Author Topic: Motif Investing and Nintendo - Thoughts  (Read 4642 times)

flyersman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Motif Investing and Nintendo - Thoughts
« on: July 18, 2016, 08:59:26 AM »
ONE

I have some play money ($5K-$10K) and want to just test the waters with a few targeted stocks and see if I can make some quick returns.

One place I have looked is https://www.motifinvesting.com

They have some interesting options available especially being able to buy into IPO's in conjunction with JPMorgan
https://www.motifinvesting.com/products/ipos
https://www.jpmorgan.com/country/US/en/ ... 0543267885

Typically IPOs have not been available to majority of people so this could be a easy way to get exposure.

Any thoughts on this offering or using Motif in general?

I have thought about getting into some of their Video Game and Rental Property motifs as well.

TWO

Any thoughts on buying into Nintendo. I know the stock has skyrocketed the past few days but it hasnt launched in Japan yet which could make the stock sky rocket even more.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Motif Investing and Nintendo - Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 09:21:58 AM »
Nintendo is probably overpriced already because of people who don't know what they are doing getting excited and buying it without doing due diligence. As evidence of that, see the several threads (including this one) of people wanting to buy Nintendo because of one game.

I strongly recommend against picking individual stocks. Especially without doing the deep research needed to know what you are doing. You'd make much more money if you spent your time increasing your job-based income or finding more ways to save money.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 01:44:15 PM »
I have a little bit of "play money" also (little = $60) and picked up a couple (literally, 2) shares of NTDOY a week ago.  It has done nothing but increase . . . for who knows how long.  I will not buy any more, but consider it a fun experiment to see how high it can go and if I can watch it and if needed, sell at the "right" time to make a little profit. 

I consider this a hobby/game and not a serious investment.  Stock picking is not recommended.  I think that is okay to do going in with the right mindset.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 09:37:52 AM by lunahsol »

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 02:45:58 PM »
Buy Pokemon the game with your "play" money.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 12:05:42 PM »
TWO

Any thoughts on buying into Nintendo. I know the stock has skyrocketed the past few days but it hasnt launched in Japan yet which could make the stock sky rocket even more.

I thought this was kind of hilarious: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/25/pokemon-go-nintendo-shares-tokyo-stock-exchange-niantic

Good thing investors are doing the appropriate research with their stock picks. ;)

flyersman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 01:26:34 PM »
I never bought Nintendo. Should have bet against :)

beastykato

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 02:40:04 PM »
Buy oil.  Not pokemon.  People drive to pokestops.   I guarantee you make money on oil. 

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 03:07:52 PM »
Yep... Nintendo got hammered yesterday down 17(?)%

But look, they've got millions of people hooked on it already. Once they start charging only a fraction of people for regular in game purchases then it will flow through to earnings...

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 03:30:19 PM »
Buy oil.  Not pokemon.  People drive to pokestops.   I guarantee you make money on oil.

People also walk to pokestops, so buy Nike. When people walk, they get hungry and thirsty, so buy Kraft and Coca-Cola. They need to buy that food somewhere, so buy Wal-Mart. Then they recharge their phones, so buy Southern Company. Some of them will not be paying attention as they walk around and will be hit by cars, so buy UnitedHealth Group and AIG. The drivers who hit them will need new cars, so buy stock in Ford. Et cetera, et cetera.

Or, you know, just save time and buy VTSAX instead, as usual. ; )

beastykato

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 05:08:12 PM »
LOL All of which are true!  So, Pokemon pretty much control the world. 

On a serious note, I just believe oil still has a long way to recover.  Buy VTSAX for retirement + Oil for quick cash.  WOOP 

Who owns the biggest bike manufacturer?  I'm about to pedal to a pokestop.   As I pedal it recharges my phone so all is good.

Vagabond76

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 06:12:13 PM »
Nintendo only makes a fraction of the money from the game. The licensee, Apple, and Google make most of the money.

flyersman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 08:47:59 PM »

People also walk to pokestops, so buy Nike. When people walk, they get hungry and thirsty, so buy Kraft and Coca-Cola. They need to buy that food somewhere, so buy Wal-Mart. Then they recharge their phones, so buy Southern Company. Some of them will not be paying attention as they walk around and will be hit by cars, so buy UnitedHealth Group and AIG. The drivers who hit them will need new cars, so buy stock in Ford. Et cetera, et cetera.

Or, you know, just save time and buy VTSAX instead, as usual. ; )

Actually put another 5k into FSTVX today

flyersman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 08:49:14 PM »
LOL All of which are true!  So, Pokemon pretty much control the world. 

On a serious note, I just believe oil still has a long way to recover.  Buy VTSAX for retirement + Oil for quick cash.  WOOP 

Who owns the biggest bike manufacturer?  I'm about to pedal to a pokestop.   As I pedal it recharges my phone so all is good.

Are their oil funds that you recommend or just individual like Exxon, Chevron etc

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 09:42:45 PM »

I do!  Giant Mfg Co, number 435 (0.05262% of assets) on my list of holdings in VEE, Emerging markets all-cap, which is 3% of my asset allocation.   So, $500.

http://www.cips.org/supply-management/news/2016/january/secret-giant-is-worlds-biggest-bicycle-manufacturer-and-still-growing/

https://www.vanguardcanada.ca/advisors/mvc/detail/etf/overview?portId=9556##portfoliodata

My wife also works there - is that a problem with holding too many eggs in one basket?  ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 09:47:32 PM by Heckler »

beastykato

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 09:15:13 AM »
Awesome to know about the bike manufacturer!  I don't own a giant, I'm too cheap but I do have a $500 diamondback for some light mountain biking. 

As for the oil, there are some good funds I'm sure.  I personally have been buying Exxon, Chevron, BP, and Shell.   Just bought some more BP today actually :).  The dividends are nice and as long as oil prices can get to ~$55 there shouldn't be any risk of a dividend cut in the future.  It's currently back down to $44/barrel I believe.