Author Topic: Personal Capital annoying  (Read 5991 times)

Maxman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Personal Capital annoying
« on: September 17, 2015, 09:22:56 AM »
I the past week I've gotten three phone calls from Personal Capital salespeople. They are very high pressure questioning every comment I made on why I wasn't interested in their high fee investment service. I feel like just hanging up, but I try to be polite. Has anyone else received these calls?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: Personal Capital annoying
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 09:32:04 AM »
I used to get them all the time, but because I tortured the callers, I got put on the Do Not Call list. Do not try to be polite. If you find yourself on one of these calls, responses like: "That's not, in fact, true", "You really have no idea what you're talking about" and: "Tell, me, how do you look at yourself in the mirror in the morning?" work like a charm. I think of all the desperate people out there sharks like this are swindling, and it just burns me.

tvan

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 09:46:59 AM »
I used to get them all the time, but because I tortured the callers, I got put on the Do Not Call list. Do not try to be polite. If you find yourself on one of these calls, responses like: "That's not, in fact, true", "You really have no idea what you're talking about" and: "Tell, me, how do you look at yourself in the mirror in the morning?" work like a charm. I think of all the desperate people out there sharks like this are swindling, and it just burns me.

Or you could just be nice to the person doing their job (probably with the same goals as you) and ask them to put you on the DNC list.

Capt Stubble

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 09:53:05 AM »
I was planning to give them a try but I couldn't link any of my accounts except 2 mortgages (so I have a negative net worth). I didn't know they had a reputation for being pushy. They called me one time and I told them about the linkage issue and they never called again.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 09:56:43 AM »
Tell them you've already opened an account with them and if they don't stop calling you'll withdraw every penny.  ...That usually works.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 10:07:49 AM »

Or you could just be nice to the person doing their job (probably with the same goals as you) and ask them to put you on the DNC list.

I am nice to the nice ones, although I am sad that they have to do this for a living. I am mean to the Sharks, who threaten me with dire consequences if I do not listen to them.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 10:09:36 AM »
I haven't found them rude. I did listen to their "personalized" pitch once figuring they might have good advice (was never going to sign up for 0.89%) but the guy was late and I hung up at exactly the time he said it was going to end originally. That frustrated him but whatever.

rmendpara

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 10:25:35 AM »
I the past week I've gotten three phone calls from Personal Capital salespeople. They are very high pressure questioning every comment I made on why I wasn't interested in their high fee investment service. I feel like just hanging up, but I try to be polite. Has anyone else received these calls?

Lol. They offer a great free platform, so it seems fair that they try and upsell you. Of course, you are free to ignore the calls, or simply hang up.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 10:33:18 AM »
yeah i got 3 calls in the first few months after signing up too.
I didn't find my phone call to be super pushy or annoying.
I just told them that I wasn't interested in the consultation, but I that I knew how to reach them if I changed my mind.
a couple of months have passed since and they haven't called again.

Maxman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 10:55:29 AM »
I did go through the 30 minute consultation about 6 months ago. I found it gimmicky. They believe that index investing overweights certain sectors. They buy the individual stocks and equal weight each sector (health, technology, energy, ext.). It could work but with a .89 fee structure I am sure that one would lose long term. So I told them thank you for the presentation, but I am not interested.

Since then I have received about 1 phone call a month with not much pressure to invest. The last week the calls have ramped up and the pressure was high. It felt like the pressure one gets to buy an extended warranty on a big purchase. I am over sixty years old maybe they feel with the recent downturn in the market that they can prey on retirees. Or maybe its a company wide policy to now hard sell their product.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 12:26:27 PM »
I got some calls when I first joined. I told them I manage all my own investments and haven't gotten a call since. It was easy enough.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 01:25:07 PM »
^+1. They went away after awhile.