Author Topic: Non Traditional Investing Success?  (Read 3006 times)

Fishfindr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Non Traditional Investing Success?
« on: February 07, 2017, 12:43:51 PM »
Anyone care to comment on non-traditional investments that have payed off through the years? I tend to swim with the school and primarily invest/trade in the stock market. Right or wrong, I just don't always feel in control when I place my hard earned cash into stocks. I realize stock/fund investing has proven itself, but I'm ready to explore a more active/participatory role in making our money work for us. Anything out there that people are doing besides stocks, CD's, real estate or P2P lending? I'm thinking there must be some repeatable methods to generate income per month outside of the mainstream methods. Just to throw a fictitious on out there for example, "I buy 1968-1970 Camaro's in the Southeast and sell them in California for 30% returns". Just thought it would be interesting to hear what others are doing.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Non Traditional Investing Success?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 12:45:28 PM »
Have you seen the thread on selling tradelines?

Fishfindr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 12:50:46 PM »
Have you seen the thread on selling tradelines?

No, I've never heard of tradelines. I'll need to educate myself on that one.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 03:06:05 PM »
Education to increase one's earning potential, whether in a general degree or a new trade, is a pretty good bet.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 03:11:00 PM »
Bitcoin has done shockingly well for me. Precious metals not so much. (Both were small experiments.) Keeping the bitcoin miner running let me pretend I have much better computer skill than I really do :)

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 10:03:15 PM »
Essentially there are only 4 things you can do with money:
1) spend it
2) loan it out
3) buy equity with it
4) start a business you control

I've heard of people doing quirky things like cornering the market on the small supply of vintage motorcycle parts, and then reselling them at exorbitant prices. You can do the same thing with art, antiques, etc. But this is a business, of course, and there are probably easier things to do like car washes and laundromats.

A possible fifth category would be gambling it. E.g. you could write cash-covered out-of-the-money put options and collect the premiums until the odds caught up with you. Even then, the outcome is being forced to buy a bunch of stocks for cheaper than they were when you wrote the contracts.

Perhaps rather than buying yourself a job or gambling, you are looking for ways to detach your personal rate of return from the stock market, or the economy in general. Are you trying to avoid volatility? Are you concerned about the macroeconomic outlook? Or do you just need to diversify, so you can wait out the inevitable dips and bear markets? Specific answers to these questions might narrow down a solution.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 11:00:29 PM »
Don't leave out masturbating on internet videochat for money...

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 08:12:38 AM »
Don't leave out masturbating on internet videochat for money...

That sounds more like a side hustle...  :)

SeattleCPA

• Handlebar Stache
    • Evergreen Small Business
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 08:17:47 AM »
I recycle this suggestion all the time -- apologies to people for this -- but if you're still at the research phase, I would read David Swensen's "Pioneering Portfolio Management"... it describes the Yale Endowment fund's approach to active investing.

Caution: I don't think you learn about Swensen's approach and conclude it's easy... but you gain insights.

BTW, I would say that anyone directly investing in real estate or a small business is following a "Swensen like" approach with that portion of their investing.

P.S. I've been kind of fixated on Swensen's ideas and so have blogged several times about how his active management ideas can help even individual investors. If you click the link in my sig and then search on "Swensen" you'll get a list.