Author Topic: newly married, checking IRA rules  (Read 2748 times)

grr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
newly married, checking IRA rules
« on: February 13, 2015, 06:18:39 AM »
I just married in January, but my wife didn't have any income last year.  (She finished law school.)

My understanding is, that since she had no income, we can't put money into a Roth for her for 2014.  I suppose the spousal IRA won't work either, since we married in 2015.

Am I correct about this?  I just want to make sure.  Are there any other tricks that we can take advantage of, now that we're married?

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
Re: newly married, checking IRA rules
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 09:54:22 AM »
Yes, you're right.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 01:19:40 PM »
I just married in January, but my wife didn't have any income last year.  (She finished law school.)

My understanding is, that since she had no income, we can't put money into a Roth for her for 2014.  I suppose the spousal IRA won't work either, since we married in 2015.

Am I correct about this?  I just want to make sure.  Are there any other tricks that we can take advantage of, now that we're married?

Can you explain the spousal IRA? Getting married this summer, still confused on that point for years with no income for one spouse.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 01:22:14 PM »
Can you explain the spousal IRA? Getting married this summer, still confused on that point for years with no income for one spouse.

If a married couple earns at least $11k between the two of them, they can each make full $5,500 IRA contributions in that year.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 05:20:45 PM »

If a married couple earns at least $11k between the two of them, they can each make full $5,500 IRA contributions in that year.

That's pretty nice for a SAHP.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 09:50:32 PM »
Two sites you may want to bookmark:
http://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/Plan-Participant,-Employee/Retirement-Topics-IRA-Contribution-Limits
http://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/IRA-Deduction-Limits

Then follow the appropriate links within each (i.e., depending on who is/is not covered by a retirement plan at work).