Author Topic: Personal Capital  (Read 1030 times)

M2 pilot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Personal Capital
« on: January 25, 2021, 06:55:31 PM »
Do any of you use Personal Capital for your investments?  I'm thinking of moving my investments there.
Thanks

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Personal Capital
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 05:54:19 AM »
We used PC to track our investments across multiple platforms before Schwab introduced features to connect everything to our brokerage account. Then we deleted our PC account.

I would not use PC to invest. Their fees are lower than most individual financial advisors, but we still believe in doing that ourselves. Most advisors only beat the market by luck. Research it: more than 90% don't beat the market over time. If you haven't yet researched how the fees for submarket performance add years and even decades to your FIRE horizon, please do.

Instead, just pick index funds and an asset allocation that work for you, and rebalance periodically. It's daunting at first but soon it's like riding a bike. We use Ray Dalio's All Season's (aka All Weather) Portfolio. It's a low volatility portfolio that fits our situation and goals. Give it a Google or message me for more info.

Many others here just use a single Vanguard or other low-fee broad market equity index fund.

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 06:37:03 AM »
PC is good for aggregating and tracking investments, but I don't agree with their investment approach. PC finally left me alone when I was honest and told a woman who called that, "even if you paid me, I wouldn't let you manage my money."

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 08:49:25 AM »
I love PC for monitoring across multiple accounts and tracking net worth, but I wouldn't invest with them. I want to control my investments, not hand it over to a professional investor. Additionally, I've never met a financial advisor who thinks like a Mustachian - especially at large institutions like Personal Capital.

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 10:00:07 AM »
PC is good for aggregating and tracking investments, but I don't agree with their investment approach. PC finally left me alone when I was honest and told a woman who called that, "even if you paid me, I wouldn't let you manage my money."

That's hilarious. What did she say to that?

I am in alignment with other posters on this thread- I track using PC but invest using Vanguard (VTSAX primarily).

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 08:50:46 PM »

That's hilarious. What did she say to that?

I am in alignment with other posters on this thread- I track using PC but invest using Vanguard (VTSAX primarily).

She was actually really nice about it, thanking me for being frank with her. Before that, PC had been regularly contacting me, trying to get me to sign up with them. Since that call, I haven't heard anything from them, not even once. So, she must've made a note in my file, or something.