Author Topic: OFFICIAL: Blockchain / Crypto-Currency Portfolios and Discussion  (Read 247857 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: OFFICIAL: Blockchain / Crypto-Currency Portfolios and Discussion
« Reply #1250 on: March 26, 2019, 07:43:01 PM »
I like the triangle and shit.  That's how you know the graph is totally serious.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1251 on: March 26, 2019, 07:54:42 PM »
Technical analysis and cryptocurrencies, all in one post? I feel like I win crackpot investing bingo.

Don't forget it's from a first time poster, I think that does make it bingo.  Im surprised there wasn't a link to some kind of "sure thing crypto investment opportunity". 

theolympians

• Stubble
« Reply #1252 on: March 27, 2019, 12:19:29 AM »
I like the triangle and shit.  That's how you know the graph is totally serious.

"Triangle and shit", THAT is hilarious! I can't stop laughing.

sherr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1253 on: March 27, 2019, 06:33:27 AM »
Holy cow. Does anyone anywhere actually take that word vomit seriously?

Edit: on second thought, I agree that this is clearly a troll account.

forgerator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1254 on: April 02, 2019, 05:40:55 PM »
How do you like that short position now with the rise of flaming green 25% di$do from this morning? 😁

Today [spam link removed] btc have 3946 as previous support become resistance (classic support and resistance ). This level also as Fibonacci 618 resistance.
If this level able to hold bullish , it will confirm bearish with a new lower target at 3807 (fibonacci 1.618)

This pattern still unconfirmed as bullish 3 drives, and it will complete as bullish 3 drives once we reach 3807 with target at 3982

*I already close my short at 3860, now i wait for new short around 3946 with target at 3807.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 08:17:57 AM by arebelspy »

erjkism

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1255 on: May 13, 2019, 06:03:54 PM »
bitcoin is back? Is this a good time to get in?

Telecaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1256 on: May 13, 2019, 08:39:18 PM »

No and no.   

Stimpy

• Stubble
« Reply #1257 on: May 14, 2019, 07:33:34 AM »

It's back... to the 8k range.... still down over 50% from it's all time high.... So really, no, it's not.

Per a friend: "It's always a good time to get in, it's going to 200k a coin!!!!!!!@#$@#!$@@!@"   Me personally, I enjoy a good gamble here and there, BUT I want a chance to actually win.  How do you value bitcoin?  Answer: You can't.   So if you want to take a gamble with a real chance it's going to go to zero, sure get in.  Me, I think I'll stick to day trading stocks, it's safer.....   /Sarcasm

maizeman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1258 on: May 14, 2019, 08:04:12 AM »
The best explanation I've heard is that this is what the unraveling of "tether" finally looks like.

Tether is cyptocurrency which is supposedly maintaining a dollar peg at a fixed an exchange rate of 1:1 with the dollar. Many exchanges like this because it means they don't have any dollar deposits. But the company that tries to maintain that dollar peg has been playing games with their reserves, and recently has $850M in assets frozen.

So one, people who got burned by the crash back in 2017 moved out of normal cryptocurrencies generally ended up holding Tether instead of actual US currency. Those people are now worried about Tether and if they cannot easier move back to US currency may be moving it back into traditional cryptocurrencies like bitcoin which at least aren't likely to completely dry up and blow away if a single company goes bankrupt.

And two, many exchanges don't have a true USD option, just Tether. So their bitcoin prices are really based on BTC:Tether and Tether:USD. Since Tether:USD is assumed to be 1:1 that shouldn't matter. But if people are treated a Tether as being worth significantly less than a dollar, then the BTC:USD exchange rate is actually lower than you would estimate from the two step BTC:Tether and assumed 1:1 of Tether:USD.  (TL;DR: If Tether is worth less than a dollar, then some of the reported bitcoin prices in us dollars are incorrectly high.)

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #1259 on: May 14, 2019, 03:25:42 PM »
I mined 0.2 Ether out of curiosity. Let's see were the hype train number three goes. Remind to convert that into an extra ETF contribution once Ether hits 500€ /560$ again so I get the satisfaction of hitting a round number of 100€ for increasing my ETF contributions ahead of schedule.

OneCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #1260 on: May 15, 2019, 10:45:03 PM »
I mined 0.2 Ether out of curiosity. Let's see were the hype train number three goes. Remind to convert that into an extra ETF contribution once Ether hits 500€ /560$ again so I get the satisfaction of hitting a round number of 100€ for increasing my ETF contributions ahead of schedule.

Just set an alarm for Tuesday.

PDXTabs

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1261 on: May 15, 2019, 11:29:30 PM »

It's back... to the 8k range.... still down over 50% from it's all time high.... So really, no, it's not.

That depends when you bought. My house got two of them for less than $500 each. Of course, we used half of it to actually buy stuff online.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1262 on: May 16, 2019, 07:40:15 AM »
Yeah, by that logic Bre-X was a stunning investment too.  As long as you managed to use your crystal ball to buy at exactly the right time and sell at exactly the right time.  Easy peasy.

PDXTabs

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1263 on: May 16, 2019, 08:49:19 AM »
Yeah, by that logic Bre-X was a stunning investment too.  As long as you managed to use your crystal ball to buy at exactly the right time and sell at exactly the right time.  Easy peasy.

That sort of volatility is also a pretty bad feature in a currency.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1264 on: May 16, 2019, 10:06:09 AM »
I thought we established long ago that Bitcoin (and all the clones) are terrible for use as a currency.

PDXTabs

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1265 on: May 16, 2019, 10:36:12 AM »
I thought we established long ago that Bitcoin (and all the clones) are terrible for use as a currency.

How long have they been around? I just got done reading David Graeber's Debt and I have been convinced that new financial instruments often have wildly fluctuating values. Just because cryptocurrency is a shit currency today doesn't mean that will hold true in 100 years.

I still prefer ETH and BTC to Venezuela Bolívars, which is to say that everything is relative.

Of course, that still doesn't make them a good investment.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1266 on: May 16, 2019, 10:49:57 AM »
Fair enough.  I guess we'll see what another decade of bitcoin brings.

Telecaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1267 on: May 16, 2019, 10:54:04 AM »

How long have they been around? I just got done reading David Graeber's Debt and I have been convinced that new financial instruments often have wildly fluctuating values. Just because cryptocurrency is a shit currency today doesn't mean that will hold true in 100 years.

I still prefer ETH and BTC to Venezuela Bolívars, which is to say that everything is relative.

I do too, but that's a pretty low bar.   At its peak BTC went from $20,000 down to about $4,000.   That's some impressive hyperinflation so matter how you slice it. 

There have been some efforts to create stable coins pegged to a fiat currency, which would solve a lot of problems, except for the problem that you are pegged to a fiat currency.  And of course, the peg can break.     

runbikerun

• Bristles
« Reply #1268 on: May 17, 2019, 02:53:32 AM »

Of course, that still doesn't make them a good investment.

In fairness, comparing the best possible cryptocoins to the single worst case of hyperinflation in recorded history doesn't exactly give an accurate picture. The Turkish lira had a horrific 2018, to the extent that the IMF almost came in and the economy came quite close to melting down, and it still had a better year than Bitcoin. If you live in a country with a reasonably diversified economy and a competent system of government, or if you have access to the currency of such a country, you're better off with that than with any cryptocoin.

PDXTabs

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1269 on: May 17, 2019, 10:23:14 AM »
In fairness, comparing the best possible cryptocoins...

They're the ones I own. Well, that and a tiny bit of XMR. All of my ETH and XMR was mined, and all of my BTC was purchased to use in commerce.