Author Topic: Need Advice Lost Job Personal Capital  (Read 1610 times)

leebuckeye

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Need Advice Lost Job Personal Capital
« on: January 01, 2018, 12:18:04 PM »
I worked for a decade plus for a company and was unemployed in Nov 2017. I still have some severance and haven't quite lined up a new job yet. I live in Columbus OH and am considering moving to FL or someplace warmer with low state taxes. I am single.
I signed up with Personal Capital last week. They offered 3 free months if I transferred over $250k. I have 280k in my former employers 401k. I also have 80k in cash within that 401k the rest is in VIIX. I think once I move it over that account will close. I'm not sure if I can transfer this back if I choose not to go with personal capital. I have $50k in cash in another 401k. I have been risk averse sitting out for about 2.5 year 2013 and 2015 and only half of 2017. I kept thinking the market would go down. VIIX worries me as it is very heavily FAANG weighted I put money back in because I thought tax reform would help and I put about 2/3rds into VIIX and it has grown around 15% so I am satisfied with that rate. I have qualms about moving over to PC because I feel like I will miss out on being able to invest in Vanguard with the low cost institutional funds.  I like PC's presentation on a balanced portfolio with some in real estate some in other funds. Has anyone moved money from a 401k into an IRA or personal capital type account and regretted it? or has it always been a good move.

ILikeDividends

• Bristles
Re: Need Advice Lost Job Personal Capital
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 12:50:27 PM »
Has anyone moved money from a 401k into an IRA or personal capital type account and regretted it? or has it always been a good move.
Schwab has been my broker since, well, forever.  When I left my job I rolled my 401K into a Schwab IRA rollover account.  The 401K had like 10 funds to pick from.  My IRA has the entire market of stocks, funds, and bonds to pick from.

Low transaction fees (under $5.00) for stocks and ETFs.  Some Schwab-specific index funds with no fees at all. What's not to like?  Nope, never even a hint of regret.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!