Author Topic: NT Russell 3000 index  (Read 2092 times)

Case

• Pencil Stache
NT Russell 3000 index
« on: October 30, 2015, 08:11:30 AM »
Hi,
My employer's 401k has a number of index fund options, most of which are not very good.  The best fund I could find in terms of having a low expense ratio and acting as an index to most of the US stock market is the NT Russel 3000 index.  From what I can tell, it appears to be fairly similar to VTSAX, but I can't find the ticker for the exact fund.

My employer has a bizarre situation where they recently switched to Vanguard and so I no longer HAVE to used the NT Russell fund.  However, the immediate plan doesn't have Vanguard funds available in it, and if I want to get Vanguard funds then I have to open a Vanguard brokerage option or something like that, and then on a regular basis transfer my funds from the old place to the new.  I haven't figured out all of the details yet, and it kind of seems like a hassle.  Thus, I'm checking to see if anyone has any opinions on a Russel 3000 index vs VTSAX, as well as if they understand this Vanguard brokerage option thing.

Thanks in advance!

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
Re: NT Russell 3000 index
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 08:23:14 AM »
For many years I had my 403(b) with University in lifecycle 2040 funds (both in TIAA and Fidelity), when after reading MMM YESTERDAY I suddenly realized how badly those were underperforming compared to market! (banging head on wall).
Went on researching to find out that I could use Russell 1000 and 3000 - based indices, and after 10 more minutes browsing "discovered" that Fidelity offers FXSIX (Spartan 500 Index), and TIAA offers Vanguard 500 Index (VFIAX) and Vanguard Extended (VEXAX).

The latter I discovered only after picking Russell-based funds and clicking - "Change Investments" to see (to my surprise) Vanguard options.

Above didn't answer your question, but it's a hint to others that sometimes not all funds/indices in 403(b) are listed in options until you start changing the current one. I don't know much yet about 401(k), but possibly the situation can be similar.
Hope this helps someone here at MMM

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 08:30:27 AM by FerrumB5 »