Author Topic: Roll to TSP or IRA  (Read 2025 times)

en58

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Roll to TSP or IRA
« on: March 25, 2017, 08:01:27 PM »
So I need some advise?

I have an old 401k account with T Row Price. Should I roll it over to my TSP, leave it, or roll it to an IRA?  The funds in my T Row Price account are all in index funds.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
Re: Roll to TSP or IRA
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 11:48:39 PM »
You gain a lot of control when you roll an old 401(k) account into a new IRA.  You pick the place for the IRA (like Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab), so you can decide on a place with low expense ratios and the fund types you want.  In a TSP or 401(k), the plan options can change at any time, and may not even start out with choices you like.

The way to go about it is pick a place, like Vanguard.  You then reach out to Vanguard and ask what forms you need to fill out.  They then take over and transfer your assets from the old plan to Vanguard.  I prefer "cashing out" the old account, not keeping it's mutual funds, and then buying new funds when the cash arrives at Vanguard.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 04:33:14 AM »
TSP is about the only investment vehicle that beats Vanguard's low rates.  My vote is TSP.  The downside is you don't have as many funds to choose from.  My money will stay in TSP as long as possible and be the last investment I draw from.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 05:06:17 AM »
TSP is a great location for investments. Very low fees. I would definitely roll it over to the TSP.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 12:11:47 PM »
Yep, TSP.  Lowest rates.  While investment choices are limited, they cover all the basic broad indexes.  I plan to keep mine there until at least RMD age.

en58

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 02:19:20 PM »
Thank you guys, I'm gonna move it to the TSP