Author Topic: where to invest hsa funds through ameritrade?  (Read 1603 times)

CogentCap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
where to invest hsa funds through ameritrade?
« on: March 31, 2019, 11:55:48 AM »
Hey all,

Basic noob here.  I'm looking for advice on how/where to invest my HSA funds.

Early in 2018, I did a ton of research on hsa's, opened one with Lively, put  (very little) money in the savings account just as an initial deposit, and then focused on other things. Now I want to fund the HSA properly and invest the money. Lively does their investments through Ameritrade.

Here's where my questions start. I seem to remember Ameritrade did something lame late last year (or maybe late 2017) with Vanguard funds?  And now maybe they're expensive or something?  And it's better to buy different funds, like SPDR or something because they are still low-cost?

I can't remember, and I'm hoping someone here can educate me bc I'm still learning and likely to be susceptible to whatever fee-hiding language fund managers use.  I don't want to buy some crap fund with high fees just because I didn't know any better.

Thanks!

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: where to invest hsa funds through ameritrade?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 01:27:10 PM »
Depending on what Lively charges, you might do even better with the free HSA accounts now available at Fidelity.

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 01:39:54 PM »
Depending on what Lively charges, you might do even better with the free HSA accounts now available at Fidelity.

After Fidelity introduced their no fee HSA, Lively followed suit and dropped their fee.

TD has a line of no commission ETFs that would be suitable:

https://research.tdameritrade.com/grid/public/etfs/commissionfree/commissionfree.asp

You can sort by expense ratio and pick an appropriate allocation for yourself.

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 02:23:57 PM »
Here's where my questions start. I seem to remember Ameritrade did something lame late last year (or maybe late 2017) with Vanguard funds?  And now maybe they're expensive or something?  And it's better to buy different funds, like SPDR or something because they are still low-cost?

I can't remember, and I'm hoping someone here can educate me bc I'm still learning and likely to be susceptible to whatever fee-hiding language fund managers use.  I don't want to buy some crap fund with high fees just because I didn't know any better.

They dropped Vanguard etfs from their no fee list. They did replace them with other inexpensive index etfs though. I didn't like it at the time, but I got over it.

CogentCap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 04:19:40 PM »

They dropped Vanguard etfs from their no fee list. They did replace them with other inexpensive index etfs though. I didn't like it at the time, but I got over it.

Can you give any examples of other inexpensive index etfs? 

I am looking to invest 100% of it in stock/equities/etfs (idk if there is a difference?).  Basically, my risk tolerance is high and I'm in it long-term, so.

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 06:10:34 PM »
The ones with SPDR in the descriptions are low cost index funds.

SPTM is total US market, similar to VTSAX.
SPDW is ex-US for your international needs.
SPAB is you want any bonds.

There are several others if you feel like you want to tilt to value or growth or what have you. I do 50/50 US and international in my HSA, so 50% SPTM and 50% SPDW, and use my 403b to give me my desired overall asset allocation (60 US equity, 30 international equity, 10 bonds).

CogentCap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 08:16:05 PM »
The ones with SPDR in the descriptions are low cost index funds.

SPTM is total US market, similar to VTSAX.
SPDW is ex-US for your international needs.
SPAB is you want any bonds.

There are several others if you feel like you want to tilt to value or growth or what have you. I do 50/50 US and international in my HSA, so 50% SPTM and 50% SPDW, and use my 403b to give me my desired overall asset allocation (60 US equity, 30 international equity, 10 bonds).

Thank you, EvenSteven!  I was looking at SPTM after clicking through to the link you gave, but it is good to hear that confirmed.  Also, I hadn't figured out the others yet, so that's very helpful.  Much appreciated!  :)

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 09:51:50 PM »
Can you give any examples of other inexpensive index etfs? 

I am looking to invest 100% of it in stock/equities/etfs (idk if there is a difference?).  Basically, my risk tolerance is high and I'm in it long-term, so.

The only thing I can add to EvenSteven's summary is SPEM, for emerging markets.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!