Author Topic: Published on Seeking Alpha!  (Read 6031 times)

Socmonkey

• Stubble
    • Doubling Dollars
Published on Seeking Alpha!
« on: August 14, 2017, 04:22:57 PM »
I know a lot of you just throw everything into a Vanguard fund and call it good, but I like to research stocks. I also like side-hustles, so I figured I would merge the two and become a contributor to Seeking Alpha.

Well, my first article was published today and I am excited. It is an analysis of Albemarle, a specialty chemical company that is at the head of lithium mining. Well, the lithium craze has drove valuations wild and it is now priced sky-high. I sold my shares last week and finally got around to writing my article this weekend. I submitted it to the site and they accepted it!

Here is the link if anyone cares to read it: https://seekingalpha.com/article/4098809-albemarle-great-company-strong-sell

If not, just think about the new side-hustle avenue I opened up. :D

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
Re: Published on Seeking Alpha!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 04:41:56 PM »
Gogogogogogo!

I've had three articles turned down by SA.  I mostly blog about options and they don't accept options articles.  So when I try to publish for them, it is always outside my wheelhouse.

Hope you get a zillion views and make fat cash!

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 09:47:58 PM »
Do they pay? If so, how much?

KisLivingAbroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 10:40:18 PM »
Congrats!! Very insightful analysis - hope this is the first of many.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Socmonkey

• Stubble
    • Doubling Dollars
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 08:39:55 AM »
Gogogogogogo!

I've had three articles turned down by SA.  I mostly blog about options and they don't accept options articles.  So when I try to publish for them, it is always outside my wheelhouse.

Hope you get a zillion views and make fat cash!

Thanks, FV.

Do they pay? If so, how much?

A standard article is bought for $35, plus an additional penny per view.

Congrats!! Very insightful analysis - hope this is the first of many.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks Kis, I plan to write the occasional article when I find something worth sharing. It can add a bit of side-hustle income that will go straight to investments.

Pylortes

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 07:05:34 PM »
Sweet, I love Seeking Alpha!  I checked out your article but lithium stocks are also outside my area.  Any other stocks you plan to cover in the future?

Socmonkey

• Stubble
    • Doubling Dollars
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 11:18:16 AM »
Sweet, I love Seeking Alpha!  I checked out your article but lithium stocks are also outside my area.  Any other stocks you plan to cover in the future?

I'm working on an article about the major food brands and their diminishing influence in the market. Most processed foods companies such as GIS, K, CPB, etc. peaked in sales around 2014 and sales have been on the decline even with acquisitions. They have held on by increasing the bottom-line, but how much more waste can they continue to cut? Since they have a reputation as 'safe' dividend paying stocks they have seen stock price gains since.

Campbell's Soup (CPB) for example, has a P/E of 34 but it has both decreasing sales and earnings! Paying a premium price for a company in decline is crazy.

I go into why the decline is happening, so more of a general article on that particular market.

Any company you are interested in a report on?

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 11:33:56 AM »
Well done! I often wondered what seeking alpha paid.

My lithium play is orocobre ... just a dabble. YMMV

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 11:46:48 AM »
Badass. Nice!

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 02:59:03 PM »

I'm working on an article about the major food brands and their diminishing influence in the market. Most processed foods companies such as GIS, K, CPB, etc. peaked in sales around 2014 and sales have been on the decline even with acquisitions. They have held on by increasing the bottom-line, but how much more waste can they continue to cut? Since they have a reputation as 'safe' dividend paying stocks they have seen stock price gains since.

Campbell's Soup (CPB) for example, has a P/E of 34 but it has both decreasing sales and earnings! Paying a premium price for a company in decline is crazy.

I go into why the decline is happening, so more of a general article on that particular market.

It certainly isn't the case that people are buying less food, they're just switching to smaller companies that sell healthier foods. The food blue chips have developed a reputation for selling salted fat with sugar on top. Younger generations observing the epidemics of obesity and diabetes. Brand names like Kraft, Kellog, Smithfield, Hostess, and General Mills have gone from being assets to being liabilities. These companies shouldn't be carrying half the goodwill on their balance sheets that they carry.

Socmonkey

• Stubble
    • Doubling Dollars
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »

It certainly isn't the case that people are buying less food, they're just switching to smaller companies that sell healthier foods. The food blue chips have developed a reputation for selling salted fat with sugar on top. Younger generations observing the epidemics of obesity and diabetes. Brand names like Kraft, Kellog, Smithfield, Hostess, and General Mills have gone from being assets to being liabilities. These companies shouldn't be carrying half the goodwill on their balance sheets that they carry.

Yes, and even though the big guys have been buying up the smaller healthy food brands it hasn't stopped the decline. Those acquisitions are always at a premium price too, so debt has been increasing. But still, the stock prices have increased as they have always been considered 'safe' companies. The narrative is changing and that assumption of safety needs to change too. Though I must admit, many invest in those for the dividends and those are safe even with declining sales, for awhile.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 06:08:31 PM »

Yes, and even though the big guys have been buying up the smaller healthy food brands it hasn't stopped the decline. Those acquisitions are always at a premium price too, so debt has been increasing. But still, the stock prices have increased as they have always been considered 'safe' companies. The narrative is changing and that assumption of safety needs to change too. Though I must admit, many invest in those for the dividends and those are safe even with declining sales, for awhile.
/\ Exhibit A for why I hate dividend stocks. They are paid by companies that are past their peak. Investors continually underestimate how quickly the business world changes. Many would be better off in a 3% bond than a soon-to-be-declining 4% dividend stock.

Pylortes

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 07:03:27 PM »

Interesting I will look forward to the article.  I agree with your own thesis here.  I think we'll continue to see acquisitions and consolidations in this industry as the bigger players look to hold off the declines by purchasing more revenue and bottom line.  I agree that if you believe a company is in the decline phase that paying 34 times earnings is not a good recipe (hah ha pun there) for investing success.  It's been a while since I've looked at the industry.  I owned PEP for years but sold out within the past couple of years. I have looked at JM Smuckers and K and GIS in the distant past but never saw enough to pull the trigger.  It's been years since I even looked at CPB.

Don't know if you follow any of these but right now some of the companies I'm most interested in are Discover Financial (DFS), Disney (DIS), EBIX, Royal Dutch Shell (RDS.B), Phillips 66 (PSX), Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.B), American Tower,  Walmart (WMT), there are others but any of these would grab my attention pronto!

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 01:48:12 AM »

+1 on that. I bought some GIS last last year because the yield was OK and I was hoping for a buyout bump when 3G made another move. But it didn't happen, so got out. :-)

Socmonkey

• Stubble
    • Doubling Dollars
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 02:24:15 PM »

Well, my thesis is coming to fruition with Campbell's down 8%, taking much of the rest of the food industry down too.