Author Topic: Modifying Investment Order and reallocating inefficient decisions  (Read 807 times)

longrunoutlook

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hello everyone! I've been lurking in the FI community for a while, and for the last 18 or so months I've finally been in a position to really dive in and try some different investment options.

My current situation looks something like this:

• I am currently in my mid-to-late twenties
  • I have a comfortable amount of living expenses allocated for Cost of Living and emergencies
  • I have no debt.
  • I make approximately $60k a year
  • I have maxed out my employee 401k match
  • I fund my Roth with a few hundred dollars a month, maxing it out every year with a lump sum as I approach the contribution deadline.

Here's where I may have made a misstep: I got really entranced by the whole concept of FIRE, so I started a taxable Vanguard account as soon as I felt able in order to have something that I could immediately draw upon if I hit an amount that I could attain FIRE. But after doing a bit more reading, I realized this was probably not the smartest or most efficient way to allocate my resources (Though certainly far better than letting it sit in a checking account or buying a fancy car).

It boils down to two questions: Should I stop contributing to the taxable Vanguard Fund and return to the standard investment order (At least until I increase my salary substantially)? And if I do stop contributing to Vanguard, should I let what I have already invested stay in the account and reinvest the dividends (Around $20k), or should I invest it elsewhere?

Thank you for your time!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 09:42:00 AM by longrunoutlook »

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Modifying Investment Order and reallocating inefficient decisions
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 09:50:26 AM »
The standard Investment Order is not a law of nature, so there can be reasons to do otherwise.  In the absence of such reasons, however, ...?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 10:06:49 AM »
Your brokerage account is now your emergency fund at a 50% discount (your $20k is worth $10k in e-funds).

Invest your e-fund using the Order.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 11:42:13 AM »
Yes

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!