Author Topic: Need to convert Whole Life policy into stock portfolio  (Read 1488 times)

HAL9000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Need to convert Whole Life policy into stock portfolio
« on: December 31, 2014, 03:01:18 PM »
I have decided to cash in a whole life policy I have been paying into, for the past 20 years. I no longer need the policies coverage.

I will receive about $27k. I will be paying taxes on $9k of that, so I will net about $25k.

I would like to invest these funds into stocks and would like to be able to tap into the returns when I reach FI in about 10-15 years. I am 42 now.

Should I go with a IRA or Roth?

IRA I have to wait until 59, Roth I pay taxes up front, but can extract cash from it anytime? I am leaning towards a roth.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 03:03:17 PM by HAL9000 »

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Need to convert Whole Life policy into stock portfolio
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 03:24:43 PM »
Roth vs. Traditional has to do with your marginal tax rate today vs. your expected effective tax rate in the future.  Right now my wife and I are cramming as much into traditional as we can, but we're in the 25% bracket.  If we were in the 10% bracket, we might make a different decision.

Also the 59.5 rule is only for lemmings - search 72T (Substantially Equal Periodic Payments) and Roth IRA Pipeline for a couple ways to get to that money early.