Author Topic: Max I can invest in both an traditional and Roth IRA?  (Read 2066 times)

investor_n00b

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Max I can invest in both an traditional and Roth IRA?
« on: November 03, 2015, 06:58:28 PM »
I have both a traditional and Roth IRA. What's the max per year I can contribute total to both? Should I focus on contributing to the ROTH or can I contribute to both?

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
Re: Max I can invest in both an traditional and Roth IRA?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 07:02:01 PM »
IRA + ROTH = $5,500 max. If you are in a 15% or higher tax bracket IRA is probably best if you qualify. 15% can go either way though.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 07:03:43 PM by Radagast »

investor_n00b

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 07:30:34 PM »
Thanks! What are some other options do I have for investing money if I'm clueless about the stock market?

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 07:34:01 PM »
That depends. Where are your accounts at now? (more questions likely to follow the answer)

investor_n00b

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 07:54:59 PM »
Well, I of kind of got started late with this investing thing. I'm in my mid 30s and recently in the past few years decided to take investing for my retirement more seriously. I have a traditional IRA which I rolled over from a 401k from an old job. It's just sitting there. I feel like I should do something with it. Maybe dump it all into Facebook stock LOL. Other than that I've been focusing on maxing out my ROTH each year. I also have a decent nest egg in case I lose my job or if I want to buy something nice every once a while, but I try not to touch it. That's about it. What other investing options do I have?

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 08:01:56 PM »
Probably the best option is to read https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf

After you read that consider transferring it to Vanguard and investing appropriately. However I don't know where it is at right now, the current company may already be good enough.