Author Topic: Land Investments  (Read 1533 times)

GratefulDeadBanker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Land Investments
« on: March 23, 2019, 02:41:17 PM »
Hi All,

I recently have inherited a large size of land (~1000 acres). I knew for a long time this would one day come to me but never thought to much into actually making money off the land. The land has historically been used for growing pine trees but tree prices are in the gutter. This land is in the Southeast.

My Question: What other ways should I be thinking about making money off the land? Would something like solar panels be a money generator?

Thanks in Advance!

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
Re: Land Investments
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 07:09:46 AM »
Lease it for hunting/recreation.
Lease it for energy development (only if near power lines)
Sell it as is.
Subdivide it into smaller tracts (20-100) acres and sell those.
Put part of it into a conversation easement and sell the tax credits to a third party.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 09:51:05 PM »
I wouldn't bet on a comeback in timber prices. Paperless offices arrived a few years ago and construction of new stick homes would have to skyrocket to make up for that market.

This would be a good time to use a land brokerage to unload the acreage on a timber company or outdoors enthusiast.

In my southern state, far-rural hilly wood land goes for $1500/acre. Near a town or level land might be $2500 and near a decent sized city might be $10k. In any case, this is a retirement opportunity so be careful who you hire to sell it for you.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 12:24:14 PM »
Hunting leases.

I'll pay 3k a year if you agree to not let anyone else hunt it.....!  :P

Another option is to simply liquidate.  This kind of stuff happens all the time.  I would expect you to pull a minimum of $1500 per acre at the bare minimum, btu certainly get it appraised.  Even at 1.5k an acre you are looking at 1.5mil.  Congrats, you've FIRE'd.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!