Author Topic: REIT REALTY INCOME (O)  (Read 9710 times)

SweetLife

• Bristles
REIT REALTY INCOME (O)
« on: August 26, 2017, 09:46:04 AM »
Ok now that I am in the "groove" lol... I am looking to buy some REIT (per MMM its a good idea for those who can't be real life landlords lol - that's me!)

I'm Canadian so I am wondering if I can buy this particular one ... and if I do if I should put in in my RRSP/TFSA or a taxable account as it is in US funds ???? (looking to invest about $10,000)

Thanks!

Al1961

• Stubble
  • Dad of a husky Husky
Re: REIT REALTY INCOME (O)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 10:29:12 AM »
If it's US domiciled, put it in your RRSP to avoid withholding taxes on distributions.

Why a specific REIT instead of a REIT ETF? At least with the ETF you spread some of the risk.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 10:34:41 AM »
Thanks Al1961! I have been combing through MMM for the last few years but am still super new to investing ... REIT's were an area that I always believed was good to invest in and came across an MMM article about it and in the comments someone mentioned Realty Income Corp. After I read up on it, it looks like a good one to invest in ... I don't know enough about investing to know the difference between and REIT and an REIT ETF lol.. (but I will be googling that it a minute!)

Thanks for the reply .... I have a lot of RRSP room which is why I was asking !

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 10:40:07 AM »
"O" is a little pricey right now in my opinion.  I think the Vanguard REIT ETF is ticker VNQ.  Lot's of people hold that.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 10:41:38 AM »
If it's US domiciled, put it in your RRSP to avoid withholding taxes on distributions.

Why a specific REIT instead of a REIT ETF? At least with the ETF you spread some of the risk.

Ok ...Real estate investment trusts (REITS) represent the shares of an individual real estate company, while REIT ETFs passively track indexes for the larger real estate market. These REIT indexes include a number of different types of REITs as components. The individual performance of REITs can vary widely. Many REITs are traded on major stock exchanges, but there are also a number of private and non-publicly traded REITs.

REIT ETFs that track indexes are passively managed and often have low expense ratios. By tracking an index, an investor can gain exposure to the larger real estate sector without having to risk capital on one individual company. On the other hand, more sophisticated real estate investors may wish to invest in a single REIT. The investor may want to focus on a REIT with good management, a strong business plan or a focus on a certain portion of the real estate sector. Still, for the investor who does not want to perform due diligence on a number of different REITs, REIT ETFs may provide an easy way to gain diversified exposure to real estate in one trade.

SO if I understand it properly it means : REIT's are one basket and REIT ETF's is one company with lots of baskets???

There must be a popular REIT ETF for mustachians then??? I would like to compare with the returns from the REIT I was looking at and see what the difference is ... anyone have a favorite?

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 10:46:56 AM »
"O" is a little pricey right now in my opinion.  I think the Vanguard REIT ETF is ticker VNQ.  Lot's of people hold that.

Thanks I will look up VNQ :)

Al1961

• Stubble
  • Dad of a husky Husky
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 10:48:35 AM »

Ok ...Real estate investment trusts (REITS) represent the shares of an individual real estate company, while REIT ETFs passively track indexes for the larger real estate market. These REIT indexes include a number of different types of REITs as components. The individual performance of REITs can vary widely. Many REITs are traded on major stock exchanges, but there are also a number of private and non-publicly traded REITs.

REIT ETFs that track indexes are passively managed and often have low expense ratios. By tracking an index, an investor can gain exposure to the larger real estate sector without having to risk capital on one individual company. On the other hand, more sophisticated real estate investors may wish to invest in a single REIT. The investor may want to focus on a REIT with good management, a strong business plan or a focus on a certain portion of the real estate sector. Still, for the investor who does not want to perform due diligence on a number of different REITs, REIT ETFs may provide an easy way to gain diversified exposure to real estate in one trade.

SO if I understand it properly it means : REIT's are one basket and REIT ETF's is one company with lots of baskets???

There must be a popular REIT ETF for mustachians then??? I would like to compare with the returns from the REIT I was looking at and see what the difference is ... anyone have a favorite?

Re bolded part:

An ETF (exchange traded fund) holds many individual REITs, spreading your risk among many companies.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 10:50:15 AM »
Do you want rental real estate REITs or mortgage Reits (mREITs?)  I hold REM for mREIT allocation.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 10:54:25 AM »
Do you want rental real estate REITs or mortgage Reits (mREITs?)  I hold REM for mREIT allocation.

LMAO ... now you're just being mean lol... just kidding. I will stick with REIT's for now until I figure out mortgage REITS next year ....

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 11:04:23 AM »
Price wise Realty Income Corp at $58.04 is much lower than VNQ at $83.82 ... hmmmm

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 11:55:50 AM »
Price wise Realty Income Corp at $58.04 is much lower than VNQ at $83.82 ... hmmmm

Share price has no meaning because the underlying assets are not homogenous.  You want to compare most likely price to book ratio rental REITs.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 12:05:30 PM »
Going to crawl back into my cave and stuff money in my mattress again ...

I don't think I'm cut out to invest ... my brain is going to explode with information and I just can't sort through it all lol....

But thank you for the response Financial.Velociraptor ;) ... would you buy Realty Income?

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 12:40:59 PM »
I don't own any and wouldn't buy it right now.  It's a great company, just overly loved at the moment.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 06:13:31 PM »
VRE.TO or ZRE.TO would be a better idea if you're Canadian, IMHO.

ZRE is equal weight, which I like.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 10:00:16 AM »
What about HXT or HXS??? These are index funds too that have dividends reinvested automatically ... I think if I put in my TFSA there wouldn't be any capital gains and the MER's are very low .03% (until Sept at least) and .1% respectively ...

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 10:52:55 AM »
What about HXT or HXS??? These are index funds too that have dividends reinvested automatically ... I think if I put in my TFSA there wouldn't be any capital gains and the MER's are very low .03% (until Sept at least) and .1% respectively ...

You pay no tax of any kind on anything *received* in a TFSA.

You do lose any foreign withholding tax, but that is invisible to you. In a TFSA, don't bother with swap based stuff, IMHO.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 11:30:22 AM »

You do lose any foreign withholding tax, but that is invisible to you. In a TFSA, don't bother with swap based stuff, IMHO.
Thanks daverobev!!
So just stick with my 3 etf's even in my TFSA? ZAG/VCN/XAW? That would be super easy lol...

Hargrove

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 02:48:30 PM »
I own a bunch of O. Their track record is excellent, they just added about 10% to their property total, and they've been down from their high for a long time.

Overly loved? Yes, still probably overly loved.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 03:54:27 PM »

Thanks daverobev!!
So just stick with my 3 etf's even in my TFSA? ZAG/VCN/XAW? That would be super easy lol...

Absolutely. No point adding complexity, for absolutely no gain.

The time to own a swap-based product is if you're trying to avoid dividends, which is only something to worry about when unregistered. But for a Canadian ETF you're getting a break on the dividends already if unreg.

StreetCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 05:31:06 PM »
You seem to be a complete newbie with regards to REITs.  There's no shame in that - everybody has to start somewhere.  You are also asking some very basic questions such as quoted below - again, nothing to feel bad about.

I don't know enough about investing to know the difference between and REIT and an REIT ETF lol.. (but I will be googling that it a minute!)

However... with the kind of knowledge/skills you have in this space, you should NOT be investing in REITs at this time, period.

My suggestion would be to put your money in a more conservative vehicle (such as CDs or other couch potato portfolios), OR for the time being invest it in something that you understand.  In the meanwhile, spend some time and educate yourself in REIT investing space.

Like Mr. Buffett says, never invest in anything that you don't understand.  It's one thing to get inputs from forum members on the pros/cons of Realty Income (O).  But if you are going to make investment decisions mainly based on something that you heard on this forum or any other forum, I think you are asking for trouble.

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, but I don't want you getting burnt.  The way you are approaching this does not at all seem like a good idea to me.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 06:25:08 PM »
You seem to be a complete newbie with regards to REITs.  There's no shame in that - everybody has to start somewhere.  You are also asking some very basic questions such as quoted below - again, nothing to feel bad about.

I don't know enough about investing to know the difference between and REIT and an REIT ETF lol.. (but I will be googling that it a minute!)

Noted StreetCat! And thanks ... I tend to agree with you entirely ... I think I will couch potato it and try and learn more ... I have been trying to get the basics down for quite awhile but I can't seem to get my mind around it all. Yet I still want to do it argh...

I will do the AA a la couch potato and sit on it... if I didn't HAVE to invest that $100,000 this year I wouldn't be so rushed but I have to get those rrsp's in to counter the capital gains.

I appreciate EVERYONE'S comments !!!

However... with the kind of knowledge/skills you have in this space, you should NOT be investing in REITs at this time, period.

My suggestion would be to put your money in a more conservative vehicle (such as CDs or other couch potato portfolios), OR for the time being invest it in something that you understand.  In the meanwhile, spend some time and educate yourself in REIT investing space.

Like Mr. Buffett says, never invest in anything that you don't understand.  It's one thing to get inputs from forum members on the pros/cons of Realty Income (O).  But if you are going to make investment decisions mainly based on something that you heard on this forum or any other forum, I think you are asking for trouble.

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, but I don't want you getting burnt.  The way you are approaching this does not at all seem like a good idea to me.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2017, 08:08:49 AM »
Thanks Finances_With_Purpose... its ok I grew up with three older brothers lol... I am use to harsh words ... but when they are true its ok.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2017, 08:11:37 AM »
I actually started tracking O a while ago as part of a project to track all of the "single letter" stocks, i.e. Ford (F), Citigroup (C), etc.

My goal was to create an index based on a random characteristic to try to break free from the market hype cycle.

I never put money into it, but there's still time...

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2017, 11:06:10 AM »

Share price has no meaning because the underlying assets are not homogenous.  You want to compare most likely price to book ratio rental REITs.

To piggyback on Financial.Velociraptor's post, FFO or Funds From Operations, is another commonly used metric for evaluating REITs.  Earnings Per Share, often used with other stocks, doesn't work well for REITs due to the high depreciation charges they take on properties that obscures the true value of the property, and they will all look very expensive on an EPS basis.

Like StreetCat said, it is probably worth learning more about REITs and how to evaluate them before taking the plunge.  Realty Income is in my opinion a very good REIT, which in fact I own in my Roth IRA, but you will have to do your own analysis on whether the current price is fair or not.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2017, 12:25:38 PM »
One problem with VNQ is that you're holding a lot of mall and retail REITs. If you wouldn't invest in a failing bricks-and-mortar retailer like Sears, JC Penny, or Dillards, why in the world would you invest in their landlord, who will not be able to rent the space for anywhere near current amounts after these companies disappear? I don't think investors have discounted the real estate enough to justify what's going on in retail.

If you own 3-5 REITs in the apartment, industrial, healthcare, or digital industries, you have a RE portfolio diversified across thousands of properties and you don't own a ghost mall. Good enough for me!

smallstache

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2017, 07:27:33 PM »
Disclosure: I own about $60k in Realty Income plus however much my index funds own. The individual holding is less than 5% of my portfolio and less than 2.5% of net worth. I own $0 of VNQ.

If you are looking for diversification, look past VNQ. The top holding, Simon Property Group, consumes about 8% of NAV, which is really high for an index fund. SPG is a mall operator, and the previous comment suggested why malls may not be a good investment right now.

Realty Income is a triple-net REIT, meaning the tenant pays taxes, utilities, and insurance as well as rent. Its tenants are also commercial businesses but are mainly things like shipping companies, drugstores, dollar stores, and movie theaters. It will take Amazon longer to put these companies out of business than the shopping mall. E-commerce needs shipping, people need meds right away, and dollar stores will always be popular with segments of society (including my cheap ass). Movie theaters...well I don't know about that one. The company is also geographically diverse, having tenants in 49 states with no state representing more than 10% of revenues. An event like Harvey might wipe out some tenants in Texas, but the rest of the country will be fine while Houston bounces back.

A year ago, Realty Income was $72/sh, which was a ridiculously high price point compared to funds from operations. Post-election, when interest rates shot up, the stock went down to the mid-to-low $50s and I bought some more. It has moved very little since then, which has been nice because my holding is set to reinvest dividends.

The big risks with Realty Income are (1) management fucking up and (2) interest rates shooing up. The company has a 48-year track record, but any executive staff can make one or more bad decisions that tank a company. Interest rates can be a double-whammy by reducing profit and making bonds a more attractive alternative to all REITs. Conversely, falling interest rates are great for REITs.

Mighty-Dollar

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2017, 03:36:37 AM »
Hopefully you're aware that you're investing in one single company in the most volatile asset class (real estate). You're amplifying risk. REIT index has 19.62 standard deviation. Large caps 17.5. https://www.mfs.com/wps/FileServerServlet?articleId=templatedata/internet/file/data/sales_tools/mfsvp_20yrsb_fly&servletCommand=default

smallstache

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2017, 05:27:17 AM »
Hopefully you're aware that you're investing in one single company in the most volatile asset class (real estate). You're amplifying risk. REIT index has 19.62 standard deviation. Large caps 17.5. https://www.mfs.com/wps/FileServerServlet?articleId=templatedata/internet/file/data/sales_tools/mfsvp_20yrsb_fly&servletCommand=default

The chart compares REITs to asset classes such as "bonds" and "international."  Of course REITs will have a higher standard deviation. A more informed chart would compare REITs to industries, not asset classes.

On the other hand, your chart shows that REITs perform very well most years and are the second highest "asset class" on average.

StudentEngineer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2017, 10:51:17 AM »
Disclosure: I own about $60k in Realty Income plus however much my index funds own. The individual holding is less than 5% of my portfolio and less than 2.5% of net worth. I own $0 of VNQ.

Do you own any other REITs smallstache?  I've got ~$2,800 of O in my Roth and am thinking about getting OHI, FRT, SKT, or WPC later this fall.  Any thoughts these REITS?

Also why no VNQ?  A ~4.5% yield is pretty good.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 11:01:42 AM by StudentEngineer »

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2017, 12:08:41 PM »

Do you own any other REITs smallstache?  I've got ~$2,800 of O in my Roth and am thinking about getting OHI, FRT, SKT, or WPC later this fall.  Any thoughts these REITS?

I hold OHI. It bounces wildly between $30 and $35 and has done so for a long time. I supplement the 8% yield with another 2% by selling covered calls at the $35 strike when there's a volatility spike and/or the stock is at its high range. This is an exploratory strategy for me with about $15k at stake.

If you choose to give this strategy a try, buy in by writing an ITM put. That way you start out 1% ahead!

See my and smallstache's earlier comments about VNQ and the mall REITs.

StudentEngineer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2017, 12:23:22 PM »

I hold OHI. It bounces wildly between $30 and $35 and has done so for a long time. I supplement the 8% yield with another 2% by selling covered calls at the $35 strike when there's a volatility spike and/or the stock is at its high range. This is an exploratory strategy for me with about $15k at stake.

If you choose to give this strategy a try, buy in by writing an ITM put. That way you start out 1% ahead!

Thanks for your advice.  Where would you point a relatively new investor like myself to learn about options trading?

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2017, 12:37:57 PM »

Thanks for your advice.  Where would you point a relatively new investor like myself to learn about options trading?

Here are three good places:

https://www.optionseducation.org/en.html
Www.optionalpha.com
Your local library has tons of books on options.

Be careful, and remember this: If you buy an option, you can lose 100%. If you sell an option, you can lose over 100%!

smallstache

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2017, 04:53:19 PM »
Don't think of a REIT as anything other than a company that makes money selling a product to its customers. The only difference between O and GM (besides the obvious) is that GM is taxed at the company-level and O is not. Both pay distributions that are taxed at the shareholder-level. GM's dividend is taxed as a "qualified dividend" where as O's distribution (technically not a dividend) is a mix of ordinary income and return of capital.

There is nothing about a REIT that is inherently better than any other investment. REITs (and business development companies and "Yieldcos") tend to pay higher yields because they must pay out 90% of their net income in order to not pay tax at the company-level. In a sense, this is a subsidy to these companies written into the tax code. Congress wanted to develop real estate, form small businesses, and assist timber and other companies.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2017, 07:59:33 PM »

If you are making statements like this ^^^ you need to take a break from investing to actually understand what you are investing in and come up with a plan. Not being harsh, but understanding what you are buying is fundamental to investing. Otherwise you are just throwing pasta at the wall to see what sticks.

JL Collins stock series is a good place to start: http://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/

I would also start reading up on all the basic terms you see on this forum like ETF, mutual fund, REIT, etc.. until you get a handle on them.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:02:01 PM by Retire-Canada »

Interest Compound

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2017, 02:07:29 AM »

If you are making statements like this ^^^ you need to take a break from investing to actually understand what you are investing in and come up with a plan. Not being harsh, but understanding what you are buying is fundamental to investing. Otherwise you are just throwing pasta at the wall to see what sticks.

JL Collins stock series is a good place to start: http://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/

I would also start reading up on all the basic terms you see on this forum like ETF, mutual fund, REIT, etc.. until you get a handle on them.

+1

This is a recipe for disaster. There are red-flag comments all over this thread. SweetLife, just buy total-market index funds and feel good knowing you'll automatically beat (or match) over 50% of all money invested in the market every single year. Studies show that over the long-term, you're nearly guaranteed to beat people who invest in single stocks like REIT Reality Income (O).

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2017, 01:16:26 PM »

+1

This is a recipe for disaster. There are red-flag comments all over this thread. SweetLife, just buy total-market index funds and feel good knowing you'll automatically beat (or match) over 50% of all money invested in the market every single year. Studies show that over the long-term, you're nearly guaranteed to beat people who invest in single stocks like REIT Reality Income (O).

Thanks! that is what i planned on doing (mentioned upthread) after the advice on here... simpler for me.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!