Author Topic: Net Worth Tracking Spreadsheet with Currency Conversion  (Read 1176 times)

Arapiles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Net Worth Tracking Spreadsheet with Currency Conversion
« on: December 28, 2018, 08:01:06 PM »
I'm an Australian expat currently working in Europe.  I've had postings in different countries through my career with the upshot that I have different investment holdings in Australia (directly with Vanguard denominated in AUD in their wholesale managed funds), in Europe (accumulating ETFs listed in EUR) and in the U.S (some direct shares (like BRK.B) but mainly index funds (VTI) all denominated in U.S).  These are legacy choices based on multiple factors including implications of a given tax residency.  I'm generally comfortable with keeping these three pillars in play.  But I would like to now track, regularly and more systematically, my net worth.  I've come across a number of spreadsheet options but most of them are based on a single currency model.  Does anyone have a (hopefully simple!) spreadsheet (perhaps in Excel) that can track net worth but also allow for currency conversion?  I'm uncomfortable with any type of subscription/aggregator model that actively seeks and updates financial information.  I also don't need any type of budget strategy.  I'm just looking for a simple net worth (assets-liabilities) spreadsheet that I can manually update perhaps every six months.  It would be useful (though not necessary) if that data could be converted to graph form.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! 

Cheers,
Arapiles

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
Re: Net Worth Tracking Spreadsheet with Currency Conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 03:19:06 AM »
If you're okay with creating your own spreadsheet in Google Docs, you can use their currency conversion:
https://infoinspired.com/google-docs/spreadsheet/convert-currency-in-google-sheets-using-googlefinance/

Arapiles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 05:36:18 PM »
Thanks!  That is very helpful.  To be honest, I’m not especially adept at creating spreadsheets but may well do so if I can’t find something off-the-shelf. 

Cheers
Arapiles 

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 01:16:51 AM »
You could always start with the simplest thing possible.  You could find the "total assets" in each of your accounts around the world, and copy the total into a spreadsheet by hand.  And then use currency conversion to add them all up using the same currency.  If you try to do everything at once, you'll probably not get there.  But try doing the very smallest amount that helps you, and you might build on that over time.