Author Topic: Looking to start accumulating SPY shares  (Read 1729 times)

FinancialHacker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Looking to start accumulating SPY shares
« on: September 24, 2018, 03:30:44 AM »
Hi,

Whit the markets at current record highs is it a good idea to start slowly accumulating SPY shares?

Thx

Kris

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
Re: Looking to start accumulating SPY shares
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 05:20:55 AM »
Why slowly?

Go fast, fly high!

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 09:59:50 AM »
Assuming you're going with SPY because SPDR ETFs trade commission free where you're investing, I would go with SPTM, which is the SPDR equivalent of Vanguards VTSAX in that it's a total US market fund, not just the S&P 500.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 10:04:36 AM »
its always the best idea to dump as much money into whatever your AA is based on what you wrote it down to be as soon as you get it. unless your IPS says you should DCA lump sums which i dont know why it would b/c thats a bad losing idea in the long run.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 10:07:42 AM »
When you say "slowly accumulate", do you have a lump sum to invest, or are you just starting (or changing) monthly contributions/purchases? 

FinancialHacker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 11:03:23 AM »
Because  i'm based in Europe I can only trade UCITS ETF's here in Europe, fro some reason under MIFID II rules US listed ETF's cannot be traded anymore. SO I need to lookup for a total market ETF that is listed on the European market.

For now I have my basic cash that I want to have on my bank account 20K. So now I can invest a monthly amount of 2.2 K , if I look at the use markets we just have the longest bull run ( I know it can trade here for a long time) but I wanted to start accumulating a basic amount of 750€ and put the rest on the side line if we get the dip i will start the pump the fully monthly 2.2k in the markets. So I can have a lower average price on my shares

Found MMM 3 weeks ago, could save me from wasting € for the past 8 years  lol

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 11:08:02 AM »
If you have 20k to invest, invest it all.  Dollar cost averaging can help avoid some volatility, but it will not usually result in better returns.  If you are after the greatest returns, the more money you have in the market, the longer, the better.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 11:08:13 AM »
Because  i'm based in Europe I can only trade UCITS ETF's here in Europe, fro some reason under MIFID II rules US listed ETF's cannot be traded anymore. SO I need to lookup for a total market ETF that is listed on the European market.

For now I have my basic cash that I want to have on my bank account 20K. So now I can invest a monthly amount of 2.2 K , if I look at the use markets we just have the longest bull run ( I know it can trade here for a long time) but I wanted to start accumulating a basic amount of 750€ and put the rest on the side line if we get the dip i will start the pump the fully monthly 2.2k in the markets. So I can have a lower average price on my shares

Found MMM 3 weeks ago, could save me from wasting € for the past 8 years  lol

putting money aside to buy at dip is dumb and a losers game- since you just found MMM i assume you havent read JLCollins stock series - go read this and dump all of the 2.2k in a week you can afford. 

http://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/

trying to time the market is a fools game.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!