Author Topic: Of course Jim Cramer supports Trump's tariffs - FML  (Read 7027 times)

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
Of course Jim Cramer supports Trump's tariffs - FML
« on: July 06, 2018, 12:42:41 PM »
It makes sense when you think about it. Cramer and Trump appeal to the same audience. Cramer: dudes who think a boisterous amd impulsive TV personality will teach them to day trade to prosperity. Trump: dudes who think a boisterous and impulsive TV personality will MAGA and make them prosperous.

It all fits into a generational theme whereby large percentages of people reject the concept of knowledge, expertise, real-world competence, or wisdom itself.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/cramer-says-trump-is-not-wrong-on-the-china-trade-war/ar-AAzFhft?li=BBnbfcN

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Of course Jim Cramer supports Trump's tariffs - FML
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 12:58:22 PM »
Cramer has always been a contrarian. I remember back when Greenspan was still in charge of the Fed, Cramer criticized him, which is something that NO ONE DID at the time. He got flak for it, but in retrospect, Cramer was right.

I see the same thing here, how everyone (incl. me!) says that we should avoid a trade war. So I enjoy his perspective.

You are welcome to your opinion of Cramer, but keep in mind that he graduated from Harvard Law, worked for Goldman Sachs and ran his own hedge fund, so he knows about knowledge, expertise, competence and wisdom.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 01:44:28 PM »
Cramer has always been a contrarian. I remember back when Greenspan was still in charge of the Fed, Cramer criticized him, which is something that NO ONE DID at the time. He got flak for it, but in retrospect, Cramer was right.

He was also pimping dotcom stocks right before the dotcom crash. Oops. Then he recommended holding on to Bear Sterns right before it sank like a stone into the bankruptcy ocean.

He's a contrarian because it makes him noticeable. Imagine if he was just repeating what 90%+ of economists are stating -- trade wars don't help anyone. Would that gain as much audience and sell as many ads?

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 01:52:48 PM »
Why FML in THE subject line?

RangerOne

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 02:41:08 PM »
Hm, well obviously China, the country now clearly ran by a dictator cannot be trusted and could not be trusted even before Xi. Then again Trump is the most famous lying, ignorant sack of shit, wannabe disctator in America.

So the its pointless listening to either side of that debate because they are all just covering their own asses and trying to look good for their base while grabbing more money or power...

A trade war seems like one of those things that no one knows where it will stop and who it will hurt. I don't particularly care if it leads to recession as long as that recession doesn't lead to mass job loss.

I would hope if things went south for the US, that Trump gets shit on and ends as a one term president. But I seriously doubt that will be the outcome. China is too easy and deserving a target to deflect blame on. And its always possible we have a neutral outcome over which he can declare victory.

Either way, time will tell. I suspect if we truly backed China into an economic corner they would become even more militarily provocative and probably stir up some distraction proxy wars like with NK. So I am not sure its a smart move to attempt to do that.

I am not a fan of this anarchist throw shit against the wall and see if what happens approach to reforming trade. So in that light I hope the constituents that voted for this course of action get burned financially.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 07:35:57 PM »
Few people support tariffs. The problem is other counties put tariffs on our products when they go into their countries.
We should have fought that when it happened, but we didn't.
 The problem just got bigger and bigger, we let them just continue take advantage of us.
 It's time we started to fight, our economy is doing great, the world economy is not doing as well.
This is the perfect time to flex our will and push this issue. If it was easy, it would have been done
long ago, other administrations knew it was a problem. We now have someone that is going to
put up a fight.
 Look at the brightside, if the world doesn't negotate in good faith and our economy goes down hill,
it will be easier for you to get a democratic president.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 09:25:51 PM »
Few people support tariffs. The problem is other counties put tariffs on our products when they go into their countries.
 The problem just got bigger and bigger, we let them just continue take advantage of us.
 It's time we started to fight, our economy is doing great, the world economy is not doing as well.
This is the perfect time to flex our will and push this issue. If it was easy, it would have been done
long ago, other administrations knew it was a problem. We now have someone that is going to
put up a fight.
 Look at the brightside, if the world doesn't negotate in good faith and our economy goes down hill,

^ This is pretty accurate.  The US gets a raw deal on a lot of trade and short term pain is required for long term results.

The scary part is this has never been done so publically, every administration uses tariffs, it's never been news like this before.

privatefarmer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 12:36:10 AM »
put up a fight.

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding of trade here. People need to remember that it is a GOOD thing we can import all our crap from China for next to nothing. Yes, they are getting our dollars, but we are getting their STUFF. You want to pay more for that nike shirt? didn't think so. people think that bc we are CONSUMERS as a country and we buy shit more than we sell shit, that somehow that is bad. its bc we have the money people, do you want to be working in a nike sweat shop selling shit to china???

any time a country adds taxes onto import (tariffs) it hurts the consumer (duh). I don't really care all that much if china is taxing imports bc they're just hurting the Chinese consumers. yes, it leads to less exports to china, but that doesn't mean we should then tax their shit and hurt US consumers...

honestly, I don't understand why people can't grasp that we are not a big manufacturing country. our min wage is like $15/hr or something and we give out healthcare to employees, how the hell can we sell shit for cheap compared to the third world?!?!? we are a wealthy country, we have engineers and doctors etc who design shit and that's how we create GDP. we don't need to be going back to 1940 and have everyone working in a plant again...

this is so elementary I really don't know why the entire republican party is not in an uproar. they're scared I guess of the big bad Donald... I used to be a republican, until he became their God. Now I think I am more left than Bernie sanders...

ILikeDividends

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 02:48:07 AM »
I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding of trade here.

At least we two can agree on that one statement.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 03:01:19 AM by ILikeDividends »

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 06:28:06 AM »
@privatefarmer I'll preface this with I am afraid our current president is not up to this tasks.

We do have a few exporting sectors with reasonable trade disputes, agriculture (which to make this case, we would need to drop our ridiculous sugar tariffs/quotas), car manufacturing, and technology/IP theft are being abused.  These have always been issues, its just never been this public and escalated to this level.

The US can *win* on most of these, when you're the largest economy in the world you have more levers.  The challenge is just like a real war, there's a cost to it.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 07:43:04 PM »
I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding of trade here.

At least we two can agree on that one statement.

An economics education on the benefit of trade can fit on one page. Unfortunately, even that is beyond our attention span these days. Forward this to those who don't get it.

http://www.netmba.com/econ/micro/comparative-advantage/

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 02:36:21 AM »
any time a country adds taxes onto import (tariffs) it hurts the consumer (duh). I don't really care all that much if china is taxing imports bc they're just hurting the Chinese consumers. yes, it leads to less exports to china, but that doesn't mean we should then tax their shit and hurt US consumers...

So true. The trade war between the US and China now boils down to a conversation that looks like this; 'oh, yeh? Well, I'm gonna tax my people to punish you!' 'that ain't nothin! I'm gonna tax mine more and then you'll feel real pain!' 'you can't raise taxes on your people higher than I can!' "Wanna bet?! Watch this!'

Consumers in both countries will pay more and their respective governments will have more money to show for it.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 07:02:09 AM »
our min wage is like $15/hr or something and we give out healthcare to employees

It's $7.25

which is a lot more than a sweatshop wage, but you estimated nearly double the actual minimum wage.  And that healthcare thing....I think a lot of people would tell you that definitely doesn't happen.

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 08:15:18 AM »
our min wage is like $15/hr or something and we give out healthcare to employees

It's $7.25

which is a lot more than a sweatshop wage, but you estimated nearly double the actual minimum wage.  And that healthcare thing....I think a lot of people would tell you that definitely doesn't happen.

Looks like about half of US Americans are covered by employer provided health insurance.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 08:24:42 AM »

It's $7.25

Looks like about half of US Americans are covered by employer provided health insurance.

So half aren't.  And generally, it would be the ones who are making minimum wage who aren't.

What is China's healthcare situation? My understanding is they have cheap public healthcare facilities (which may not be great, but are available) and expensive private ones.  So to say the US can't compete in manufacturing because we provide healthcare and they don't- doesn't seem accurate.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 09:47:40 AM »
Note: Cramer also clerked for noted Trump defender Alan Dershowitz.

I'm a professional economist who is dismayed by these tariffs as much as the next guy, but it is interesting to see all these left-leaning people suddenly decided they like free trade because Trump opposes it.

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2018, 10:06:09 AM »

Cramer practiced law? Or even worked in a law office? Source?

TrudgingAlong

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2018, 10:51:22 AM »
[quote/

I'm a professional economist who is dismayed by these tariffs as much as the next guy, but it is interesting to see all these left-leaning people suddenly decided they like free trade because Trump opposes it

[/quote]

On the other side, it’s  very bizarre to see Republicans suddenly against it because of Trump.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 03:45:03 PM by TrudgingAlong »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 12:22:45 PM »
I had recalled reading it in one of Cramer's books a few years ago.

However, it appears that Dershowitz himself has acknowledged it in print, mainly in order to discredit JC: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/alan-dershowitz/should-you-trust-jim-cram_b_901640.html.

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 12:58:14 PM »
I had recalled reading it in one of Cramer's books a few years ago.

However, it appears that Dershowitz himself has acknowledged it in print, mainly in order to discredit JC: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/alan-dershowitz/should-you-trust-jim-cram_b_901640.html.

Thanks for the link.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2018, 03:04:32 PM »

I'm a professional economist who is dismayed by these tariffs as much as the next guy, but it is interesting to see all these left-leaning people suddenly decided they like free trade because Trump opposes it.

We might be seeing a partisan polarity flip. In the past, when unions were a political force, Democrats branded themselves as the party of the blue collar, no-college-degree working class and they would occasionally sell narratives about unfair foreign competition and protectionist tariffs. Now Republicans have seized this demographic. Today it seems like the Democrats are the party of people who do intellectual work, and the Republicans are the party of people who do physical work. The old white collar / blue collar distinction is less visible because clothing and pay grades transcend the real divide, which is physical vs. intellectual work. The products of physical work, such as raw materials, manufactured products, or agricultural products, may be more in competition with foreign firms than the products of intellectual work, such as education, consulting, management, analysis, or cultural products. The resentments between these two new classes are real.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 06:50:21 AM »

We might be seeing a partisan polarity flip. In the past, when unions were a political force, Democrats branded themselves as the party of the blue collar, no-college-degree working class and they would occasionally sell narratives about unfair foreign competition and protectionist tariffs. Now Republicans have seized this demographic. Today it seems like the Democrats are the party of people who do intellectual work, and the Republicans are the party of people who do physical work. The old white collar / blue collar distinction is less visible because clothing and pay grades transcend the real divide, which is physical vs. intellectual work. The products of physical work, such as raw materials, manufactured products, or agricultural products, may be more in competition with foreign firms than the products of intellectual work, such as education, consulting, management, analysis, or cultural products. The resentments between these two new classes are real.

What's truly interesting is the way Republicans do this while systematically dismantling the power and influence of unions. Are social/cultural issues enough to keep white working class voters in the GOP fold when judges are handing down decisions like Janis?

toganet

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 07:05:11 AM »

What's truly interesting is the way Republicans do this while systematically dismantling the power and influence of unions. Are social/cultural issues enough to keep white working class voters in the GOP fold when judges are handing down decisions like Janis?

The difference is in the outcome they are pursuing.  Republicans campaign on providing "jobs," but don't promise they will be good ones or carry many benefits.  They want to reduce "government dependence" by increasing corporate dependence.  Unions can't be involved because they would interfere with the corporations' ability to extract the benefits of labor for the lowest cost.  Granted, there are some free market arguments to made supporting this, but the sound awfully jungle-like.

Meanwhile, resentment between knowledge workers and physical workers is growing as the formerly-muscle-powered jobs require more and more skill and involve more and more automation.  Manufacturing, farming, etc., are all being automated aggressively, meaning fewer workers are needed, and they need to "know computers" to get the job.  So the non-knowledge workers are left fighting over service jobs that don't carry the same cultural dignity, don't pay as well, and are also threatened by automation.  Kinda can't blame them for being pissed, but their own party replies, "personal responsibility."

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 01:06:57 PM »

The difference is in the outcome they are pursuing.  Republicans campaign on providing "jobs," but don't promise they will be good ones or carry many benefits.  They want to reduce "government dependence" by increasing corporate dependence.  Unions can't be involved because they would interfere with the corporations' ability to extract the benefits of labor for the lowest cost.  Granted, there are some free market arguments to made supporting this, but the sound awfully jungle-like.

Meanwhile, resentment between knowledge workers and physical workers is growing as the formerly-muscle-powered jobs require more and more skill and involve more and more automation.  Manufacturing, farming, etc., are all being automated aggressively, meaning fewer workers are needed, and they need to "know computers" to get the job.  So the non-knowledge workers are left fighting over service jobs that don't carry the same cultural dignity, don't pay as well, and are also threatened by automation.  Kinda can't blame them for being pissed, but their own party replies, "personal responsibility."

Ah yes, and let's not forget that it is the knowledge worker class eliminating the jobs of the physical worker class. Knowledge workers design robots that replace factory jobs, machines that replace farm jobs, energy efficiency solutions that eliminate fossil fuel jobs, electronic supply chain management that eliminates warehouse and transportation jobs, etc.

For example, the introduction of PEX tubing and stainless steel flex line has greatly reduced the number of hours homebuilders need to pay plumbers. Engineers, materials scientists, and marketing people did that, and plumbers now have less work.

Plus, because all these advances in economic efficiency are being made by knowledge workers, and because physical workers have little leverage to improve economic productivity, investment money flows toward knowledge workers and away from physical workers.

I fear the political response is akin to the original theory behind the disasterous Smoot-Hawley Tariff Bill of 1930. Back then, there was concern that unemployment and deflation were rising due to the rapid electrification of industry creating overcapacity. It was thought that if tariffs could reduce foreign competition, then more domestic jobs would be supported by domestic demand (see 1930 Republican Party platform). Result: 2/3rd drop in trans-Atlantic trade, deflation, mass unemployment.

Today the concern is wage stagnation more than unemployment, but the Republican party's instincts are returning to their roots from the 1920s-30s.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 01:46:29 PM »
Ok, just an example:

Harley Davidson

The execs ride into DC and talk with Trump who praises them, their motorcycle, their company.

Tariffs ensue.  Both China and Europe.

Result:  Cost to build parts for Harley in the US becomes much more expensive.
Selling in Europe becomes much more expensive.

Harley moves some manufacturing offshore so they can a) buy the same stuff they were buying before at the price they bought it before and b) they can now sell into Europe because these bikes won't be built in the US.

Trump takes a hissy fit.  How stupid can he be to not have seen this?

My employer is urging customers to do the same thing.  We build some parts in China and will be subject to tariff.  I saw an email that was sent to customers letting them know that if they received our parts outside of the US, they won't be subject to the tariff.  Most of our customers have the option to build inside the US (serving US customers) or outside the US (serving non-US customers).

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2018, 11:15:56 PM »
Ah yes, and let's not forget that it is the knowledge worker class eliminating the jobs of the physical worker class. Knowledge workers design robots that replace factory jobs, machines that replace farm jobs, energy efficiency solutions that eliminate fossil fuel jobs, electronic supply chain management that eliminates warehouse and transportation jobs, etc.

With the current AI and machine learning trend, the work of many knowledge workers are also targeted.  I don't know if you count airplane pilots as white or blue collar but just like truck drivers, they will be partly replaced by machines.  Doctors identifying deceases from lab samples or X-ray pictures are in many cases perfect for a machine. Having a junior lawyer going through thousands of pages of contract in e.g. an M&A-deal - AIs are already being used.

All these examples are however services which are not hit by traditioanl tariffs on goods.

Mighty-Dollar

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2018, 02:15:08 AM »
Trump: dudes who think a boisterous and impulsive TV personality will MAGA and make them prosperous.
Uhhhh I voted for Trump because of the way he spoke out against illegal immigration, the way he called out the whole global warming scam, the way he bull dosed even Republican douche bags like Jeb Bush, the way he spoke out against political correctness and the way he was not part of the swamp establishment. Has nothing to do with him being a TV personality. BTW Trump IS making America great again. Unemployment at record lows, lowered taxes, economy booming, peace with North Korea, ISIS decimated, trying to repair trade deals, trying to renegotiate other disasters, etc.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2018, 07:29:57 AM »
Tell me more about North Korea.

toganet

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2018, 08:29:09 AM »
Trump: dudes who think a boisterous and impulsive TV personality will MAGA and make them prosperous.
Uhhhh I voted for Trump because of the way he spoke out against illegal immigration, the way he called out the whole global warming scam, the way he bull dosed even Republican douche bags like Jeb Bush, the way he spoke out against political correctness and the way he was not part of the swamp establishment. Has nothing to do with him being a TV personality. BTW Trump IS making America great again. Unemployment at record lows, lowered taxes, economy booming, peace with North Korea, ISIS decimated, trying to repair trade deals, trying to renegotiate other disasters, etc.

So, as a perfect example of Poe's Law I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2018, 08:36:31 AM »
(disclosure: I am a Trump-skeptic, but registered GOP and voted in that primary)

The statements about the economy are not wrong. It IS really good right now.

However, each of the other things in that list sounds like a triumph, yet when you do even the most basic study, you realize that it's smoke and illusion.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2018, 08:41:42 AM »
The statements about the economy are not wrong. It IS really good right now.

It is...Thank you Obama.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2018, 07:45:07 AM »
Indeed much of the economic strength that we see right now is a continuation of those trends that were already in place from 2013-2017.

However, I believe that, were Romney to have been elected in 2012, the GOP Congress would have given him something like the TCJA that was passed last December, and we would have had faster economic growth at a more useful point of the business cycle, and we'd be ahead of where we are today.

Mighty-Dollar

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2018, 08:33:05 PM »
It makes sense when you think about it. Cramer and Trump appeal to the same audience. Cramer: dudes who think a boisterous amd impulsive TV personality will teach them to day trade to prosperity. Trump: dudes who think a boisterous and impulsive TV personality will MAGA and make them prosperous.

It all fits into a generational theme whereby large percentages of people reject the concept of knowledge, expertise, real-world competence, or wisdom itself[/url]
The mainstream media does not represent "knowledge, expertise, real-world competence, or wisdom". The MSM represents anti-Trump propaganda at all cost.
What Trump is doing is standing up to China, who have been stealing our intellectual property for years. Past administrations have caved into political correctness for fear of "rocking the boat". BTW it takes a boisterous president to stand up against the liberals who are such a cancer on America. Trump is the perfect president. Hillary would have done NOTHING.
And Trump's strategy is not to show his cards. That was his criticism of Barrack Hussein Obama with regard to Iraq.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2018, 01:13:59 PM »

It all fits into a generational theme whereby large percentages of people reject the concept of knowledge, expertise, real-world competence, or wisdom itself[/url]
The mainstream media does not represent "knowledge, expertise, real-world competence, or wisdom". The MSM represents anti-Trump propaganda at all cost.
What Trump is doing is standing up to China, who have been stealing our intellectual property for years. Past administrations have caved into political correctness for fear of "rocking the boat". BTW it takes a boisterous president to stand up against the liberals who are such a cancer on America. Trump is the perfect president. Hillary would have done NOTHING.
And Trump's strategy is not to show his cards. That was his criticism of Barrack Hussein Obama with regard to Iraq.

You're in the midst of a nice hallucination there. Tell me more about these cards that Obama mistakenly showed to Iraq? Are you talking about the status of forces agreement that expired in 2011 forcing him to withdraw troops?

capitalninja

• Stubble
  • Know what the other guy is making on the deal...
    • Entrepreneur, Investor, Life Advice
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2018, 06:47:02 PM »
I still see the tariffs as a negotiating tool. Capitalism won't allow the nations to bloody each other's noses economically long term. The tariffs will be old news in less than a 6 months. It's in the in the headlines because the news media doesn't have anything else to write about.

Hopefully the countries come to the table and strike a deal that puts the whole thing to rest.

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2018, 12:25:55 AM »
I still see the tariffs as a negotiating tool. Capitalism won't allow the nations to bloody each other's noses economically long term. The tariffs will be old news in less than a 6 months. It's in the in the headlines because the news media doesn't have anything else to write about.

Hopefully the countries come to the table and strike a deal that puts the whole thing to rest.

Somehow capitalism allowed nations to bloody each other's noses literally from 1914-1918.

The level of world trade that existed in 1914 wasn't eclipsed until the mid-1980's. Just because something seems improbable doesn't make it impossible.

The current issue is actually quite parallel with 1914 Europe; a rising power challenging an incumbent power. Here is a great article I can highly recommend:

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/09/united-states-china-war-thucydides-trap/406756/

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2018, 06:49:10 AM »

It's in the news because the tariffs and threats of tariffs are directly and unquestionably damaging the economy, which makes them newsworthy. Even if you're right about eventually things being okay because they're just a negotiating tool.

You can see the effect for yourself, pick any random day that Trump threatens more tariffs and go look at the stock market / DJIA performance. There is a reason the stock market has been stalled out since literally the same morning that Trump started the tariff talk. Not to mention that congress just passed a $12 Billion farm welfare bill to help farmers cope with the fallout of Trump's trade wars. Are bailouts only bad when a Democratic president does them to help the economy recover from a drastic downturn, and Republicans bailing people out of feeling the effects of Republican policies is perfectly okay?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2018, 07:49:23 AM »
I love the fact that the Republican party is now the party of subsidies and government handouts.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2018, 08:36:20 AM »
The "negotiating tool" of tariffs is already hurting profits and forecasts at Fortune 100 companies.

Meanwhile, as guitarstv wrote, the US is giving $12B to soybean farmers because the farmers can't sell their soybeans in China because of Trump's tariffs.

So the strategy is: hinder trade and make business owners dependent on the dole? That's brilliant.

toganet

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2018, 02:36:04 PM »
The "negotiating tool" of tariffs is already hurting profits and forecasts at Fortune 100 companies.

Meanwhile, as guitarstv wrote, the US is giving $12B to soybean farmers because the farmers can't sell their soybeans in China because of Trump's tariffs.

So the strategy is: hinder trade and make business owners dependent on the dole? That's brilliant.

Well, when the Kremlin is writing policy, that's what you get ;)

capitalninja

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2018, 02:53:04 PM »
It's hurting the bottom lines of companies on both sides; American and foreign companies.  They'll eventually begin to put pressure on their respective governments to strike a deal.

There's too much money to be made to play the "eye for an eye" tariff game long term. It will work out sooner than later.

Capitalism will demand it.

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2018, 05:51:04 PM »
It's hurting the bottom lines of companies on both sides; American and foreign companies.  They'll eventually begin to put pressure on their respective governments to strike a deal.

There's too much money to be made to play the "eye for an eye" tariff game long term. It will work out sooner than later.

Capitalism will demand it.

I partially agree.  I fully expect negotiations between the U.S. and our traditional allies(i.e. Europe) that will resolve issues, but I don't necessarily expect the same with China.  (And in fairness, as someone who has spent extensive time on expat assignments in China, it is 100% accurate to state that Chinese IP theft is a very real problem for U.S. businesses that manufacture there - even if our current administration has no idea how concept of how to interact with Chinese culture).

Particularly with Europe, most of the trade talk is grandstanding, playing to the "base" - the tariffs would probably do at least as much harm as good to both parties.  Thus, there's good reason to believe much of this is more smoke than fire and will be largely resolved within a reasonable time frame.  China, not so much. Trump's approach to negotiating with China, North Korea, etc. makes it painfully obvious(at least to those of us that have lived/done business there) that he has no grasp of Chinese/Japanese/Korean cultures, and how business relationships are conducted there.  There are a certain set of cultural norms you adhere to if you want to maintain a successful business relationship in China, Korea, etc, and there's a very real chance that we end up at an impasse because of the cultural ignorance of the current U.S. administration.  I could easily see the egos involved preventing an effective resolution when it comes to U.S.-China trade over the next few years.

With all that said, if you look at the markets, U.S. stocks have been fairly ambivalent towards all the talk of trade wars.  They don't love it(and some companies hate it), but one the whole, tariff talks have resulted in bounces rather than plunges and U.S. markets(tech excluded) have mostly gone sideways in recent months.  International stocks, not so much: for the 2 1/2 years ending some time in May/June of 2018, major international indices tracked pretty well with the S&P 500.  Since about late May(and particularly since mid-June, when China launched their retaliatory tariffs), international stocks have lost nearly 10% vs. the S&P.

(Full disclosure - I have more international equity exposure than the average investor, and it's definitely hurt my portfolio in recent months - so I'm not at all happy about any of this.)

capitalninja

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2018, 06:25:22 PM »
I'm fairly heavily weight in the international markets too. I don't really pay attention to where the portfolio is from one day to the next. I monitor the reports from the individual stock companies fairly closely but not the index funds.

Assuming you're still accumulating, a soft international market sounds like a sale to me. Over the next couple of years the tariffs won't matter. The 2015/2016 oil crisis, Brexit, Bruce Jenner sex change. All these events were supposed to be the end of the world as we know it. Yet here we are.

In the short term the market is a voting machine. In the long run, a weighing machine. 

I have every reason to believe the productivity of people living outside the US will increase over time. The markets will eventually reflect that.

theolympians

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2018, 06:40:40 PM »

+1

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2018, 07:51:01 AM »
Can you guys clarify what "trying to renegotiate other disasters" means?

I haven't seen any evidence that the Hurricane in Puerto Rico was handled well by Trump.