Author Topic: Morningstar  (Read 1701 times)

ltt

• Pencil Stache
Morningstar
« on: January 20, 2017, 10:48:29 AM »
Is there anyone here that subscribes to Morningstar?  I'm just curious because I do find myself using it a lot, but don't have a subscription.  I am kind of curious in analysts reports, but would have to subscribe in order to read them.

Also, if not, how do you normally do your research when deciding on an investment  (such as a stock fund or bond fund)?  Or do you just normally go to the website (say Vanguard, Fidelity, etc.) and do research from the respective website.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Morningstar
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 10:51:54 AM »
I just use Fidelity. None of my research is that complicated. What index does it track? What are the expense ratios? Has it succeeded in tracking the index previously? Is it run by an eastern syndicate?

ETA: oh yeah, is it free to buy/sell?

SeattleCPA

• Handlebar Stache
    • Evergreen Small Business
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 10:52:28 AM »
This isn't what you ask, but I fervently believe you would get a much better return on your investment by learning about investing in general--and then passive investing and asset allocation specifically--than you will by trying to research various mutual funds and stocks, etc.

Can I be so bold as to throw out a handful of titles that might be available at local library?

John Bogle's Common Sense Guide to Investing
Burton Malkiel's Random Walk Down Wallstreet
David Swensen's Unconventional Success.

AZryan

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 12:28:28 PM »
You can use 'em for their chart comparisons (they include dividends reinvested) and create portfolios -where you can make up your actual portfolio and/or any number of other ones to see how they compare over time.

Sometimes they have some good little video clips.

I wouldn't bother ever paying for their services, though. You can get a 30-day free trial, I think. Why not do that before you finalize your portfolio choices and want to hear some decent, but very typical, advice?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!