Author Topic: Quick 401K Question  (Read 1686 times)

wkumtrider

• Stubble
Quick 401K Question
« on: June 15, 2017, 10:05:35 AM »
I am contributing the max to my 401K ($18,000) distributed throughout the year.  I will reach max before December.  Once I hit the max, will the deductions from payroll stop automatically, or will I have to stop them?  Or does the employer dictate whether the deductions stop or not?

Thanks for the help!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Re: Quick 401K Question
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 10:11:57 AM »
typically they are stopped automatically.

what you'll want to look into is if you get any match how your company handles that.

Neo

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 10:12:16 AM »
At my work they stop automatically, but you'll need to ask your HR department.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 10:14:04 AM »
Depends on the employer, but most will stop it automatically once you hit $18K.

Do you get a match?  If so, you might want to double-check that you're not losing any money by not having December contributions.  Some employers will "true-up" if you hit your max early.  Some don't.  For some it doesn't matter - a guy today said his plan offers 25% match with no limit - a perfect 401K situation to front-load.  So just know the rules.

wkumtrider

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 10:28:26 AM »
Great, thanks for the replies.  I'll ask HR.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 11:25:14 AM »
yeah at my company you dont lose match by funding early but it is delayed going into your account til april the follwoing year.  so i try to hit that on the nose every time.  but thats been hard b/c over 20% of my salary comes in 2 weeks before the end of the year and it can be bigger or smaller than expected and thats really hard to guage.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 05:47:25 PM »
It's generally in the employer's best interest not to allow employees to contribute too much. I've never heard of a case where that was allowed by the payroll systems except for the case of an employee who joined the company mid-year and went over the limit between the previous and current 401(k) plans combined. It's still worth checking in to be sure, I guess.

The question of any matching funds will differ between employers. Many employers do a "true-up" at the end of the year to make sure you get the same match from front-loading as you would get if you contributed evenly throughout the year. Many do not. That aspect really does vary.