Author Topic: New Mustachian - investment advice  (Read 2410 times)

Newazagod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
New Mustachian - investment advice
« on: February 21, 2017, 01:07:37 PM »
I'm new to the site and I know a rule of thumb is : "Do not try to time the market!" ; and I do agree with that, so this is more of an allocation question.  I am currently in US stock (mostly through VTSAX, ITOT, and VTI) heavily and I do feel a correction is coming (or at least a general slow down) in US equities.

In trying to decide where to plop my $5500 for the year in my IRA, are there any other Vanguard funds that I should be considering to help diversify?  Again, I am heavy (allocation wise) in VTSAX and I'm not hugely interested in bonds as my risk tolerance is fairly high.

I hope this all makes sense.

Any suggestions?

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Re: New Mustachian - investment advice
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 01:35:11 PM »
What does your investment policy statement tell you to do? If you don't have one yet, get on the Bogleheads wiki and read up on it. In short, you need to decide what your goals and target asset allocation are according to what is important to you. I could suggest adding in some international total stock market exposure, but that is what is right for me and may not be right for you.

FinancialWarrior

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 01:45:43 PM »
What is your investment timeframe -- how many years will this grow before you anticipate taking withdrawals?  This will guide your IPS.  If this is long-term (10+ years), your best returns will follow the most aggressive strategy (VTSAX), as long as you're willing to never touch it.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 04:37:24 PM »
When I was setting up my vanguard accounts, I picked one to focus all my input on so I could get it to $10,000 and the minimum fees.  Then I did the next one the same way.  After all the funds I wanted to invest in had $10,000, then I changed my new investments to get me to my desired, long-term asset allocation.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 01:18:18 PM »
Any suggestions?
See Three-fund portfolio - Bogleheads.

This is what I do (although I technically have 4 funds because I have SP500 in my 403b and Total Market in my Roth IRA).

It's effective, cheap, and easy. All good things.