Author Topic: John Bogle - a Mustachian man in an industry of hustlers  (Read 6665 times)

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
John Bogle - a Mustachian man in an industry of hustlers
« on: July 31, 2015, 08:09:39 AM »
Great little article
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-99-of-trading-is-pointless-john-bogle-2015-07-30

"Don't do something, just stand there!". Fits right in with MMM investing philosophy.

fb132

Re: John Bogle - a Mustachian man in an industry of hustlers
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 08:31:16 AM »
I always liked him, he seems like a simple person in a world where anything is but simple. I guess that's why he started vanguard, he wanted something...simple.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 09:18:41 AM »
"Don't do something, just stand there!".

That's a great quote. And article.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 09:25:46 AM »
Once a year, I might rebalance my asset allocation . . . and then it feels a bit funny to just step away for another 12 months. But yeah, it's comforting to know that if I traded more frequently, I'd be more likely to make things worse instead of better.

It's a much better time to be an investor. I'd hate to think what it would have been like to build a portfolio in the era before index funds, before low-cost brokerages, and under the "advice" of a smiling broker in a fancy office.

codemonkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 12:07:34 PM »
I just finished reading his book "Enough" and thought it was both well written and made some good points. 

fb132

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 12:10:54 PM »
Once a year, I might rebalance my asset allocation . . . and then it feels a bit funny to just step away for another 12 months. But yeah, it's comforting to know that if I traded more frequently, I'd be more likely to make things worse instead of better.

It's a much better time to be an investor. I'd hate to think what it would have been like to build a portfolio in the era before index funds, before low-cost brokerages, and under the "advice" of a smiling broker in a fancy office.
Just think of the 1929 crash when you didn't have Vanguard or any index funds to invest in. You were almost forced to chose your own portfolio...and it is not like you had the internet to help you out with that. In those time, you had to rely more on financial advisors.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 01:10:55 PM »
In this video about the same quote, I love the punchline at the end of the anecdote--really clever!  :D

http://time.com/money/3956351/jack-bogle-index-fund/

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 01:36:08 PM »
In this video about the same quote, I love the punchline at the end of the anecdote--really clever!  :D

http://time.com/money/3956351/jack-bogle-index-fund/

Okay, that was good.  I'm not a fan of videos, but it was just a minute, and worth it.

A good reminder of what we need to do (or not), even if we don't have that adviser.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Phenix

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 01:36:44 PM »
"The job of finance is to provide capital to companies. We do it to the tune of $250 billion a year in IPOs and secondary offerings," Bogle told Time in an interview.

"What else do we do? We encourage investors to trade about $32 trillion a year. So the way I calculate it, 99% of what we do in this industry is people trading with one another, with a gain only to the middleman. It's a waste of resources."

Great article!  I like hearing what Bogle has to say.

k9

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 02:03:25 PM »
Just think of the 1929 crash when you didn't have Vanguard or any index funds to invest in. You were almost forced to chose your own portfolio...and it is not like you had the internet to help you out with that. In those time, you had to rely more on financial advisors.
Or, you could just buy the 10 biggest stocks from dow jones. This is what Ben Graham advised in the 1950s. It has a strong correlation to what an SP500 / dow index would have produced (Yes, I know, SP500 didn't exist back then, but you get the idea).

fb132

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 06:46:41 PM »
Or, you could just buy the 10 biggest stocks from dow jones. This is what Ben Graham advised in the 1950s. It has a strong correlation to what an SP500 / dow index would have produced (Yes, I know, SP500 didn't exist back then, but you get the idea).
Wouldn't that be way expensive, for example just Netflix is around 121.15$ per share. So imagine having 10 at around 100$ on average each.

k9

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 05:25:11 AM »
Well, you can make that portfolio one company at a time.

fb132

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 05:29:26 AM »
True, but the DCA would be tough to acheive (since we would buy one company stock at either a lump sum or wait out a few months before purchasing more because you have 9 other stocks to buy before rotating back) vs what we have today with vanguard. I mean lets face it, we have it good today :P
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:32:30 AM by fb132 »

Phenix

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 06:37:57 AM »
I mean lets face it, we have it good today :P

I wish others could see how good we have it today.  Self-sufficiency is more of an option now rather than a necessity to live as it was for many back then.  What used to be life for people outside of populated areas (raising crops, killing your own animals, cooking your own food), is now lost on many people and considered a hobby by many others.

k9

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 07:14:55 AM »
True, but the DCA would be tough to acheive (since we would buy one company stock at either a lump sum or wait out a few months before purchasing more because you have 9 other stocks to buy before rotating back) vs what we have today with vanguard. I mean lets face it, we have it good today :P
It was less convenient back then, for sure. Plus, it was very expensive anyway to buy stocks. The ability for average Joe to invest in stocks as a whole today is really cool.

Vic99

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 10:23:20 AM »

I wish others could see how good we have it today.  Self-sufficiency is more of an option now rather than a necessity to live as it was for many back then.  What used to be life for people outside of populated areas (raising crops, killing your own animals, cooking your own food), is now lost on many people and considered a hobby by many others.

Exactly. I'm a school teacher and try to impart this on my kids and on my friends. I'm not sure who appreciates what I say on this less, kids or friends.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 10:08:57 AM »

Exactly. I'm a school teacher and try to impart this on my kids and on my friends. I'm not sure who appreciates what I say on this less, kids or friends.

LOL

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 12:05:38 PM »
John Bogle changed my life, a forever fan

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!