Author Topic: Recommendation for software to analyze investments allocated over several sites  (Read 3216 times)

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
Anyone have a recommendation for a simple (hopefully free and online) tool for analyzing the allocation of several investment accounts held in different sites?

What I want to do is plug in the data and get a report on what the allocation is overall - - e.g. % US, % International, stock / bond, etc. Basically I'd like an overview report in the way Vanguard provides me when I log in to look at my account there.

Reason for this is because I want to plug in data from my Vanguard account, bank cash, wife's retirement account (non Vanguard), and wife's Vanguard account, and get one overview summary of how it's all allocated.

I'm bad at Excel and don't want to give account access to Mint or Personal Capital, so looking for some other options.

Nothlit

• Bristles
Vanguard can already do this. You can add "outside investments" and Vanguard will include them in its overall portfolio analysis for you. You will have to manually enter the ticker symbols and update the # of shares, etc. over time as Vanguard can't automatically pull it in. But it sounds like that's what you were planning to do anyway.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
Do what Nothlit said and then go to Portfolio watch on the Vanguard website. To get to it client on "My accounts" and in the drop down Portfolio Watch is the last link in the center column.

I know you just said you don't want to link everything like Mint does. Vanguard does have that option, or you can manually add them.

Born2Run

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Another option is Morningstar's Instant X-Ray ...
http://portfolio.morningstar.com/Rtport/Free/InstantXRayDEntry.aspx
Use Ticker Symbol CASH$ for cash.

webguy

• Bristles
Personal capital does this. I use it to get an overall asset allocation across all of my investment accounts. It's pretty awesome.

Nothlit

• Bristles
Personal capital does this. I use it to get an overall asset allocation across all of my investment accounts. It's pretty awesome.

I'm bad at Excel and don't want to give account access to Mint or Personal Capital, so looking for some other options.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
Thanks everyone for all the input -

Another option is Morningstar's Instant X-Ray ...
http://portfolio.morningstar.com/Rtport/Free/InstantXRayDEntry.aspx
Use Ticker Symbol CASH$ for cash.

I tried the M* one -- thanks.  It's an overview, but not quite broken out like I want.

I started entering info into Vanguard under the "outside investments," but didn't have the share #s available from my wife's accounts, just the dollar amounts.  I'll look up the share #s and enter those into Vanguard.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
You don't need to be an excel wiz.  All you're doing for a simple sheet is entering an account name, then each fund and categorize it as US stock, US bond, International stock, as examples.  I color code, so US stock is light blue.....international is red and bond is purple.

At the bottom, I do a function of sum of, all the us stock, then total all us bond, then all int stock.

Total all.

To right of each of the function sums, divide by the total.  There's your percentage.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
Thanks everyone. Vanguard did what I was looking for, after adding outside investments and running the portfolio analyzer tool.