Author Topic: Just Invested 100k - calm me down!  (Read 7391 times)

LaurenR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Just Invested 100k - calm me down!
« on: November 28, 2017, 11:20:31 AM »
Just opened a Vanguard account and bought 70k worth of VTSAX, 20k of VTIAX, and 10k of VBTLX.  I've never done this before and I'm trying not to hyperventilate.  Tell me its going to be OK!!!!!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Just Invested 100k - calm me down!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 11:29:34 AM »
It's going to be fine.
EVen if the market tanks tomorrow, as long as you leave the money invested you'll be fine.

For encouragement, read the story of Bob, the Hypothetical investor with the World's Worst Timing
Spoiler: he does just fine in the long run.
http://awealthofcommonsense.com/2014/02/worlds-worst-market-timer/

ILikeDividends

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 01:32:15 PM »
Just opened a Vanguard account and bought 70k worth of VTSAX, 20k of VTIAX, and 10k of VBTLX.  I've never done this before and I'm trying not to hyperventilate.  Tell me its going to be OK!!!!!
Just for grins, throttle your anxiety using a little humor with this thread:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/top-is-in/
26 pages of doomsayer nonsense and consequent ridicule about the market hitting "the top."
It was started last April, and we're up about 10% since then.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 01:42:21 PM by ILikeDividends »

LaurenR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 02:18:39 PM »
Thank you!!!!  A funny thread, a worst-case scenario, and the great book recommendation were just the ticket.  :P 

I just wasn't expecting my heart rate to skyrocket when I was confident I was doing the right thing!  Got my thrills for the week.

surfhb

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 02:45:02 PM »
If it make you feel better, your balance went up around $1000 today  ;)

LaurenR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 03:25:46 PM »
Um yeah that definitely does!

ILikeDividends

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 03:39:09 PM »
Um yeah that definitely does!
Top is in!!!!

(Oops, wrong thread; sorry)

EricL

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 03:51:28 PM »
In the years - possibly year - to come you'll probably lose about 40-50% of that money.  But in the years to follow you'll probably gain all of it back plus 40-50%.  Maybe more.  And you'll do better than a lot of professional investors who put most of their money on wonderful stocks like Google, Tesla, etc.  Certainly better than people who pay said pros to invest for them.  You'll definitely do better than speculators who'll bet on stuff like bitcoin only to lose shirts when it bottoms out; then lose their pants by reinvesting too late when it recovers.

Unless you die prematurely, get sued, or see mushroom clouds on the horizon, it's all good.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 04:09:20 PM »
In the years - possibly year - to come you'll probably lose about 40-50% of that money.  But in the years to follow you'll probably gain all of it back plus 40-50%.  Maybe more.  ...

That's one hell of a prediction.  If we lost 50% (or even 40%) it would be one of the worst market downturns in history.  It would be worse than the 2008 collapse, and on par with the truly awful 73-74 bear market.

Maybe it will happen.  Personally I suspect we'll see something far less drastic - maybe 25%.  Time will tell of course...

surfhb

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 05:19:12 PM »
In the years - possibly year - to come you'll probably lose about 40-50% of that money.  But in the years to follow you'll probably gain all of it back plus 40-50%.  Maybe more.  ...

That's one hell of a prediction.  If we lost 50% (or even 40%) it would be one of the worst market downturns in history.  It would be worse than the 2008 collapse, and on par with the truly awful 73-74 bear market.

Maybe it will happen.  Personally I suspect we'll see something far less drastic - maybe 25%.  Time will tell of course...

2008 was definitely between 40-50%.   Same with the Dot.com crash a decade earlier.   

Its going to be interesting around here when another recession hits us.     The early 30s millennial crowd has no idea what a bear market is and what it can do to your head when %50 of the money you've work so hard to save goes POOF!!  ;0

Hope you guys  Stay The Course
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 05:28:54 PM by surfhb »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 05:40:40 PM »

2008 was definitely between 40-50%.   Same with the Dot.com crash a decade earlier.   

Its going to be interesting around here when another recession hits us.     The early 30s millennial crowd has no idea what a bear market is  ;0

Hope you guys  Stay The course!!!

I guess its all in how you define the question.  If we're considering the absolute peak of intra-day trading to the absolute trough, and using the SP500 as our benchmark, then yes the 2007-2008 crash saw a drop of about 53% (dividends reinvested) from Oct '07 to March '09.  If we're talking single calendar year the great recession had just one down year (2008) of -35.6%. If we're talking rolling 12 month periods we're at -39%. If the investor were holding 20% bonds the losses were even less.

So yes, I'll amend my earlier statement, but my point is that these sorts of 40-50% loses have only occurred a few times during the last 100 years, and the poster was predicting another one in the next year.  Yes, it could happen, but if we look at what an average 'bear' market looks like it's closer to 25%.

Agreed that it will be interesting to see how this forum fares during a true bear market.  MMM hasn't been around for anything but happy times so far.  Whether it's -20% or -50% I suspect we'll see too many lose faith, give into fear and sell for big loses.  Hopefully most will stay the course, or better still position themselves for the rebound by optimising their lifestyles a bit more.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 05:43:43 PM »

Agreed that it will be interesting to see how this forum fares during a true bear market.  MMM hasn't been around for anything but happy times so far.  Whether it's -20% or -50% I suspect we'll see too many lose faith, give into fear and sell for big loses.  Hopefully most will stay the course, or better still position themselves for the rebound by optimising their lifestyles a bit more.

Million Dollar Question right there ;)

surfhb

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 05:47:59 PM »

Its going to be interesting around here when another recession hits us.     The early 30s millennial crowd has no idea what a bear market is  ;0

I guess its all in how you define the question.  If we're considering the absolute peak of intra-day trading to the absolute trough, and using the SP500 as our benchmark, then yes the 2007-2008 crash saw a drop of about 53% (dividends reinvested) from Oct '07 to March '09.  If we're talking single calendar year the great recession had just one down year (2008) of -35.6%. If we're talking rolling 12 month periods we're at -39%. If the investor were holding 20% bonds the losses were even less.

So yes, I'll amend my earlier statement, but my point is that these sorts of 40-50% loses have only occurred a few times during the last 100 years, and the poster was predicting another one in the next year.  Yes, it could happen, but if we look at what an average 'bear' market looks like it's closer to 25%.

I hope youre right.    I see many 30 something folks here projected the day when they will tell their boss to take a hike when they have yet to experience a recession.    When one loses a job, 50% of their net worth and home value, it can take a real toll.   Ugh....I never want to go back to 2007/08

Still though,  there's no better place to learn and talk about optimism and living a more simple life.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 05:50:02 PM by surfhb »

EricL

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 07:50:03 PM »
My post was meant to be darkly humorous but hopeful.  The 2008 depression dropped my net worth by 50% easy.  But I got it all back because I wasn't stupid enough to pull out.  I was stupid enough to get scared and not continue buying all the way through the low points.  If I'd kept investing regularly through that period my net worth would be quite impressive now.  As it is, I still made out really well.  I retired in 2014 (with a pension) with about $650k invested and I'm nearing a $1 million now.  I just try to keep in mind the markets fluctuate uncontrollably and not to get freaked out when they go down or goofy happy when they go up. 

Vanguard is where almost half my money is and overall it does much better than the stocks I've picked - and I've mostly picked winners - plus a few dogs.  The OP doesn't have much to worry about IMO.

As for the millennials' reaction to a depression, I don't think they'll be that freaked out.  No, most of them haven't lived through one.  But almost all have had to deal with a low grade recession singular to their generation.  One with high college tuition, resulting debts, service sector jobs, poor job security, stereotyping from employers and older peers, and the usual struggle with consumer culture every generation goes through.  A depression would hurt them but I don't necessarily see them all losing their collective minds at once.  Though I do see the media laughing at them as the most consumerist go bonkers.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 01:12:31 PM »
I think you should have bought more international.

EricL

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 05:00:36 PM »
I think you should have bought more international.

Maybe. Though I had investments in HDB, an Indian bank, and CTRP, a Chinese travel agency, that didn't fair any better than my US stocks in 2008.  Though both recovered just as handily.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 05:04:22 PM »

I hope youre right.    I see many 30 something folks here projected the day when they will tell their boss to take a hike when they have yet to experience a recession.    When one loses a job, 50% of their net worth and home value, it can take a real toll.   Ugh....I never want to go back to 2007/08

Still though,  there's no better place to learn and talk about optimism and living a more simple life.

This early 30's "millennial" quite distinctly recalls being laid off in 2008.  I'm not sure why you think we're ignorant.

surfhb

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 05:20:39 PM »

This early 30's "millennial" quite distinctly recalls being laid off in 2008.  I'm not sure why you think we're ignorant.

Sorry...I Never used such an ugly term.    I was talking about loosing hundreds of thousands of dollars equity values, job loss, home equity loss...while maintaining a family, ect.       I'm simply saying our economic situation has been so stellar for so long many people such as yourself have not experienced the full brunt of a recession and what it does to ones self esteem, family...not to mention your FIRE plans.   You were quite young in 2008 and just starting out.   
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 05:25:41 PM by surfhb »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 05:30:06 PM »

Sorry...I Never used such an ugly term.    I was talking about loosing hundreds of thousands of dollars equity values, job loss, home equity loss...while maintaining a family, ect.       I'm simply saying our economic situation has been so stellar for so long many people such as yourself have not experienced the full brunt of a recession and what it does to ones self esteem, familys...not to mention your FIRE plans.   You were quite young in 2008 and just starting out.   

lol - I was raised below the poverty line and was well into my 20's when I was laid off from a government job with pension plan etc, but okay.  Perhaps I'm naive and clueless, not ignorant?

I would argue that many, if not most, people who fall into the millennial category are struggling so much under the burden of education costs and offensively high housing costs, both of which are dramatically higher than they were for previous generations, that they're not likely to have hundreds of thousands of dollars to watch decline.  Regardless, I think we'll be just fine.

surfhb

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 05:43:24 PM »

Sorry...I Never used such an ugly term.    I was talking about loosing hundreds of thousands of dollars equity values, job loss, home equity loss...while maintaining a family, ect.       I'm simply saying our economic situation has been so stellar for so long many people such as yourself have not experienced the full brunt of a recession and what it does to ones self esteem, familys...not to mention your FIRE plans.   You were quite young in 2008 and just starting out.   

lol - I was raised below the poverty line and was well into my 20's when I was laid off from a government job with pension plan etc, but okay.  Perhaps I'm naive and clueless, not ignorant?

I would argue that many, if not most, people who fall into the millennial category are struggling so much under the burden of education costs and offensively high housing costs, both of which are dramatically higher than they were for previous generations, that they're not likely to have hundreds of thousands of dollars to watch decline.  Regardless, I think we'll be just fine.

That's the spirit!

ILikeDividends

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 05:47:42 PM »
. . . both of which are dramatically higher than they were for previous generations, that they're not likely to have hundreds of thousands of dollars to watch decline. 
My grandfather bought a one acre plot of land with a two bedroom house, and a $5,000 30 year mortgage, in East Palo Alto, California, at the turn of the last century.  My parents bought a 3 bedroom house on a much smaller plot for $27,000 in the late sixties.  I bought my 3 bedroom house for $110,000 on a postage stamp sized plot in the mid eighties.  That house is presently worth over $400,000.

It's just the way the system works.  Every generation pays more in dollar terms for a given commodity or service than the generation before it.  It's the percentage of one's income that they have to pay that really matters.

My concern, these days, is that the 2008 melt-down resulted in an unprecedented response from the central banks around the world.  We are through the looking glass now.  So far, so good, but no one really knows how this experiment is going to turn out, simply because it's never been done before.

The only thing I know for certain is that as long as there are markets to invest in, there will be bubbles and crashes periodically.  And that's a good thing.  Without them, it means there are no markets anymore.

Not sure if I actually have a point here.  Only to say, I sincerely hope that your assumption that "you'll be just fine" proves true.  Because if it doesn't, no one is going to be just fine. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 06:22:34 PM by ILikeDividends »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 06:34:06 PM »
. . . both of which are dramatically higher than they were for previous generations, that they're not likely to have hundreds of thousands of dollars to watch decline. 
My grandfather bought a one acre plot of land with a two bedroom house, and a $5,000 30 year mortgage, in East Palo Alto, California, at the turn of the last century.  My parents bought a 3 bedroom house on a much smaller plot for $27,000 in the late sixties.  I bought my 3 bedroom house for $110,000 on a postage stamp sized plot in the mid eighties.  That house is presently worth over $400,000.

It's just the way the system works.  Every generation pays more in dollar terms for a given commodity or service than the generation before it. It's the percentage of one's income that they have to pay that really matters.

My concern, these days, is that the 2008 melt-down resulted in an unprecedented response from the central banks around the world.  We are through the looking glass now.  So far, so good, but no one really knows how this experiment is going to turn out, simply because it's never been done before.

The only thing I know for certain is that as long as there are markets to invest in, there will be bubbles and crashes periodically.  And that's a good thing.  Without them, it means there are no markets anymore.

Not sure if I actually have a point here.  Only to say, I sincerely hope that your assumption that "you'll be just fine" proves true.  Because if it doesn't, no one is going to be just fine.

Conveniently, someone has ran the numbers already :)

https://streets.mn/2015/07/23/chart-of-the-day-percentage-of-income-paid-in-rent-over-time-age-22-34/#lightbox/0/

ILikeDividends

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2017, 06:54:22 PM »
That's actually a pretty frightening chart.  :(

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2017, 06:57:58 PM »

Yuuup! It really is.

But hey, at least the 1%er's are getting richer, right?

:(

EricL

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2017, 07:11:03 PM »

Yuuup! It really is.

But hey, at least the 1%er's are getting richer, right?

:(

It's all good until climate change flood the coasts and over population devours the food.  Then we'll be eating the rich.  Remember, nobody gave a damn that the 1% in France prior to the Revolution lorded it over everyone else.  Then the harvests came up short for a few years and being a shopaholic in a white beehive hairdo became a head chopping offense.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2017, 11:24:44 PM »
Remember that even without growth you will make money. Check your acct in dec for the dividends!

EricL

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 11:49:07 PM »
And consider Vanguard’s dividend reinvestment option if you don’t need to spend them.