Author Topic: Public service pensions, Wall Street, Hedge funds and the Government  (Read 2281 times)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Thought this would be good for discussion.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/looting-the-pension-funds-20130926

I love Rolling Stone. And not just because deep down I'm a loony leftie trapped inside a rational right brain.

Matt Taibbi always tries to nail those who deserve to be crucified, it's just a crying shame that those in a position to actually drop the hammer (like the Justice department or the SEC) choose not to because they are in bed with the greedy criminals.

So whats the lesson? Take control of your own life and investments and don't leave it to the shonky polticians and Wall Street to manage.

I would also love to get an answer to the question of "how deep does your pocket have to be before you are above the law"?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
Re: Public service pensions, Wall Street, Hedge funds and the Government
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 05:35:17 PM »
Matt Taibbi always tries to nail those who deserve to be crucified
Ugh. Raimondo has this horrible streak of righteousness to him. Even if I was inclined to agree with him before I opened the article, the bias drips off it so thickly that I'm turned off and instead I'm stuck disagreeing with almost every word. He takes facts and adds three coats of bullshit and slop, then calls it an article

it's just a crying shame that those in a position to actually drop the hammer (like the Justice department or the SEC) choose not to because they are in bed with the greedy criminals.
A compelling Rolling Stone article does not a winnable court case make.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 05:54:08 PM »

it's just a crying shame that those in a position to actually drop the hammer (like the Justice department or the SEC) choose not to because they are in bed with the greedy criminals.
A compelling Rolling Stone article does not a winnable court case make.

Yes but thats the problem. If the legal and regulatory system did their collective job then you wouldn't see articles like this.

I'm smart enough to see through the bias. But that doesn't stop the awful facts from being true. I hasten to add though that facts do go out the window when it comes to law. What chance the average punter?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 05:56:23 PM by marty998 »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 06:11:33 PM »
The ideal legal system is not the one in which every criminal is convicted. Things like the exclusionary rule and the burden of proof exist for a reason.