Author Topic: Ownership, Money, Power  (Read 4750 times)

DrTesla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Ownership, Money, Power
« on: March 19, 2014, 01:08:27 PM »
I figured out the other day that the difference between being a worker drone and a CEO of a 200 person engineering firm is about $13,000,000 dollars in value. (Roughly -$32M in debts and $40 in property, trade, cash, etc. plus some deals in shares or terms/perks) "Up for Sale" when/if the owner wishes to cash out.

Ownership, it is available for anyone to buy and rule. Ruler of 200 jobs.

Now if you start a business from scratch, you may be creating new jobs after successfully making profits from your new business over time; and you are the owner of these new jobs, which get filled by people through hiring contracts and negotiations.

You, as owner, also have the rulership of destroying these jobs if deemed necessary or wanted, either is at your pleasure or dismay.

You become the King of the Chessboard with control over all your pieces of various talents or simple pawn roles. Will you sacrifice some pawns for the win? Or trade them to other companies? Maybe even hire then back when you have conquered completely??

You also are the last piece on the board if shit hits the fan; whether you caused the failures of your company, or the consumers/economy/forces of nature/competition took your company out.

The responsibility is yours as owner to "win" the game and in leading the morale of the employees least they quit on you. But all pieces are replaceable right? (in United Kingdom employees are more commonly known as "subordinates".)

Interesting no?

You can go from crew member to Captain with $,$$$,$$$ saved, earned, stolen, or lawfully taken in taxes and lawfully appropriated to your cause from the people.

With this example, money can lead to power; or with financial independence it can lead to freedom.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:49:53 PM by DrTesla »

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
Re: Ownership, Money, Power
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 01:12:24 PM »
Que es esto?

KingCoin

• Pencil Stache
  • Achieved FI @ 30
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 01:25:04 PM »
Downsides of business ownership? Usually more stress, more hours, higher risk of personal bankruptcy if the ship goes down.

Talk to almost anyone who's started a small business and they'll tell you that it can quickly become life-dominating; often destroying relationships in the process.  Also, my understanding is that most small business owners don't make more than employees of other corporations.

"How to Get Rich" by Felix Dennis is a great primer on the benefits and pitfalls of business ownership.

If you want to become seriously rich, starting your own company is the best game in town. However, that doesn't mean grinding out a couple million in savings in a traditional corporate gig isn't a bad way to go too. Entrepreneurship isn't for everyone.

yahui168

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 02:19:01 PM »
Money to get power, power to protect money

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 02:36:20 PM »
Downsides of business ownership? Usually more stress, more hours, higher risk of personal bankruptcy if the ship goes down.

Talk to almost anyone who's started a small business and they'll tell you that it can quickly become life-dominating; often destroying relationships in the process.  Also, my understanding is that most small business owners don't make more than employees of other corporations.

"How to Get Rich" by Felix Dennis is a great primer on the benefits and pitfalls of business ownership.

If you want to become seriously rich, starting your own company is the best game in town. However, that doesn't mean grinding out a couple million in savings in a traditional corporate gig isn't a bad way to go too. Entrepreneurship isn't for everyone.

As a business owner for 22 years..I could not of said better on my own! Not to mention how many times I got screwed by educating people to go on and become my competitors! I don't care how strong a non-compete is written up.  Thats why 2 years ago I was fried and went into ER. Ship goes down now would I be sad...sure because now I am just collecting a check but the legacy and all that crap...blah!

William

• Stubble
    • First Quarter Finance
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 02:50:15 PM »
should also take into account that 9 out of 10 startups fail in a short period of time

I believe this is so high because so many people start a business because they like doing something.  Ex: "I like baking, so I'm going to start a bakery."

Nothing great happens without passion, true.  But some people don't realize that owning a business is 20% baking cupcakes and 80% gathering ingredients.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 03:01:53 PM »
“By faithfully working eight hours a day you may eventually get to be boss and work twelve hours a day.”

― Robert Frost

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 03:17:02 PM »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 03:26:57 PM »
Money --> Power --> Women