Author Topic: Robinhood  (Read 5086 times)

Rob

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Robinhood
« on: July 13, 2014, 07:19:49 PM »
I've seen Robinhood mentioned briefly in a couple of threads, but I thought it was deserving of its own.

Robinhood is an online-only stock brokerage with $0 fees on trades of individual stocks. The start-up has been backed by Google Ventures and others, and is still in a waitlist beta mode. This is different than loyal3 as it should complete orders as they are received, rather than batch processing, and it should offer all US stocks on that major exchanges. The plan is to make money on margin trading and eventually premium service offerings, and keep costs low by avoiding brick & mortar stores, advisors, and advertising.

You can sign up for the waitlist through my referral link here: https://www.robinhood.com/?ref=LeKTrV
If someone uses the link, please feel free to post your referral link below.

Anyone have access yet, or know someone that has access? I'm about 7,800 on the list, and am unsure if Robinhood is registered in Wisconsin yet. They plan to register in all states but I haven't found any recent info on that.

Here is a CNN article with some more info. http://buzz.money.cnn.com/2014/05/17/robinhood-trading-app/

GGNoob

• Pencil Stache
Re: Robinhood
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 08:05:42 PM »
I've been around 1000 in the waiting list since the middle of May. They claimed to have sent out invites to people several times since then, but each time I never move any closer.

I'm interested to check it out, although I'll probably stick to my index investing. Maybe once I have a large enough savings I could dedicate a certain amount of money to "play" with in individual stocks.

Rob

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 07:47:57 PM »
Interesting, perhaps you didn't get an invite because it's not registered in your state yet. Although, you would still likely have moved up the list. I'm not expecting to be able to use it for another six months or a year, but kind of surprised no one has gotten in yet.

foobar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 08:50:30 PM »
I've been around 1000 in the waiting list since the middle of May. They claimed to have sent out invites to people several times since then, but each time I never move any closer.

I'm interested to check it out, although I'll probably stick to my index investing. Maybe once I have a large enough savings I could dedicate a certain amount of money to "play" with in individual stocks.

They only let people in that spam their friends. If your not willing to do that, you are going to wait a long time. Personally I refuse to do marketing for a company and I don't really want to associate with them either.

GGNoob

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 03:05:10 AM »
I just referred myself about 30 times to get myself where I am in line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 06:35:03 PM »
How'd you accomplish that?

GGNoob

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 08:05:15 PM »

With a Gmail account, you can add as many periods as you want wherever you want in your e-mail address and it always still comes to you. So I just signed up over and over with a different (but technically same) e-mail until I was under 1,000 in line. But you do have to clear your cookies each time or it remembers that you've already signed up.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 08:33:01 PM »

With a Gmail account, you can add as many periods as you want wherever you want in your e-mail address and it always still comes to you. So I just signed up over and over with a different (but technically same) e-mail until I was under 1,000 in line. But you do have to clear your cookies each time or it remembers that you've already signed up.

Great hack. Thanks for sharing. Useful in all sorts of circumstances I would think.