Author Topic: Never Retire  (Read 5468 times)

heybro

• Stubble
Never Retire
« on: October 30, 2014, 11:09:58 AM »
I never want to retire.

I want to work 3 days a week for life.

I wish we could be more balanced in life.  It seems people work 80 hours a week and then retire and work none.  That sounds stupid. haha.

Oh, and isn't working part time past retirement age the ultimate way to beat inflation!  Plus it seems the minute you stop working, you start dying. hehe

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Never Retire
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 11:12:57 AM »
I don't plan to ever do 'nothing.' I'll always have something to do as long as my body and mind allow me to. The only way to really be happy is to be doing something you enjoy.

heybro

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 11:14:31 AM »
Yes but there are millions of part time jobs I'd enjoy.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 11:19:15 AM »
Do what works for you, bro :)

GGNoob

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 11:29:46 AM »
I feel I would have to retire very wealthy in order to not get bored. So I plan on working well past my FI date.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 12:07:09 PM »
There's some scientific evidence that low levels of stress are beneficial for health (ie, having other people who depend on you to show up at some time and do some task). Of course, high levels of stress are bad, bad, bad - but zero stress is also bad, in general.

So I never plan to stop working, even if I'm donating 100% of the proceeds to charity. I may work *less*, but I don't plan to ever quit. If you have a job that is sucking your soul away, of course, it could be a different story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormesis#Effects_in_aging

-W

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 02:14:22 PM »
I'm changing my perspective from retiring to financial independence. I think once that happens I will work less and 3 days per week sounds good. I'm a project manager and I could easily manage less projects and work less hours. I just don't feel comfortable doing that until I reach FI.

I figure though I would only do this if I had a minimal commute and enjoyed my work. In stating that I think its a really good way to move towards retirement. If I spend say 5 years working 3 days per week it would give me a lot more buffer plus I think stability in that it would preserve my stash at the critical early phase of retirement.

Still - there is no way I am working forever.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 03:27:06 PM »
I don't plan to either. FI is a different story altogether. Like many in my line of work, I expect to have the money to be very picky about work and be able to walk at any time. Nothing wrong with that choice.

maki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 04:01:35 PM »
yeah, the word "retire" has all kinds of connotations that go with it. i would go insane if i did nothing. once i reach FI, i'd like to spend my time helping the communities in my area, my state, and well...just people in general. in what specific capacity, i don't yet know, but being FI will give me the freedom and time to choose to do that.

Cyrano

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 05:00:34 AM »
Regarding dying, you begin that process well before retirement.

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 01:31:38 AM »
I'd like to work 3 days also.

Payday, Saturday, and Sunday, lol.

BreakingtheCycle

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 07:53:13 PM »
I'm a stay-at-home mom and consider myself in early retirement already, haha, but once the kids are grown I dream of having a homestead where I can "work" on growing food and raising chickens.  In that sense I will still be productive with my time and have goals/objectives/things to do other than sit around waiting to die :)