Author Topic: Need advice please.  (Read 1851 times)

Fitzy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Need advice please.
« on: April 08, 2014, 11:46:59 AM »
In my retirement plan through work, I have all funds going to 100% aggressive through Nationwide funds (as the work scheme is handled by Nationwide).  At the time I picked it, I didn't know any better and since I'm fairly young, I figured all aggressive was ok.

Now, we are being offered 4 different Vanguard funds (3 stocks, 1 bonds).  I have elected that all FUTURE pay deductions go 30, 30, 30, 10 spread out over the 4 funds.

What I'd like advice on is should I change my current allocation of 100% aggressive Nationwide funds and change them to 35, 35, 30 Vanguard stocks?  Or just leave my current allocation w/ Nationwide where they are now since all FUTURE elections will be used to purchase Vanguard funds.

The Vanguard funds are supposed to have a lower expense ratio, but I don't know by how much compared to Nationwide.

Thanks for any help!  :)

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
Re: Need advice please.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 11:54:35 AM »
In my retirement plan through work, I have all funds going to 100% aggressive through Nationwide funds (as the work scheme is handled by Nationwide).  At the time I picked it, I didn't know any better and since I'm fairly young, I figured all aggressive was ok.

Now, we are being offered 4 different Vanguard funds (3 stocks, 1 bonds).  I have elected that all FUTURE pay deductions go 30, 30, 30, 10 spread out over the 4 funds.

What I'd like advice on is should I change my current allocation of 100% aggressive Nationwide funds and change them to 35, 35, 30 Vanguard stocks?  Or just leave my current allocation w/ Nationwide where they are now since all FUTURE elections will be used to purchase Vanguard funds.

The Vanguard funds are supposed to have a lower expense ratio, but I don't know by how much compared to Nationwide.

Thanks for any help!  :)

Emphasis mine.

Figure out the difference and you have your answer.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Need advice please.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 12:01:44 PM »
Fitzy, good questions to ask.  You'll need to do a little more digging to portray your situation accurately (and by doing so you may determine a good answer yourself - as matchewed indicates).  Start with:
  - What are the holdings in the funds?  E.g., large/mid/small cap, US/Europe/Asia/World geographical location?
  - What are the expense ratios for all the funds (Vanguard and Nationwide) you are considering?
  - Do you have any options for investments that are rebalanced automatically?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!