Author Topic: Looking for a good fund calculator  (Read 1931 times)

firescape

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Looking for a good fund calculator
« on: May 11, 2017, 07:57:11 PM »
Hi all,

Is there such a thing as a fund calculator that compares two funds and knows the expenses, sales charge and rates of return for each fund?
I know Vanguard has a fund comparison feature on their website. When I look there at American Funds I own vs. Vanguard SP500 Index fund, the American Funds always beat the rate of return 'since inception', but none of the other periods. But with AF I had to pay 5.75% sales charge up front. How do I know how much that cost me in terms of my rate of return. How do I know if the Vanguard fund returning say, 1% less than the AF (since inception) is actually the better investment?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Looking for a good fund calculator
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 09:18:16 PM »
In general, see How to use Morningstar growth charts - Bogleheads.

For your American Funds question, consider Investing with American Funds like betting on Tiger Woods - Bogleheads.org.  In other words, AF may have outperformed a long time ago, but not in the recent several years.

firescape

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 07:01:24 PM »
Thanks MDM. I finally had time to play around with the calculator at Morningstar, and read the Tiger Woods article.
I'm still wondering if the returns it shows are after front end sales charge, expense ratios and other fees associated with the fund are accounted for, or net of fees.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 07:10:20 PM »
Thanks MDM. I finally had time to play around with the calculator at Morningstar, and read the Tiger Woods article.
I'm still wondering if the returns it shows are after front end sales charge, expense ratios and other fees associated with the fund are accounted for, or net of fees.
Morningstar's "growth of $10K" does account for expense ratios.

It does not account for a front end (or back end) sales charge (aka load).

See Morningstar Data Definitions for more.

firescape

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 03:05:37 PM »
Ok, good to know. Thanks.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!