Author Topic: Roth 401k - Employer Match Changes in 2016?  (Read 1694 times)

pjrichar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Roth 401k - Employer Match Changes in 2016?
« on: March 10, 2016, 11:26:13 AM »
I was listening to some investing radio show the other day and I swear I heard them say that the IRS rules changed for 2016 that would allow employees to choose whether the employer matching contributions were added as Roth or pre-tax instead of before requiring that the match be pre-tax. I have been googling it, but haven't been able to find anything. Has anyone heard or read anything on this? If so, would you be able to provide me with a link?

Thanks!

Old Man Mase

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Old Man Mase
Re: Roth 401k - Employer Match Changes in 2016?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 08:41:07 AM »
I heard Dave Ramsey say something like this a few weeks back.  I remember it because i remember thinking wow, this could be a big deal.  Then a few days later i was listening to his show again and he actually apologized and made a correction, saying that the company match portion still has to be pre-tax instead of Roth.  I wouldn't be surprised if the IRS allowed something like this in the future though.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 10:23:58 AM »
It would be nice if this were to happen.  I think to make it work the IRS would probably make the match taxable in the year received or vested. If in the year received there should be a way to recapture this if you lost a portion due to not being fully vested upon termination.  I don't see any way they would let the match go completely untaxed.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 10:29:18 AM »
I would just like to HAVE a 401(k) match for the first time in my life.  I imagine they'll only become less common over time.