Author Topic: Mr. Market  (Read 3786 times)

AdrianC

• Handlebar Stache
Mr. Market
« on: February 01, 2016, 07:07:26 AM »
If you're not familiar with "Mr. Market" here's a short read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Market

If you're not planning on being FIRE any time soon you really should want Mr. Market to be very pessimistic.

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mr. Market
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 05:42:04 PM »
Thanks, I had seen that word several times and never realized it referred to a specific book

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 08:16:23 PM »

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 07:10:48 AM »
Thanks, I had seen that word several times and never realized it referred to a specific book

The Intelligent Investor IMO is one of the best books I have ever read on investing and understanding the market in general.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 08:11:24 AM »

The Intelligent Investor IMO is one of the best books I have ever read on investing and understanding the market in general.

agreed in that its a must read!

AdrianC

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 11:07:35 AM »

Yes, though it's a bit archaic. The chapter describing Mr. Market is a must-read.

I posted about Mr. Market after reading several posts from apparently newbie investors worried about short term drops in their 401(k)s.

Maybe we need to break out the hamburger metaphor:

“To refer to a personal taste of mine, I’m going to buy hamburgers the rest of my life. When hamburgers go down in price, we sing the ‘Hallelujah Chorus’ in the Buffett household. When hamburgers go up in price, we weep. For most people, it’s the same with everything in life they will be buying — except stocks. When stocks go down and you can get more for your money, people don’t like them anymore.” - Warren Buffett.

Mr.Tako

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Mr. Tako Escapes
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 04:16:15 PM »
If anyone wants to read the actual Parable of Mr. Market from the book, I included it in a recent post:

http://www.mrtakoescapes.com/2016/01/16/mr-markets-hangover/

That said, the Intelligent Investor is an outstanding book, and probably worth owning.

bearkat

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 08:02:58 AM »

Yes, though it's a bit archaic. The chapter describing Mr. Market is a must-read.

I posted about Mr. Market after reading several posts from apparently newbie investors worried about short term drops in their 401(k)s.

Maybe we need to break out the hamburger metaphor:

“To refer to a personal taste of mine, I’m going to buy hamburgers the rest of my life. When hamburgers go down in price, we sing the ‘Hallelujah Chorus’ in the Buffett household. When hamburgers go up in price, we weep. For most people, it’s the same with everything in life they will be buying — except stocks. When stocks go down and you can get more for your money, people don’t like them anymore.” - Warren Buffett.

Agreed that while a good read, it's really only 3 (maybe 4) of the 20 chapters that take it to the "great" level. The updated version with added commentary from Jason Zweig added a nice touch though.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!