Author Topic: Personal Capital....  (Read 3563 times)

capitalninja

• Stubble
  • Know what the other guy is making on the deal...
    • Entrepreneur, Investor, Life Advice
Personal Capital....
« on: November 22, 2016, 02:19:56 PM »
How many ways can you say "I don't want you to manage my money. I don't agree with how you would manage my money. You don't provide enough value to me to justify the almost 1% drag on my portfolio."

My fault for agreeing to take the call. 40 minutes of "You need bonds. You need gold. Volatility equals risk." What an *sshat.

Thanks but I think I'll keep my portfolio management.... well. personal.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
Re: Personal Capital....
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 03:17:39 PM »
I have three magical words for you, "OK, thanks, bye!"

eudaimonia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 03:27:21 PM »
I've had the same issue as you capitalninja. Except I even told them I'm not interested in their consulting call. They keep calling me and don't seem inclined to take a hint that I'm not going to give them any of my business. Very pushy.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 03:28:08 PM »
They actually told me indexing was bad because index funds buy high and sell low.

He didn't have a good answer to why or how VTSAX matches the sp500 more or less in returns.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 06:16:23 PM »
That's unfortunate that their advisors seem so inept. They stopped calling me a while back.

VoteCthulu

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 10:45:51 PM »
My PC advisor got upset that I wasn't interested in his spiel on tax efficient investments back when I only had 401k and roth savings, then I cancelled my "free" account with them and moved to Mint.

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 07:54:10 AM »
My PC advisor got upset that I wasn't interested in his spiel on tax efficient investments back when I only had 401k and roth savings, then I cancelled my "free" account with them and moved to Mint.

I did the same.  They called me twice after I signed up.  Deleted the account and it took care of that.  Just switch to Mint if you need something like that.

futureadvisor.com is another one that I have been impressed with.  Essentially it is like Betterment but their free account just tracks things for you and it gives you an AA according to the information you filled out.  You could take all their advice and just invest DIY at Vanguard.  Of course they will also do it for you for a fee like Betterment with all the whiz bang stuff like tax loss harvesting etc. 

Best thing about Future Advisor is over a year and a half they haven't contacted me besides emails.  They also give you a nice milestone congrats when your portfolio crosses certain values (IE every 10k).  It is a nice encouraging email plus emails showing your portfolio vs. theirs (see attachment) every so often.

FA projects a withdrawal rate of 5.7% on their portfolio for the information I entered.  Of course my actual portfolio shows that it isn't going to do that good.  It is also interesting the the biggest savings rate you can enter on the site is 33%.  Just something to fiddle with and it gives you a comparison of how you are doing for free.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!