Author Topic: Looking for any final input on these IRA/401k allocations  (Read 1596 times)

frozenpenguin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Looking for any final input on these IRA/401k allocations
« on: March 01, 2015, 05:20:10 PM »
Thanks for all the input in my other posts so far. I’m currently re-evaluating all of our retirement accounts and this is what I’ve come up with to so far. Looking for any final input/reassurances that I’m doing the right things here.

First some background, I’m 42, my wife is 41. From my projections we might be able to retire in 11 years or so. Right now we have 135K combined in Roth IRAs, she has 165K in her 401k, I just started contributing to my 401k, so that balance is only 2K, and we have about 15K in savings. I also have 13 years vested in a pension from my work which is now frozen (meaning they are not contributing to it anymore). I can imagine sometime over the next few years they will terminate the plan and pay me in a lump sum, but I’m not sure how much that will be.

I am in the process of moving our IRAs to Vanguard. Am planning on the following portfolio there:

VTSAX - Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares – 55%
VBLTX - Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Admiral Shares – 20%
VTIAX – Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Admiral Shares - 25%

I’ve reallocated her 401k, also changing future contributions and quarterly re-balancing to the following:

VFIAX – Vanguard 500 Index Fund Admiral Class - 56%
VBTLX – Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Admiral Shares - 20%
VIMAX – Mid-Cap Index Admiral Shares - 5%
VSMAX – Small-Cap Index Admiral Shares - 9%
RERFX – American Funds EuroPacific Growth Fund - 10%

For my 401K, the options are limited and these are the best of the bunch, again contributions and quarterly re-balancing to the following:

BTIEX – Deutsche Equity 500 Index Fund Class S - 48%
VTIAX – Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Admiral Shares - 30%
DBIRX – Dreyfus Bond Market Index Fund Basic Class - 10%
NMPAX - Columbia Mid Cap Index Fund Class Z – 6%
NAESX – Vanguard Small Capitalization Index Fund Investor Shares - 6%

Do those portfolio allocations look good? I’m try to approximate a basic 3 fund portfolio as much as I can. I feel like I’ve just been doing just about everything wrong up until this point, but I’m finally starting to get it all figured out, lol.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 05:36:19 PM by frozenpenguin »