Author Topic: Quick & Dumb Question  (Read 1600 times)

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
Quick & Dumb Question
« on: February 02, 2015, 02:14:58 AM »
Since I'm a control freak, I've never used Vanguard's "maximize" option for automatic contributions, but I decided to start doing it this year to eliminate the human factor.

I have some extra money lying around and want to just toss it in the IRA now to get close to finishing it off early but I want to know how that affects the "maximize" function. Let's say my auto contributions are on the 15th and were previously going at the autopliot $458.33 to get the yearly $5500. However, on the 10th I decide to put enough in that it brings me within, say $300. Will Vanguard automatically change my contribution to $300 for the 15th and then stop for the rest of the year? Or will it spread the $300 over the rest of the year?

tl:dr, will Vanguard's automatic contribution "maximize" feature adjust downward in a given month if you toss a bunch of cash into your IRA?

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
Re: Quick & Dumb Question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 05:35:32 AM »
Ask them.

bdoubleu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Quick & Dumb Question
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 05:54:19 AM »
If you make a one-time contribution, before okaying the transaction, Vanguard will alert you that you may end up over-contributing for the year if you do not adjust your "automatic max" settings.

You have to manually go into your account maintenance screen and choose to decrease your "automatic max" contribution amount (which it will calculate for you again).

You can change your settings at any time.