Author Topic: Rocket Lab (RKLB) - Finally a decent space company that we can invest in?  (Read 114921 times)

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
Yes, I think the deep dive had "4.0" in the thread.

I was trying to come up with a positive from that thread, and mentioned the government contracts.  But the article focused more on the lack of contracts.  I don't know if that's still true - do you have some insight on that?  Especially for their 2023 constellation (if it happens).

If BlackSky starts touting signed contracts, instead of hopes at getting contracts, that would be a turning point for them.  One of the quarterly reports mentioned lowering an earnings target, which stock analysts hate.  First, it shows the company is having problems meeting it's own numbers.  But probably more important, it suggests growth is falling.  A slow growing tiny company isn't as interesting to investors, who can get slow growth in much more stable companies.

I wonder a little why BlackSky shot up to $1.90/share today...  currently trading at $1.85, up +5.7% on ... no news?  I bought zero shares... but someone bought hundreds of thousands of dollars worth in early trading.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
Would the missed earnings target coincide with the loss of satellites from the failed Rocket Lab launch? If that that's pretty clearly an external shock rather than something broken within their business model or projections. If it doesn't line up with that, the miss is significantly more worrying.

BlackSky announced some signed contracts in the fall of 2021 which would be after the due diligence thread was posted and after their small constellation went live. One from the NGA worth "up to" $30M over five years and a five year NASA contract of non-specified total value. With the satellites in orbit and functioning I suspect there will be some more similar contracts in the future.  Whether it's enough to make BlackSky's business model work long term, I don't know. But the birds they're currently flying should throw off a non-zero revenue stream for some years to come.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
Liking the thoughtful discussion here!!

It contrasts hearteningly with my own more primitive processes. S&P is up (4561 or so), RKLB down (under $7.70), time to buy! Sold a bit of an S&P 500 fund, bought another nibble of RKLB.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 01:31:08 PM by BicycleB »

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
I recall reading that $30M + unspecified contracts... hard to value.  I don't think BlackSky is interesting enough for me.

Like BicycleB, I bought more RocketLab today, so I'm at my full 1.5x allocation now.

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
Agreed that BlackSky is too risky of an investment for me. This YouTube video pointed out that BlackSky has an overreliance on government contracts, and combined with the Reddit post you guys mentioned, it definitely seems like the company is on shaky ground. With stronger competitors like Planet Labs, I am not sure exactly what value proposition BlackSky brings to the table.

I never really considered investing in BlackSky stock in the first place, but now I don't think that Rocket Lab would benefit much from absorbing BlackSky's business.

In other news, Rocket Lab CFO Adam Spice is going to be giving some sort of presentation about satellite innovation on Wednesday. I will be on the lookout for any juicy details about Rocket Lab's satellite business.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 02:54:52 PM by Herbert Derp »

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
That article mentioned Plantir Tech and Peter Thiel as investors in BlackSky.  So one thesis for the stock is that these investors open doors for BlackSky to more government contracts.  Looking at their press release, you could also claim most of their losses are from one time costs related to going public.

Palantir's investment in BlackSky was interesting. I learned from that YouTube video that Palantir made the investment in BlackSky on the terms that BlackSky would spend the money that Palantir gave them on Palantir's services. In other words, BlackSky paid Palantir's money back to them. The end result was that BlackSky got a big discount on Palantir's services and Palantir gained a new customer. Not saying this is a bad thing, but there's more to it than just Palantir handing BlackSky money.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 03:14:39 PM by Herbert Derp »

Archipelago

• Pencil Stache
Hey, just a sidebar question here. But what service are you folks using to purchase individual stocks? And how do you purchase stocks where the trade happens right away?

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
Recovered my losses over the past few days with today's gains.  I have zero invested in RKLN now at the moment. Stock's too volatile for me at the moment.  If there are some big discounts later I'll buy up some RKLB, Astra etc. :)  Of course it'll probably go up 30% tomorrow knowing my luck :)

Viking Thor

• Stubble
I have always been an index fund guy, but a couple years ago I decided I would make some small bets. Eg I never bought any of the Faang stocks and missed out on that growth (except whatever represented in SP 500 index).

So my philosophy I will make small bets less than 1% of net worth for things that may be companies at the forefront of growing industries. Eg like trying to find the next Amazon or google, once they’ve started to emerge but before they get too richly valued so the potential is there for a big win if things go well. Or the opposite they could go to nothing but that won’t ruin me since I’m 95% index funds.

Two+ years ago I bought some Tesla and that has a nice paper profit thus far, beginners luck. Recently bought Coinbase, that’s down a bit, and Rocket Lab like a week or two ago.

So I have one company each for EVs/batteries, crypto mgmt, and space.

I look at these as long term plays to see if they can be big 5-10 years down the line. I am not too worried about the week to week variance although it’s interesting to follow the news on them.  Also it will be more tax efficient if they do grow if I can sell them in retirement when my income is lower.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 01:03:13 PM by Viking Thor »

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
Hey, just a sidebar question here. But what service are you folks using to purchase individual stocks? And how do you purchase stocks where the trade happens right away?

There are a variety of brokerage services you can use for this, some of the most notable being Robinhood, Vanguard, Fidelity, and Webull.

Recovered my losses over the past few days with today's gains.  I have zero invested in RKLN now at the moment. Stock's too volatile for me at the moment.  If there are some big discounts later I'll buy up some RKLB, Astra etc. :)  Of course it'll probably go up 30% tomorrow knowing my luck :)

Yeah, it's going to be a rough ride. No idea why the stock was down so much yesterday and up so much today! Some people say that the volatility is due to price manipulation. In any case, what matters to me is what is going on with Rocket Lab's actual business, not the stock price.

IMO, Rocket Lab is best played as a long term investment over the next 5-10 years. The space industry is going to be huge, and Rocket Lab is one of the largest and most diversified pure-play New Space companies, with real revenue and working, commercialized technology. I believe that this really sets Rocket Lab apart from most other space companies. So much of the competition is either focused on just one small niche of the space industry (i.e. Planet, Momentus), is legacy Old Space (i.e. Boeing), is not a pure-play space company (i.e. Lockheed Martin), lacks revenue (i.e. Virgin Galactic), or has technology that is either not yet in the hands of paying customers or completely unproven (i.e. AST SpaceMobile).

As long-term investors we need to ignore the fluctuations in the stock price and focus on Rocket Lab's business fundamentals. Does the company's technology work? Is the company making the correct strategic investments to set themselves up for long-term growth? Is the company meeting their revenue and profitability goals? Is the competition a threat? Does the company have an economic moat? Is the company financially healthy? These are the sort of questions that everyone should be asking themselves.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 02:02:05 PM by Herbert Derp »

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
Thanks for the research on Palantir... they were pretty much demanding their money back, which isn't much of an investment.  And a discount thrown in, too.

I've got brokerage accounts at Vanguard, IBKR and Schwab.  I like IBKR's "Trader Workstation" the best, although IBKR seems to charge commissions on stocks that would be $0/trade at Schwab or Vanguard.  Vanguard charges $1/call option while their competitors charge $0.65/call (Schwab, IBKR).

As to why RKLB is rising today, I think it's an overall market lift over the possibility the leaders of Ukraine and Russia might hold face to face talks.  I have a lot of these small growth stocks, and all of them are up significantly (though RKLB up more than most).  I suspect the market is overly optimistic, as world leaders who know Putin far better are cautioning it's actions not words that matter.

If you haven't watched a YouTube video of a rocket launch, it's worth a look.  Even if the stock goes nowhere, you can enjoy supporting the effort while you wait. (Which is an unfair comment on a day RocketLab went up +9.2% so far)

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache

There are a variety of brokerage services you can use for this, some of the most notable being Robinhood, Vanguard, Fidelity, and Webull.

I buy mine through Fidelity.

I purchase stocks right away by using the "market" setting for order price, instead of the "limit" setting, in the Buy/Sell Stocks part of Fidelity's account interface for personal investors. A "market" order goes through very quickly (immediately/a few seconds/something like that) because this setting accepts in advance whatever price the market would give me at the time Fidelity processes the order.

A "limit order", for example "I want 100 shares of RKLB but only if it's less than $8/share", would wait until the "less than $8" condition is filled; if the price never goes below $8, the order would never complete itself.

My way may not be the smartest way. Buying individual stocks is pretty new for me and most of my portfolio is in index funds/ETFs.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 03:45:05 PM by BicycleB »

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
I think market orders are pretty typical. If you're risk averse you can also put in a limit order for 5-10% above the market clearing price. Should function just like a market order EXCEPT if the price magically spikes up by more than 5-10% it won't execute, instead of having you buy at the new higher price.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
I also do market orders very often :)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
@Viking re CoinBase - Do you think CoinBase has a sufficient moat?  What would it take for Schwab/Vanguard/Bank of America/etc to replicate the service they provide?  May (all?) harder-core decentralized crypto people would reject them out of hand but there are 100x more "normal" mom and pop people that could become customers with a known name on the front end.

Viking Thor

• Stubble
@Viking re CoinBase - Do you think CoinBase has a sufficient moat?  What would it take for Schwab/Vanguard/Bank of America/etc to replicate the service they provide?  May (all?) harder-core decentralized crypto people would reject them out of hand but there are 100x more "normal" mom and pop people that could become customers with a known name on the front end.

I am not an expert and not making recommendations to others. I have a small investment in coinbase that I consider a long term bet.

Having said that I think they have a good combination of first mover advantage/ customer base, leading technology, and regulatory compliance (which is not easy in financial services at all, and in an area that other financial services are not as familiar).

There could be a million reasons the investment doesn’t work but I’m not that worried about them being overtaken by the companies you mention or someone similar. Large financial institutions like that are not nimble and way behind coinbase. Just my opinion, of course I could be wrong.

I’m more worried about nimble startup competitors (existing or potential new ones), or just the industry/ opportunity not being lucrative enough given the current valuation. But again it’s a small bet of mine that I’ll let play out. Apologize also for distracting from Rocketlab thread.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 09:56:18 PM by Viking Thor »

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
AlanStache - taking the hint from Viking Thor's apology, maybe you want to ask about CoinBase in a separate thread?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
I count myself warned by the forum stay-on-topic police and will definitely not discuss any pros or cons of different brokerage platforms or the fees they may charge.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
I count myself warned by the forum stay-on-topic police and will definitely not discuss any pros or cons of different brokerage platforms or the fees they may charge.

@AlanStache, I think the other brokerages were being discussed as methods for buying Rocket Lab stock. Can Coinbase be used to buy stock?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 03:24:46 PM by BicycleB »

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
Rocket Lab's mission yesterday was a success! Two more BlackSky satellites are in orbit. The next mission will be the helicopter recovery attempt!!!

In other news, Cathie Wood's CTRU fund just opened a small position in Rocket Lab. 22,461 shares. Given the recent performance of Cathie's funds, not sure if this is a good thing lol

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
Looks like the launch was in New Zealand.  At what point to they switch to the US?  Is that when they need a large launch vehicle with excessive liquid oxygen required?
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220402005035/en/

RKLB stock up +2.5% on the news today in the first 40 min of trading.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/RKLB/

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
Looks like the launch was in New Zealand.  At what point to they switch to the US?  Is that when they need a large launch vehicle with excessive liquid oxygen required?
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220402005035/en/

From Derp a couple weeks ago:

"Rocket Lab is a US company with headquarters in Long Beach, California. Their Electron factory and launch pads are in New Zealand, and their CEO is a New Zealand citizen. Rocket Lab started as a New Zealand company in 2006 but in 2013 they established their headquarters in the US and became a US company because there was no way that they were going to be able to tap into US capital markets and continue to grow the company by operating out of New Zealand.

At this point in time they have the majority of their employees and facilities in the US, and are continuing to expand their footprint in the US as they build out their space systems facilities in California and Colorado and their Neutron factory in Virginia. Their presence in New Zealand is not expanding at anywhere near the rate that it is expanding in the US, and by the time that Neutron is flying I don’t think anyone will perceive them as a “New Zealand company”.

Just their Neutron facility alone should be larger than anything they have in New Zealand. Peter Beck is on record as saying that if they tried to launch Neutron from New Zealand, it would take all the liquid oxygen in the entire country just to fill up the tank halfway!"

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
Good news! Rocket Lab has just scheduled a second launch for this month! Dubbed “There and Back Again”, it is scheduled for April 19th. This is a rideshare mission coordinated by Spaceflight Inc. and will launch 34 satellites for six companies.

Most importantly, this mission will include a midair helicopter recovery attempt of the first stage booster. I am pleasantly surprised by this increased launch cadence and look forward to the booster recovery attempt! If Rocket Lab can pull this off, they will be the second company in human history to recover a fully intact orbital rocket booster!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 11:40:12 AM by Herbert Derp »

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
Spaceflight Inc will be happy to have a launcher.
https://spacenews.com/spacex-severs-ties-with-spaceflight/

Possible issues:
https://spacenews.com/propellant-leak-forces-sherpa-tug-off-spacex-rideshare-mission/
OR per https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=48741.msg2353399#msg2353399  it might have to do with :
Quote from: Jrcraft
I wonder if it was because the recent Swarm SpaceBees were launched through Spaceflight Inc. on Astra's previous Rocket 3 launch. Swarm was acquired by SpaceX, and IIRC the deployable Spaceflight payloads were to be originally flown on a transporter mission. Also, the timing fits that theory: It's been a while since that leak, but the exact day that SpaceBees were announced as having been on board. SpaceX must really not want anyone to launch any of their satellites, especially given the seemingly hasty nature of this decision.

The Sherpa thing probably won't be an issue with RocketLab, as RocketLab has the equivalent (or better) Proton.

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
We have some news on York Space, one of Rocket Lab's competitors in the satellite industry. This is the space systems company that recently won a $382M contract with the Department of Defense. York Space is tripling their satellite production capacity by building a new space systems facility in Denver that can produce 540 satellites per year. York Space plans to hire up to an additional 450 employees in the Denver metro area over the next two years. It will be interesting to see how Rocket Lab competes with pure-play space systems companies like York Space and Terran Orbital in the coming years.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
BicycleB - That's good background info, although I was focused more specifically on the date when more than half of cargo is launched in the U.S., rather than mostly in New Zealand.

Earlier this week I sold off all individual stocks for reasons completely unrelated to Rocket Lab.  But Rocket Lab was part of that sell off, which you can read about in the journal area of the forum, if anyone is curious.

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
BicycleB - That's good background info, although I was focused more specifically on the date when more than half of cargo is launched in the U.S., rather than mostly in New Zealand.

I would expect this to happen around 2025 once Neutron is operational.

However, if you consider space systems revenue, Rocket Lab will soon be earning most of their money in the US. That’s more important than which country they are launching Electron from.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 01:04:09 AM by Herbert Derp »

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
New news today! Rocket Lab has officially broken ground at the Neutron facility in Virginia. Also, their Q1 2022 earnings call is scheduled for Monday, May 16, 2022.

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
New news! Rocket Lab just signed a three-launch contract with a company called HawkEye 360 to launch 15 satellites from their spaceport in Virginia. This will include Rocket Lab's first mission to launch from Virginia, which is tentatively scheduled for December 2022.

As a reminder, Rocket Lab's next launch with helicopter recovery is currently scheduled for this Friday, April 22nd!

Their rocket with the shiny new protective coating is currently ready on the launch pad! I can't wait to see a helicopter try and snatch it out of the sky!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 03:43:13 AM by Herbert Derp »

time is money

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Thanks for sharing these updates. I quite like the new look of the rocket. So if the recovery on Friday is successful - do we expect that as a share price catalyst? As that will significantly reduce their future cost. Have any other company done similar recovery before with helicopter? If you would share your opinion - how complex is the recovery and what are the chances of success: 50/50; 80/20?
Would market react very negatively if the recovery isn’t a success?

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
Thanks for sharing these updates. I quite like the new look of the rocket. So if the recovery on Friday is successful - do we expect that as a share price catalyst? As that will significantly reduce their future cost. Have any other company done similar recovery before with helicopter? If you would share your opinion - how complex is the recovery and what are the chances of success: 50/50; 80/20?
Would market react very negatively if the recovery isn’t a success?

Mid-air retrieval has been done since the 1960’s, so there is plenty of precedent. I’d give Rocket Lab an 80% chance of success, they have done extensive tests catching dummy payloads with the helicopter and have been very successful at that.

Yes, I think this will impact the stock price one way or the other, but it’s important to note that their efforts won’t truly be successful until they re-fly a recovered booster. Simply catching a booster isn’t enough to dispel any pessimism in the market around this technology, for that they will need to re-fly the caught booster.

It’s also important to note that Electron reuse is super important not just for increasing the launch cadence and reducing the cost of Electron but also in terms of de-risking Neutron. Most of the technology Rocket Lab develops for reusing Electron will then be reused for Neutron.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 04:06:50 AM by Herbert Derp »

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
Rocket Lab's upcoming launch has been delayed until next Wednesday, April 27th:
https://twitter.com/RocketLab/status/1517328086345281536

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
Rocket Lab should be live in four hours with coverage of the helicopter recovery mission!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nODVPGHQcc

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
The launch was delayed again. Rocket Lab is now live and launching in just five minutes!

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
The launch was delayed again. Rocket Lab is now live and launching in just five minutes!

Crazy world - was watching it live but then was like meh - need to get other stuff done, can just watch the replay over dinner.  That that is an option!

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
Looks like they caught it, but what was the "oohhhh" right before they cut the feed?

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Well done rocket lab.

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
Rocket Lab managed to catch the booster as planned, but then the helicopter pilots decided that the load was dangerous so they dropped the booster into the ocean. You can read more details in this article.

Personally, I suspect the issue could be related to the full-sized rocket booster having different aerodynamic characteristics than the much smaller mass simulator payloads that were used during testing. Hopefully they can do some more helicopter tests and get this issue ironed out. But I am glad they caught the falling booster on their first attempt. SpaceX had such incredible difficulty catching falling fairings and eventually had to give up, I was worried that a similar thing might happen with Rocket Lab.

Quote from: Peter Beck
Incredible catch by the recovery team, can’t begin to explain how hard that catch was and that the pilots got it. They did release it after hook up as they were not happy with the way it was flying, but no big deal, the rocket splashed down safely and the ship is loading it now.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 08:46:50 PM by Herbert Derp »

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
Kind of glad the pilot dropped the booster. Only because I'm attributing the further drop in stock price to that (though "risky stock in falling market" may be investors' idea too). Either way, market down but RKLB down more, so picked up another nibble.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 07:31:58 PM by BicycleB »

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
I do agree in very large part with what you said but must quibble with the characterization that generating aerodynamic models can take minutes - yes some can but some also can take months to run on a cluster - others still require a wind tunnel.  And there can be big variation in quality of different methods or the suitability of different models for different phases of flight.  Aerodynamics is still far from "solved". 

AI... pifff....  The joke is that AI has never done anything because as soon as AI is applied to something and proven useful it is no longer called AI and renamed "ABC engineering" or "DEF math" or "GHI optimization".

Absolutely, they can’t simulate everything perfectly yet. I admit that I may have overestimated the performance of current computer modeling. Otherwise SpaceX wouldn’t have had to blow up so many Starship prototypes! But you can’t deny that computer modeling has improved by leaps and bounds over the past two decades in terms of accuracy, cost, and accessibility.
Well, computer simulations are GIGO -- garbage in, garbage out. If you don't know what physics to put in and you miss something that actually is important, the simulations will be wrong. There was a lot of worry about the aerodynamics of Starship's belly flop landing but in the end the simulations ended up being spot on; instead the landing failures were because of engine hardware failure and propellant slosh and thermodynamics effects which are really hard to simulate.

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
I was able to glean some important new information from articles about the recent mission. These statements give me confidence that Rocket Lab's reuse program is feasible and will result in significant cost savings for the company. Rocket Lab investors should take note!

Rocket Lab’s helicopter is more than capable of lifting an Electron booster—the weight of the booster is just 1/5 of the helicopter’s lift capacity.

Rocket Lab does plan to refurbish and re-fly the booster they recovered from the ocean in the recent mission. The cost of the first stage booster is 70-80% of the total cost of the rocket, so recovering it will make a big difference in Rocket Lab’s economics. Only about 50% of flights will be recoverable, though.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/03/rocket-lab-ceo-99percent-toward-reusing-rockets-after-first-helicopter-catch.html

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/03/tech/rocket-lab-helicopter-next-attempt-scn/index.html

On the catch attempt:
Rocket Lab’s Sikorsky S-92 helicopter is capable of lifting 5,000 kilograms, Beck noted, with the Electron booster weighing “just a little under 1,000 kilograms.” While the test had “a ton of margin,” Beck said, Rocket Lab used “really conservative estimates” to maximize safety during the catch. The helicopter flies with a crew of three: A pilot, a co-pilot and a spotter.

The only problem was that, for the helicopter pilot, the capture created an uncomfortable "load" on the helicopter beyond what they had experienced during testing. So they dropped the rocket into the ocean, something the company hoped to avoid because sea water is corrosive and damaging to electronic components.

"We didn't want to bite off more than we could chew," Beck told reporters after the flight. "The pilots were well briefed: If anything was different from the simulation that they felt that they weren't happy with, then the most important thing is everybody's safety. ... And that's exactly what they executed. So they got a great catch. And and they just didn't like the way the the load was feeling."

Despite saying the fix needed to make the rocket capture work is "trivial," Rocket Lab CEO Peter Beck told reporters at a post-flight briefing that the company will need to go back to the testing phase. The plan is to build a better replica of the rocket booster to use in simulations so that the helicopter pilots won't be caught off guard by the physics involved with catching the real thing, as they were after Monday night's attempt.

On reuse:
In making its boosters reusable, Rocket Lab would be able to launch more often while simultaneously decreasing the material cost of each mission.

Beck disclosed that the Electron’s booster makes up between 70% and 80% of the total cost of the vehicle. Reusing it would bring significant savings for the company and shrink the number of boosters it needs to produce.

Rocket Lab will next return the Electron booster to its factory to strip it down, inspect it and begin the process of refurbishing it for the next flight.

While Beck cautioned that the company needs “to do a bunch of testing” on the booster, Rocket Lab will “endeavor to fly that one again” – in what would be its first reused rocket launch.

Beck estimates about half of Rocket Lab’s missions will utilize reusable rockets. Night launches, when the helicopter wouldn’t fly, or launches that require the rocket’s full capability bring that number down. (Rocket Lab loses about 10% of payload capacity on the Electron in its reusable configuration.)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 02:37:17 PM by Herbert Derp »

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
@Herbert Derp - i know you are long on RKLB but what do you make of the decline since the SPAC stuff? Is it a victim of a dropping market or is there something else going on with share price?

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
@Herbert Derp - i know you are long on RKLB but what do you make of the decline since the SPAC stuff? Is it a victim of a dropping market or is there something else going on with share price?

I think it's a trend in the overall sector of speculative, high-growth technology stocks that Rocket Lab belongs to. Compare the last six months performance of RKLB to ARKK which is a basket of 36 speculative, high-growth technology stocks, not including RKLB.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
I too am guessing the plunge in RKLB price is a general effect of falling markets losing confidence in the previously hot category of speculative, tech-y stocks. It appears to me that whenever the market (S&P 500) swings, RKLB usually swings more, but in the same direction. I don't think the real long term value has changed much at all.

I'm far from a knowledgeable or experienced stock picker; this is really my first foray into closely following an individual stock. My simple strategy is buy a little more RKLB when it seems the market (S&P 500) has dropped but RKLB has dropped more. So I bought some more ("another nibble") today! I don't know how to call a bottom or decide When To Finish Loading Up; interested in ideas on that. (ETA 5/13: Overnight, decided this is enough drop to load up a little; added several more nibbles today despite RKLB being up already. Done for now unless there's another big drop in RKLB/GSPC ratio.)

At $5.10 or less, the price is less than half of what I paid for the first block of shares. I'm sure the market's history is full of people who invested on the way down and lost all their money, so I comfort myself that I'm still only putting in a small percentage of my portfolio.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 12:29:32 PM by BicycleB »

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
MOON MISSION BEGINS!

"Rocket Lab Begins Payload Integration for CAPSTONE mission to the moon."
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/rocket-lab-begins-payload-integration-203500993.html

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
And ouch they dropped 14.8% today.  Was at $4B mkt cap like a month or two ago?  but now closer to $2B.

I wonder what the true value of this company is?  Everything is dropping like mad though especially speculative small to mid cap techs.

vand

• Handlebar Stache
This thing is down by three quarters and could easily fall another three quarters, because on a current price to sales of 42 it's still priced to the moon.

And as is common with new unprofitable companes they have already begun to dilute existing holdersto add insult to injury.

Dodge.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
The only securities I'd have hope for is U.S. Total Market Index and S&P 500 Index.  They are okay to buy, DCA'ing etc.. they always go back up.  But any single stock can keep diving forever and never recover.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
This thing is down by three quarters and could easily fall another three quarters, because on a current price to sales of 42 it's still priced to the moon.

Come on, it's a rocket company. If any company gets to go to the moon it'a a rocket company. 🚀🚀🚀

Also, it's only down 52.5% since I bought into the SPAC listing.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
Come on, it's a rocket company. If any company gets to go to the moon it'a a rocket company.

Also, it's only down 52.5% since I bought into the SPAC listing.
Soon to be literally going to the moon.
CAPSTONE mission.
 Apparently the first Artemis mission, since it is going to a NRHO (Near Rectilinear Halo Orbit, just like Gateway.
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=50152.0
Edit for spelling
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 06:08:15 AM by markbike528CBX »