences for them.

Blender Bender

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 05:54:04 PM »

Imho, a big war won't happen because Russian elites "want to rule like Stalin but live like Abramovich (EU citizen now, btw)". They earn money in Russia but keep and spend it in EU and US, where their assets are protected by law. Their families are abroad too (EU/US), they don't care about Russia's future because their future is not in Russia.

Russian elites won't support Putin if he decides to start a real war.
Proxy wars or small wars somewhere far away are ok for them though because they won't lead to serious consequences for them.

True to some extent. Putin has made the elites. And he can unmake them at his whims. Regards.

beee

• Stubble
    • HoneyMoney.io
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 07:28:22 PM »
Putin has made the elites. And he can unmake them at his whims

You give Putin too much credit. He was selected by elites to keep the status quo (he did not come to power on his own). And he is successful with it, only jailing/forcing to immigrate a small number of powerful people.

Making new elites is a long and dangerous process. It doesn't happen "at his whims", it takes time, resources, connections.

Putin is in power because a lot of powerful people are depending on him to keep the status quo. The status quo is pretty lucrative, btw (117 billionaires in Russia). A big war is a big risk to this, nobody will take it.

Mrs. Burning Bush

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2022, 06:14:00 PM »
Hi All,

I pose this question for group insight on the upcoming geopolitical "train wreck" (word quote-Vladimir Frolov).  I recognize that odds making speculation is maybe a little insensitive to the affected parties as this whole thing will likely cause massive suffering and pain.  I am attempting to place non trivial amounts of capital "strategically" to hedge and/or make a small gain.  I am a wierdo that is intellectually stimulated by this whole chess game.  It almost goes without saying that this is not a financial advice post and I am not an expert. For wargame speculation purposes only.  I am by and large a buy and hold Vanguard 500 long term guy.  I also pray nearly daily for peace throughout the region and for its people.  That being said:

We have heard reports out of Ukraine basically the last year or so that there has been a troop build up of unusual significance on their borders.  We saw toward end of last summer and into the fall strange excuses out of Russia on why they were not supplying the usual gas capacities to Europe as per the usual supply build going into the winter months.  Thus leaving Europe in the lurch gas wise.  We see today the announcement that Fridays bigwig powwow is pretty much the last chance to blow out the fuse on this time bomb.  Do markets on Monday look like crap?  Who knows.

I will put out my wildest speculations here and hope they are completely wrong for everyones sake:  Russia rolls in from the north and south in a pincer type move encountering little resistance effectively splitting the country in two 65% west 35% east.  Claims to be a liberator from foreign threats and upcoming aggression.  Forces a referendum at gunpoint.  Try voting anti Russia with a tank pointed at you.  Phony referendum lends the whiff of "validity" to the whole exercise.  This destabilizes the entire surrounding zone of countries including the balkans.  Places like Bosnia already mildly destabilized by populist resurgence of an independent Republica Srpska again.  Said entity rejoins with Serbia and aligns with the east.  Other former satellites run by populist strongmen enter the throng in support of the east.  Kyiv is spared an invasion as it would be a military quagmire.  Like mentioned eastern 35% lives under occupation and military digs in for the long haul.   

Western response will be more muted than anticipated due to several factors.  SWIFT is a Belgium entity not a US one (cut off not a foregone conclusion).  US is loathe to enter another no mans land war, but, will do punishing sanctions.  However, Russians are experts at suffering.  German conservatives argue Nord 1&2 are economic concerns not war levers (who doesn't love cheap gas). This will cause a rift in the unified EU front that will ultimately get resolved.  China will be happy to buy Russian gas and maybe while not technically joining that side bilateral trade will keep Russian economy from completely tanking from the sanctions that will come (thanks belt and road).  It seems Russia's foreign outstanding debts are down to about half a trillion allowing for a defensive economic position (kinda like someone who only buys with cash and has little debt ,but, no credit).  The whole bear who sits quietly and eats honey thing. 

Turkey eventually aligns with the east (if not militarily at least economically) due to Erdogan desiring to stay in power and he most likely will.  This bizarre economic experiment he is doing blows up in his face and will require a shotgun marriage to an economically stronger country (China, Russia, both) to backstop major economic losses and depleted forex reserves. 

Questions:

Moves I have made since the summer:

Like always long the S&P 500 through Vanguard products for the most of our stuff.

1.  Long nat gas

2. Short Russian equities through leap put buying of the RSX

3. Long oil

4. Long quite a lot of USD with position hedged by diversifying with some FXF (CHF ETF)

5. Short TKC through leap puts in July 2022

There it is.  The musings of a first world American.  Any investing thoughts?

My guess is the invasion(s) will not happen until after the Chinese Olympic games.  The question I have is does China use the same time frame to go into Taiwan? 

If one or both of these happen, I would think we could see $100+ oil for a while.

Blender Bender

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2022, 08:57:36 AM »

My guess is the invasion(s) will not happen until after the Chinese Olympic games.  The question I have is does China use the same time frame to go into Taiwan? 

If one or both of these happen, I would think we could see $100+ oil for a while.

This is a fair guess. It could be that Putting is colluding with Xi. Xi could ask him to wait. A possibility. Putting understands that olympics are precious for regimes ie Sochi.

Affable Bear

• Stubble
  • Only if you run
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2022, 07:49:21 AM »

It is similarly unclear whether Europeans will accept what they don't want to believe: that their way of life with microscopic military budgets, massive social spending, and US protection cannot continue as it has in the past. Maybe they'll make excuses for the end of Ukraine and carry on as they always have, falling like dominos as the latest dictator exploits their piecemeal conflicts of interest. The Collective Action Problem has historically doomed Europeans to live under the specter of war, and if they leave their defense entirely in the hands of Americans, they are just waiting for the next Trump to come around and not be there for them.

I would say the EU in general is not a whimpering baby militaristically and whilst yes EU budgets pale in comparison to the US they aren't exactly a toothless cat either and if they could throw their weight around I don’t think Russia would chance it. They do need to take some responsibility for the regions stability and security as opposed to relying on the blanket the US provide however I dont think this is necessarily all down to military spending.

I think the main issue is the motivation to take military action or at least make large showings of militaristic power because of political desire and the impact domestically of no gas, heating and potentially power fluctuations (gas used for electricity). I think if EU placed 100,000 troops on the border of Ukraine I would highly doubt there would be an invasion by Russia, however if they did that Russia turns the pipe off and watches EU fall into chaos. This would be an easy win for Russia as having no access to heating or electricity it wont take long for the general population to get riled up and you know how good Russia are at inciting dissidence.

I think the only time the EU would do/risk this is if the threatened country was a member of the EU or NATO and was about to get invaded, Ukraine want to be members and is probably why Russia are so threatening and involved as they know they wouldnt be able to do anything (without risking all out war) if Ukraine did eventually join.

Whilst I am 100% behind reducing emissions an important reason why Europe is so vulnerable and reliant on Russian gas at the moment is because of green initiatives which have seen coal power stations close, but to temporarily make up the gap the EU (incl. UK) are consuming more gas to produce electricity instead. In the medium term (10-20 years) when we all start switching to electric air and underground heat pumps to provide heating and renewables with nuclear become more dominant in electricity production there will be no need for gas (and oil) anymore and we will probably see a more resilient and secure EU because of it regardless of defence spending.

I wont go into the social spending part as I think a lot of it is extremely beneficial (some of it wasteful too) and whilst nothing is perfect I wouldnt trade NHS for anything.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2022, 08:45:42 AM »

I think the main issue is the motivation to take military action or at least make large showings of militaristic power because of political desire and the impact domestically of no gas, heating and potentially power fluctuations (gas used for electricity). I think if EU placed 100,000 troops on the border of Ukraine I would highly doubt there would be an invasion by Russia, however if they did that Russia turns the pipe off and watches EU fall into chaos. This would be an easy win for Russia as having no access to heating or electricity it wont take long for the general population to get riled up and you know how good Russia are at inciting dissidence.

Germany says that gas is on the table if Russia invades Ukraine. Poland is increasing military spending even though they already met the 2% GDP target.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2022, 03:04:43 PM »
Whilst I am 100% behind reducing emissions an important reason why Europe is so vulnerable and reliant on Russian gas at the moment is because of green initiatives which have seen coal power stations close, but to temporarily make up the gap the EU (incl. UK) are consuming more gas to produce electricity instead. In the medium term (10-20 years) when we all start switching to electric air and underground heat pumps to provide heating and renewables with nuclear become more dominant in electricity production there will be no need for gas (and oil) anymore and we will probably see a more resilient and secure EU because of it regardless of defence spending.

I'm not sure about the UK but Germany is actively shutting down nuclear plants - making them even more vulnerable to Russian pressure through natural gas shipments. It's interesting to see the split in Europe with Germany generally favoring Russia while the UK and certainly all or most of central and Eastern Europe are opposed to Russia.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2022, 06:05:09 AM »

An invasion of Ukraine needs to happen during winter, when Europe depends on Russia for heating oil.  Waiting too long throws away the most significant leverage Russia has over Europe.

China seems to be trying to impress the world with the Olympics.  An invasion would cause that effort to be wasted as the world would focus criticism on China rather than praise.

Blender Bender

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2022, 09:04:32 AM »

An invasion of Ukraine needs to happen during winter, when Europe depends on Russia for heating oil.  Waiting too long throws away the most significant leverage Russia has over Europe.

China seems to be trying to impress the world with the Olympics.  An invasion would cause that effort to be wasted as the world would focus criticism on China rather than praise.

Maybe, but also likely that Xi would never forgive Putin to spoil his games. The games could be god-sent.

Mrs. Burning Bush

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2022, 03:42:51 PM »

I agree with you Mustache.  The games run from Febuary 4th to the 20th.  Russia and China have been building a tighter relationship and an invasion prior to the closing ceremony by either country would probably be quite the buzz kill, but who knows.  In fact for that very reason, maybe that is when the invasion(s) might come as it would be a surprise.  BTW, I am not predicting full on military invastions, but it does seem to be the direction both Russia and China are moving.

Also, just checked the P/E on Vanguard's energy index fund (VDE).  It is only 7.5 - that was lower than I thought it would be.

Affable Bear

• Stubble
  • Only if you run
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2022, 08:23:00 AM »
Germany says that gas is on the table if Russia invades Ukraine. Poland is increasing military spending even though they already met the 2% GDP target.

I hadn’t been aware of Germany actively closing down nuclear, this is dissapointing and imo is not a good short/medium term play security wise. At least here in the UK we are actually looking at increasing nuclear capacity with new sites and micro reactors being planned. I do think we have come a long way in terms of the safety and technology of nuclear which has made it so much more feasible. Although questions remain over nuclear waste, on balance its probably worth it as a stop gap to green but I havent really looked too far into it.

I guess it is the enemy you choose but I would rather have energy independence and less CO2 in the air than be reliant on gas and oil from a country which continually throws its weight around trying to nab stuff.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 08:24:34 AM by Affable Bear »

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2022, 09:04:39 AM »
Also, just checked the P/E on Vanguard's energy index fund (VDE).  It is only 7.5 - that was lower than I thought it would be.

This is kinda a surprise to me too. If NATO countries effectively sanction Russian oil and gas, doesn't that raise profits for fossil fuel companies? Well, maybe not. There are only so many LNG tankers available to arbitrage a natural gas price spread between Europe and the USA. So a US company like Chesapeake or Apache doesn't automatically profit from European gas shortages.

Additionally, countries not involved in the sanctions would happily buy up cheap Russian fossil fuels and keep the effects of sanctions to a minimum - particularly for oil which is more transportable. China has a lot of weight they could throw around here.

So maybe if someone wanted to bet on war, or hedge against it with minimal risk then doing spreads or buying calls on USO would be the way to go rather than buying fossil fuel companies themselves. 

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2022, 01:25:59 PM »

This is kinda a surprise to me too. If NATO countries effectively sanction Russian oil and gas, doesn't that raise profits for fossil fuel companies? Well, maybe not. There are only so many LNG tankers available to arbitrage a natural gas price spread between Europe and the USA. So a US company like Chesapeake or Apache doesn't automatically profit from European gas shortages.

Additionally, countries not involved in the sanctions would happily buy up cheap Russian fossil fuels and keep the effects of sanctions to a minimum - particularly for oil which is more transportable. China has a lot of weight they could throw around here.

So maybe if someone wanted to bet on war, or hedge against it with minimal risk then doing spreads or buying calls on USO would be the way to go rather than buying fossil fuel companies themselves.

There's a limited amount of LNG available and any tankers without contracted loads have definitely been headed to Europe to take advantage of the arbitrage. I saw a graphic of it a while back and it was a stream of ship trackers going from the US to northern Europe.

On the other hand, even though oil is a fungible globally traded commodity - there's still physical limitations. China may want to buy Russian oil but if there's no tankers available and no pipeline to transport it, it may as well still be stuck in the ground. And the company that owns those tankers may not want to risk violating any sanctions. So Iranian oil is available cheap but there's only a few countries and shipping companies willing to risk the US cutting them off financially.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2022, 04:12:17 PM »

There's a limited amount of LNG available and any tankers without contracted loads have definitely been headed to Europe to take advantage of the arbitrage. I saw a graphic of it a while back and it was a stream of ship trackers going from the US to northern Europe.

On the other hand, even though oil is a fungible globally traded commodity - there's still physical limitations. China may want to buy Russian oil but if there's no tankers available and no pipeline to transport it, it may as well still be stuck in the ground. And the company that owns those tankers may not want to risk violating any sanctions. So Iranian oil is available cheap but there's only a few countries and shipping companies willing to risk the US cutting them off financially.

I considered that perhaps freighters or ferries could be loaded with the sort of tanks you see used to store propane in rural areas of the US. They could be shipped to northern Europe full of NG or propane and could offer households a way to hedge against gas outages. Of course, there are regulatory hurdles, and of course this only works where there is physical space which is not the case in European cities, and of course some plumbing is required to hook them up. This is more of a business idea with a limited market than a plan for Europe, but it would at least utilize other means of transportation.

Still, this thought process shows just how hard it would be to use gas if a country must abandon its existing infrastructure.

It's far more likely households would start using inefficient Chinese-made electric space heaters, which would cause lots of fires and electrical blackouts.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2022, 09:01:48 AM »
I suspect Biden's actions have gotten to Putin.  Look at how Putin phrases it: "The U.S. is pushing us toward war", meaning Putin still desperately wants everything to be a reason for invading Ukraine.

I don't think Putin expected more NATO troops in Eastern Europe, massive arms shipments to Ukraine, and even Germany putting the Nordstream 2 pipeline on the negotiating table.  And Biden has kept the pressure up, calling out Russian actions like cyber attacks and a potential puppet leader Russia might want to install in Ukraine.  Overall I think Putin got more than he bargained for... but we'll see if he backs down and bides his time.  At this point, I think de-escalation is more likely.

beee

• Stubble
    • HoneyMoney.io
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2022, 01:37:00 PM »
Putin is getting exactly what he wanted. Playing big games as "superpower" and distracting Russian people from real problems.

The economy is stagnating, people are poor and tortured by police, no independent media, no freedom of speech, the cult of WW2? That's not important when "enemies" are "already on our border".

Those "enemies" where most of the Russian elites keep their assets and their families.

windytrail

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2022, 03:48:43 PM »
Anyone else believe that Russia is not planning on invading Ukraine? It can be hard to see through the unfettered belligerence of Western media until you remember the "weapons of mass destruction" BS they fed us in 2002-2003...simply repeating claims by our state department without question. See this op-ed from Dr Harun Yilmaz: https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2022/2/9/no-russia-will-not-invade-ukraine.
In fact, just the large military presence along the border is already doing enough damage to Ukraine: severely undermining its economy. Furthermore, the Russian authorities do not see a threat emanating from a “democratic Ukraine”, as the Maidan by now has lost its appeal within Russian pro-democracy circles.

Therefore, the amassing of troops along the Russia-Ukraine border is not targeting Kyiv, but the West. Moscow wants to force Western countries to finally sit down for negotiations on issues of European security. And this strategy seems to be working. Since 1991, this is the first time the West has engaged seriously with Russia to discuss European security.

In this scenario, Russia has anticipated the West's actions entirely, and is not losing any bargaining power over the buildup of (mainly US) troops in NATO countries.

If that is so, and war is in fact not imminent, then stocks are currently on-sale.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2022, 04:20:49 PM »
Anyone else believe that Russia is not planning on invading Ukraine? It can be hard to see through the unfettered belligerence of Western media until you remember the "weapons of mass destruction" BS they fed us in 2002-2003...simply repeating claims by our state department without question. See this op-ed from Dr Harun Yilmaz: https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2022/2/9/no-russia-will-not-invade-ukraine.
In fact, just the large military presence along the border is already doing enough damage to Ukraine: severely undermining its economy. Furthermore, the Russian authorities do not see a threat emanating from a “democratic Ukraine”, as the Maidan by now has lost its appeal within Russian pro-democracy circles.

Therefore, the amassing of troops along the Russia-Ukraine border is not targeting Kyiv, but the West. Moscow wants to force Western countries to finally sit down for negotiations on issues of European security. And this strategy seems to be working. Since 1991, this is the first time the West has engaged seriously with Russia to discuss European security.

In this scenario, Russia has anticipated the West's actions entirely, and is not losing any bargaining power over the buildup of (mainly US) troops in NATO countries.

If that is so, and war is in fact not imminent, then stocks are currently on-sale.

But is the west going to give them any concessions? Is Russia spending a whole lot to wreck Ukraine's economy for no direct benefit? I mean, I hope that's it and they don't roll tanks, but it seems like spending a lot of money for nothing.

beee

• Stubble
    • HoneyMoney.io
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2022, 04:33:34 PM »
But is the west going to give them any concessions? Is Russia spending a whole lot to wreck Ukraine's economy for no direct benefit? I mean, I hope that's it and they don't roll tanks, but it seems like spending a lot of money for nothing.

The benefits are real. Potential war, as well as imaginary war, gives you all the benefits without any downside.

Russia can play a superpower role once again,
Russian propaganda can focus on the "enemies around us",
Russian people are distracted from internal problems,
Putin changes his role from the dictator who tries to keep the power to the defender of mother Russia.

Even NATO is benefitting from this situation because a military alliance is worthless without a potential opponent.

spending a whole lot

The Russian government can spend whatever it wants for any reason. It's not like people can vote them out :) And they don't spend their money, they spend taxpayer's money. The leftovers they couldn't steal for their personal gain.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2022, 04:54:36 PM »

The benefits are real. Potential war, as well as imaginary war, gives you all the benefits without any downside.

Russia can play a superpower role once again,
Russian propaganda can focus on the "enemies around us",
Russian people are distracted from internal problems,
Putin changes his role from the dictator who tries to keep the power to the defender of mother Russia.

Even NATO is benefitting from this situation because a military alliance is worthless without a potential opponent.

So the benefit is to internal politics in Russia and NATO and the people getting hurt are Ukrainian? I could see that, I guess. I'm still not holding my breathe for a peaceful resolution.

paulkots

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2022, 05:09:40 PM »
IMO

Russia is trying its old playbook, flex military muscle to get concessions. Previously, we(US/EU) have come to the table, this time both sides are keeping their ground. My worry is that Russia can not back down without concessions because that is losing face, they may do something military so they can walk away with some win they will spin at home.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2022, 05:12:33 PM »
IMO

Russia is trying its old playbook, flex military muscle to get concessions. Previously, we(US/EU) have come to the table, this time both sides are keeping their ground. My worry is that Russia can not back down without concessions because that is losing face, they may do something military so they can walk away with some win they will spin at home.

I too have this worry. They mobilized 130k troops, what's the minimum that they can go home with, a land bridge to Crimea? Would that count as a minor incursion?

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2022, 07:01:26 AM »
Stock markets reacted optimistically to the Russian Foreign Minister discussing diplomatic talks going forward.  There's also some mention of withdrawing troops in Russian media.

But... satellite images show no changes in troop levels.  They haven't held diplomatic talks with many countries in one meeting yet, so overall I'm skeptically optimistic.  Maybe something will happen in the next 1-2 weeks to justify some optimism.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2022, 07:13:50 AM »

To be clear, in this scenario most stocks are on sale but energy and commodity stocks might see massive pullbacks. XLE is up 25% since mid-December . How much of that was due to the threats of the Russians?

See this op-ed from Dr Harun Yilmaz: https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2022/2/9/no-russia-will-not-invade-ukraine.

IDK. This makes it sound like the Russians keep requesting a meeting and the NATO countries can't make time for them. There's a certain infantilizing of Russia in this narrative, like they're acting out for attention. Maybe I'm missing something such as NATO being satisfied with the status quo or Russia wanting to change the dynamics so NATO is forced to compromise even from a stronger position. The narrative doesn't make sense without this extra info.

Blender Bender

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2022, 11:05:51 AM »
Trust what you see, not what you hear (from Putin).

Also, history gives good lessons. Anyone remembers the Crimea? Lavrov was keeping saying back then that he has no clue who was taking over Crimea. Some green dudes with armoury that everyone can buy in the corner hardware store. But after the fact Putin declared "mission accomplished". Is this forgotten?

Again, if you want something closely representing facts/truth, just negate what Putin/Lavrov say. They say "end of operations", it means start etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_military_deception
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 11:18:53 AM by ArnoldK »

Blender Bender

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2022, 06:17:34 PM »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2022, 09:11:45 PM »
Used to work for a Defense contractor and got to purchase stock options in my 401k.   I forgot they were there.  (Oops.)

Have a phone meeting with the Fidelity tomorrow to arrange to have my 3 401Ks with them changed into one IRA.

I think I'll ditch the defense contractor stock as it's a good time to do so, it's up.   I really don't want to have that much money (1/16th) in a single company's stock, particularly as it's a one-industry pony.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2022, 08:12:47 AM »
SwordGuy - Did you post about your 401k in the wrong thread?

There's a possibility I hadn't considered: Putin doesn't want to invade or retreat.  He wants a cheap way to push oil prices up at great profit for Russia.  If you think a lingering threat will work, energy stocks could go higher.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2022, 09:39:15 AM »

There's a possibility I hadn't considered: Putin doesn't want to invade or retreat.  He wants a cheap way to push oil prices up at great profit for Russia.  If you think a lingering threat will work, energy stocks could go higher.
I've had that thought, too, but I see "market manipulation" constantly, at least in my mind.
Invasion imminent: stocks fall.
Invasion averted: stocks rise.
Anyone remember the movie "The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming!"?

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2022, 01:48:26 PM »
I guess that I should have gone short ERUS and long Palladium.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2022, 01:51:51 PM »

Well I think we got this one answered this week.

sailinlight

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2022, 01:58:27 PM »

Well I think we got this one answered this week.
Maybe he thought he could push prices up higher if he did invade. No one seems willing to put sanctions on Russia's oil at this point, so it doesn't look like they're going to lose anything over this.

Blender Bender

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2022, 03:19:31 PM »
(Some?) Russian people are are bit odd, not ready for freedom/democracy (they never had).

My wife has a Russian dear friend living in Canada, with Ukrainian husband, for like 20+ years.
She of course is shocked by what happened. But she was saying that basically this is not Putin fault (does not know whose). That some (unknown?) 3rd countries forces caused the attack. So detached from reality. No wonder that putin's propaganda works on his people :(
Isolate.

Me, coming from a country forced to be part of the eastern block got the same "brotherly" treatment back in the days, as Ukrainians are getting now. All russians, and some Ukrainians (i talked to for years) did not believe that they attacked forcefully my country. They really believed that they were our saviours and (younger) brothers.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2022, 08:38:53 PM »

Nope.   I expect Defense stocks to go up. 

However, I think I'll hang onto them because I learned about NUAs, so I can get the growth on them with low taxes if I ever sell them.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2022, 08:57:26 PM »
WTF is this forum turning into

Weathering

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2022, 10:41:40 PM »
You broke it, you bought it.
Using was trying to pull others into his fight, but it didn’t work. Now he has one crushed Uk and nothing else.
I’m expecting the next move will be to demand Russia provide, food, water, shelter, and medical care for all Ukrainians. Seems like Putin has shot himself in the foot while trying to draw others into his maelstrom.

If only Trump’s sanctions against Russia had been maintained by the Biden-Harris administration, then none of this would have happened.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2022, 06:10:58 AM »
The book "Thinking in Bets" suggests assigning probabilities to outcomes, which I should have done with Russia/Ukraine.  Early on, Russia said the US was pushing for war... he's blaming the US for Russian tanks being at the border with Ukraine.  That blame only makes sense in pushing closer to war, and that's what happened.
But I thought it more likely he would linger at the border, keeping oil prices up - so I went with that as my expectation.  Looks like that's not the case.

As to markets, yesterday the S&P 500 went from -2.5% pre-market to closing  up +1.5%.  The US has claimed Russia's energy markets will not be impacted... either that sanction is being held in reserve, or it's too much for Europe.  But it also means at the present time with the latest information, oil prices will be less impacted than previously thought.

Al Jazeera tends to be better at having people on the ground, and in this case they had a reporter at a Ukrainian port.  Russia apparently warned the Ukrainian military if they stay they'll be killed - so they left.  That reporter said 10 soldiers remained to prevent looting.  That suggests Russia is willing to avoid loss of life if possible - which also fits their stated goal of protecting Russians in Ukraine.

But Russia hasn't started fighting in the cities yet, and could be much more bloody than elsewhere - for both sides.  That could change the sanctions, and then have a larger impact on world markets.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!