Author Topic: PTTRX is my only bond fund available in my 401k  (Read 1619 times)

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
PTTRX is my only bond fund available in my 401k
« on: April 03, 2016, 11:19:40 PM »
I'm looking to take on a little risk and would like to add some bonds in my 401k.

Obviously, funds where people make decisions are only as good as the people that are making the decisions.  Bill Gross left a year or two ago and PIMCO is embroiled in a lawsuit (~$200MM). 

Does anyone invest in this and have you done any research as to the risk?  This is a mega fund with almost $90B under management.  I'm not sure how that compares to years past before Bill Gross left. 

It currently yields 3.16%.

I'm also looking at doing a lump sum investment with about 20% of my assets that are currently in VTSAX.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: PTTRX is my only bond fund available in my 401k
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 06:13:01 AM »
You're looking to take on a little risk by adding bonds? Bonds are where you go to lower risk. Stocks are the riskier, more volatile, and higher return asset class.

If you don't like or aren't sure about this particular fund, you could always have some of your IRA funds in a Vanguard or other bond fund of your choice.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
Re: PTTRX is my only bond fund available in my 401k
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 10:48:49 PM »
yeah clearly a typo.  thanks for catching that.  Should have said "a little less risk"

clearly this isn't an interesting topic to the board.