Author Topic: Posted locations for buying a business?  (Read 1905 times)

Weathering

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Posted locations for buying a business?
« on: September 02, 2017, 03:34:43 PM »
Does anyone know where to find a list of businesses for sale?
For example, a local window vendor was recently sold. Would that have been listed somewhere beforehand in order to generate interest from potential buyers?

I'm thinking of buying a small business and want to see how many are for sale, etc.

Thanks!

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
Re: Posted locations for buying a business?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 05:28:54 PM »
Generally sole proprietor businesses like I'm guessing the one you described is get sold through brokers who specialize in connecting buyers and sellers and valuing small businesses. The price range will probably be determined by EBITDA (essentially annual earnings after correcting for a lot of things), with a range of multiples that will vary by sector.

If you're seriously interested it may make sense to sit down and talk with a local broker about the earnings multiples he or she is seeing businesses go for in your target business niche.

susieqzyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 06:18:33 PM »
Websites are sold on Flippa.com

SeattleCPA

• Handlebar Stache
    • Evergreen Small Business
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 05:20:56 PM »
Here's what you're probably looking for... note that site lists both franchises and non-franchises...

http://www.bizbuysell.com/

You might also find this blog post useful since it describes one approach for calculating ROIs on small business investments:

https://evergreensmallbusiness.com/small-business-investment-returns/

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 06:42:54 PM »
What your looking for are business brokers, I am sure there are some good ones, but they generally are the folks not smart enough to be investment bankers and sell business that have over $3mil/yr in EBITDA. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!