Author Topic: NYSE Circuit breaker tripped less than a minute after opening.  (Read 1793 times)

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
I think the circuit breakers tripped last week twice, both within the first 15 minutes of opening. This time it was within the first minute. We need positive government action to get ahead of the corona virus to staunch the bleeding. Unfortunately, the people in charge of government now seem to have difficulty in getting ahead of this crisis.

The bear market just began last week. For traders, there is no need to make any quick decisions. Keep your powder dry. Prices will be even better next week.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
Re: NYSE Circuit breaker tripped less than a minute after opening.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 07:59:22 AM »
I'm convinced the Fed is exacerbating the problem. Cutting interest rates, injecting tons of cash, and going back to the QE well just makes everyone think they're panicking.

Seems like every Fed action over the last week has led to a massive sell off.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 08:04:41 AM »
what a time to be alive

mrmoonymartian

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 08:09:37 AM »
I think the circuit breakers tripped last week twice, both within the first 15 minutes of opening. This time it was within the first minute. We need positive government action to get ahead of the corona virus to staunch the bleeding. Unfortunately, the people in charge of government now seem to have difficulty in getting ahead of this crisis.

Why? I'm happy to accumulate cheap stocks for a few years. What's the rush?

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 09:57:01 AM »
Puts did not go up as much as I anticipated. Going to sell them while still in the green.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 03:18:14 PM »
what a time to be alive

Indeed.  We live in interesting times.  And today proved to be interesting. VIX hit 83.56.     

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 03:23:59 PM »
Warren Buffet is going to steal a company or two. With 128 Billion in cash, I can guarantee you he's eyeballing something.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 03:26:07 PM »
Warren Buffet is going to steal a company or two. With 128 Billion in cash, I can guarantee you he's eyeballing something.

Probably eyeballing several somethings.  He's patient, though.  The fire sales haven't started yet. 

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 03:26:54 PM »
Indeed.  We live in interesting times.  And today proved to be interesting. VIX hit 83.56.   

I think that is literally 'off the charts'. Well, until they expand the chart, that is.

And the Fed spooked the market. It stayed spooked until Trump spoke. He ended the press conference and the market dropped another 1000 points. I guess they didn't like the press conference.

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 03:27:56 PM »

Probably eyeballing several somethings.  He's patient, though.  The fire sales haven't started yet.

My feeling exactly.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 03:41:00 PM »

I think that is literally 'off the charts'. Well, until they expand the chart, that is.

And the Fed spooked the market. It stayed spooked until Trump spoke. He ended the press conference and the market dropped another 1000 points. I guess they didn't like the press conference.

I don't think it's the highest the VIX has been.  Lemme check. Nope.  Looks like it hit 89.53 as the high on 10-24-08.  So there's still some room there. 

bthewalls

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 04:59:39 PM »
This decline could go on for 2 months...it’s great

MaaS

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 05:10:00 PM »

Boeing? I'm unclear about the regulatory implications with Precision Castparts and his airline holdings, but it feels like a prototypical Buffet move.

If this thing keeps falling it could be an all-time great heist for a company with deep pockets and endless patience like Berkshire.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!