Author Topic: Low Growth Market  (Read 1661 times)

ThatGuy

• Stubble
Low Growth Market
« on: January 05, 2019, 03:47:57 PM »
I've read several articles stating that the market (U.S. market) is going to have low to no growth over the next several years.  What affect will this type of market have on dividend stocks/funds?

fell-like-rain

• Stubble
Re: Low Growth Market
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 07:32:45 PM »
You’re probably better off assuming that financial “news” articles were written solely as filler and that the authors have a worse-than-random choice of being right. I could write an article right now saying that strong job numbers and wage growth for December mean the economy will kick butt until 2025. Heck, I could write several. That doesn’t make it true.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 07:45:29 PM »

jacoavluha

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 08:13:56 PM »
If you're young and working and saving, you should be on your knees praying for a prolonged bear market. Lower prices are better during accumulation. It's the early retirement years when you want the bull market.

ThatGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 08:42:11 PM »
If you're young and working and saving, you should be on your knees praying for a prolonged bear market. Lower prices are better during accumulation. It's the early retirement years when you want the bull market.

I'm working and saving but I'm old. :)  I should add I don't agree with the negative rhetoric but I'm not the brightest bulb either.

jacoavluha

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 08:48:50 PM »
The most important thing is, there's not a damn thing you can do about it. No one knows the future. You pick your asset allocation based on your age, risk tolerance, personal facts and circumstances. Then you invest in low cost broad market index funds, diversify, save, and stay the course. The stuff you're reading is meaningless.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 03:48:25 PM »
Bottom line no body knows anything. The market half the time is bouncing around on political noise vs how business has been doing especially this last year. Thursday was it the jobs numbers came out and the market rallied like everyone was missing the boat and that was right after it going down because growth in China supposedly slowed. Great market for Traders with all the volatility but thats about it. Just figure our your asset allocation and plan and stick with it. If you go to the Likes of Marketwatch every other article will be the opposite.