Author Topic: Recommend me a stock for $6 or less  (Read 4942 times)

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
Recommend me a stock for $6 or less
« on: May 12, 2016, 02:37:35 PM »
I have 6 bones in my Robinhood account that I want to play with.  Anyone have any recommendations?  I know lending club is way down atm.

capitalninja

• Stubble
  • Know what the other guy is making on the deal...
    • Entrepreneur, Investor, Life Advice
Re: Recommend me a stock for $6 or less
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 02:45:20 PM »
Put another 183 dollars in your Robinhood account and buy ticker symbol: VOO

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 07:45:00 PM »
Most stocks that cheap should be avoided. They are that cheap for a reason.

Socmonkey

• Stubble
    • Doubling Dollars
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 12:11:11 AM »
GPL

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 08:30:34 AM »
Back in February I would have recommended AMD, but I think it's fairly-valued now. Still, that's fairly-valued, not overvalued, so it could still be a buy if you can't find something better. (I think it'll be close to $4/share, if not more, by next year as long as Zen doesn't flop.)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 08:33:28 AM »
You should be able to get both beef and chicken stock for that price. . . with a few other cheap ingredients this can be made into a hearty soup that pays dividends for some while.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 08:36:28 AM »
Endocyte.   $3.40 or thereabouts.  Sell it for $4 to $4.50 this summer or hold it for a couple of years to try for $200 a share.

Aphalite

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 03:32:23 PM »
Since this question is for fun (you couldn't cover commissions with $6 at most brokerages), I'll throw out a fun answer. If you have a time machine, you could go back to 2008 and buy a share of Starbucks for $7.17. That would now, with dividends reinvested, be 2.21 shares for $55.82 each, or $123.32 total - CAGR of 46.3%

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 06:17:25 PM »
Since this question is for fun (you couldn't cover commissions with $6 at most brokerages), I'll throw out a fun answer. If you have a time machine, you could go back to 2008 and buy a share of Starbucks for $7.17. That would now, with dividends reinvested, be 2.21 shares for $55.82 each, or $123.32 total - CAGR of 46.3%

Daaaaaaaaaaamn

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 06:23:18 PM »

Daaaaaaaaaaamn

That is stupid.  Set the time machine back a few hundred years and buy $6 worth of beads and outbid for Manhattan Island.   Instant billionaire today.

mjones1234

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 08:02:38 PM »
Try to forget about how many shares you can buy and concentrate on the percentage gain. Go for high quality stock in a company you understand. For example, if you like to smoke Camels, buy RAI (Reynolds Tobacco). Or you like drinking Corona, try STZ (Constelation Brands). Id rather have 10 shares of ownership in a great company making products i like than 100 shares of a company ive never heard of. Trust me, tnis methodology works. Just ask the Oracle of Omaha.

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 08:49:50 PM »
Try to forget about how many shares you can buy and concentrate on the percentage gain. Go for high quality stock in a company you understand. For example, if you like to smoke Camels, buy RAI (Reynolds Tobacco). Or you like drinking Corona, try STZ (Constelation Brands). Id rather have 10 shares of ownership in a great company making products i like than 100 shares of a company ive never heard of. Trust me, tnis methodology works. Just ask the Oracle of Omaha.

I decided i'm going to buy a clean energy share.  Watching SunPower at the moment.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 09:04:39 PM »
I've been considering buying some Lending Club stock - I guess I want to gamble that it's hit bottom, and that in a year it'll be doing gangbusters.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 09:27:31 PM »

I could name a lot in the 10 dollar range

For six bones you could go NM and wait for a short cover (do a limit sell of $1.50 you might get lucky in a couple months), or WHLR and collect the monthly yield, SDRL can rally fast with a little luck

It can get really explosive if you invest in a dollar stock when it dips into penny. Any old company on the verge of bankruptcy will do. They all wont go under.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 09:59:50 PM »
Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are a couple of sub 6 buck lottery tickets.  If the hedge funds win their lawsuits...instant 10 baggers.  Else, decay to zero.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 06:57:42 AM »

I decided i'm going to buy a clean energy share.  Watching SunPower at the moment.

SPWR won't go below $6. But GLBL is already there. And pays a 44% dividend. And will probably double (or more) this year.