Author Topic: No 401k from employer. Other tax-advantaged options?  (Read 1540 times)

greenfox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
No 401k from employer. Other tax-advantaged options?
« on: August 26, 2014, 03:01:04 PM »
I have a job I like that pays reasonably well and that's in my field (which is a pretty specific and not-very-lucrative one, so I feel lucky). For a variety of reasons, there's no retirement program. I have a Roth, which I max out every year. I also have a simple individual taxable account through Fidelity that is invested entirely in FSTVX. Once my Roth is maxed for the year, I contribute 50% of my monthly post-tax income to the Fidelity account (about $1500/month).

Is there a tax-advantaged option I don't know about that I could/should be using, instead of the individual Fidelity account? Or am I just out of luck until my employer starts a 401k program, or until I get a new job?

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: No 401k from employer. Other tax-advantaged options?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 03:12:56 PM »
Does your company offer an HSA health insurance plan?  That's one.  Do they offer health insurance at all?  If not, you could choose one that is HSA-compatible.

There are various insurance vehicles, but not sure they are any better than a taxable account.

usmarine1975

Re: No 401k from employer. Other tax-advantaged options?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 03:18:21 PM »
Talk to your employer about offering a Simple IRA plan they would have to match I believe it's up to 3 % but it would require you to put in 6% to get it.  There are a few variations.  But it's the cheapest way for your company to give you that benefit.  Usually easier for small business's to start with a Simple.