Author Topic: Is Tesla a good investment?  (Read 378018 times)

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Is Tesla a good investment?
« Reply #700 on: August 16, 2021, 02:46:11 PM »
here ye! here ye! here ye!

let it be known i bought tesla today - 100 shares at 683.11 (on today's dip) - in my roth. I had sold my VSGAX last week

I will be answering the op questions daily. silently. to myself.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #701 on: August 17, 2021, 12:14:18 PM »
Predictably, I was immediately spanked......

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #702 on: August 17, 2021, 01:18:00 PM »

I was wondering if you bought before or after the NHTSA investigation was announced...

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #703 on: August 17, 2021, 03:43:07 PM »

I was wondering if you bought before or after the NHTSA investigation was announced...

after, but apparently it had more to give up today. Not a lot of winners today at all, will see where it goes.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #704 on: August 17, 2021, 05:50:59 PM »

after, but apparently it had more to give up today. Not a lot of winners today at all, will see where it goes.

Lots of chatter today that Michael Burry, the subject of The Big Short, has opened puts on Tesla and on ARKK.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/big-short-michael-burry-tesla-stock-cathie-wood-ark-etf-2021-8

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #705 on: August 17, 2021, 06:23:37 PM »
Lots of chatter today that Michael Burry, the subject of The Big Short, has opened puts on Tesla and on ARKK.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/big-short-michael-burry-tesla-stock-cathie-wood-ark-etf-2021-8

Yeah, he has destroyed billions of investor capital over the years betting against Tesla.  Must be a hell of a salesman to explain his returns over the past 5 years. Or maybe he just spins the "I called the housing bubble! A can do that with stocks too!" angle.

ColoradoTribe

• Bristles
« Reply #706 on: August 17, 2021, 11:20:18 PM »

let it be known i bought tesla today - 100 shares at 683.11 (on today's dip) - in my roth. I had sold my VSGAX last week

Welcome aboard. Can’t say if you’ll be up or down in two days or two months, but think you’ll be pretty happy two years from now and beyond. Beyond making money the natural world needs Tesla to succeed, so take pleasure in that while we wait for the stock price to ramp up again. Bought a few more shares myself on this dip.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 10:35:04 AM by ColoradoTribe »

lemonlyman

• Bristles
« Reply #707 on: August 18, 2021, 09:56:32 AM »
Burry increased his puts to $731 million as of 6/30/21. Will be interesting to see what he did after Tesla released Q2 earnings.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #708 on: August 18, 2021, 11:15:22 AM »
Burry increased his puts to $731 million as of 6/30/21. Will be interesting to see what he did after Tesla released Q2 earnings.
That's not what he paid in option premium,  they could be atm or deep otm, we don't know.  It's weird how the media reports it.

lemonlyman

• Bristles
« Reply #709 on: August 18, 2021, 12:13:55 PM »
That's not what he paid in option premium,  they could be atm or deep otm, we don't know.  It's weird how the media reports it.

Right, it's what the value of the puts were on the 13f as of 6/30. He added in Q2. He said they were long puts. I'm interested because he said Tesla could only make a profit with credits. The puts were purchased before the Q2 earnings in July put that to bed. So I'm curious what he does now.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #710 on: August 18, 2021, 12:37:09 PM »
I wonder how deeply he really dug into the company if he bought the "only profitable with credits" narrative

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #711 on: August 18, 2021, 02:37:20 PM »

Welcome aboard. Can’t say if you’ll be up or down in two days or two months, but think you’ll be pretty happy two years from now and beyond. Beyond making money the natural world needs Tesla to succeed, so take pleasure in that while we wait for the stock price to ramp up again. Bought a few more shares myself on this dip.

Thanks for the welcome!

we are definitely at/coming up to a final crossroads, and that's why my next car is going to be a tesla. And my next roof.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 02:38:54 PM by mistymoney »

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #712 on: August 19, 2021, 07:25:39 AM »

Yeah, he has destroyed billions of investor capital over the years betting against Tesla.  Must be a hell of a salesman to explain his returns over the past 5 years. Or maybe he just spins the "I called the housing bubble! A can do that with stocks too!" angle.

Jesse Livermore shorted the great depression, and died bankrupt.

past performance is not guarantee of future results...

and all that rot....

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #713 on: August 27, 2021, 04:18:43 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/27/business/tesla-electricity/index.html

New York (CNN Business)Tesla wants to do more than sell you an electric car. It wants to start selling electricity itself — at least to some people in Texas.

It has filed with the Texas Public Utility Commission to generate electricity and sell it directly to the public. Details about its exact plans are not included in the application, and Tesla did not respond to a request for comment. But the company said in its filing it plans to sell electricity directly to consumers, with a focus on those who already own Tesla cars.
The filing was first reported by Texas Monthly.
The company best known for being the largest electric vehicle company in the world also has a solar energy unit. Most of that business is focused on installing solar panels on homes or other buildings, which are then linked to batteries, which Tesla has branded as Powerwalls, used to store excess power captured during the day to provide power at night.
But Tesla has a very low-profile business known as "Megapack" that builds very large batteries used to store utility-scale amounts of electricity. It built the first of those massive batteries in Hornsdale, Australia, in 2017, and has since expanded the product to other locations.
"Battery storage is transforming the global electric grid and is an increasingly important element of the world's transition to sustainable energy," it said in a 2019 blog post. "To match global demand for massive battery storage projects like Hornsdale, Tesla designed and engineered a new battery product specifically for utility-scale projects."

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2021/08/20/tesla-bot-humanoid-robot-lon-orig-na.cnn-business/video/playlists/business-news/

Elon Musk says Tesla is building a humanoid robot
CEO Elon Musk announced Tesla is working on a "friendly" humanoid robot. For now, he has a human in a robot suit.

interesting developments!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #714 on: August 30, 2021, 06:18:27 AM »
Indeed I work for a large, public utility, and we are also selling power onto the grid--profitably--from a large, utility scale batter that we operate in Texas.

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #715 on: August 30, 2021, 01:30:43 PM »
Indeed I work for a large, public utility, and we are also selling power onto the grid--profitably--from a large, utility scale batter that we operate in Texas.

For maximum of about 6 hours, but usually less, right? Those batteries reduce peak load, which is critical, but it's not really the answer to getting off of renewables. There isn't enough lithium in the world to use batteries as long term grid storage (10days of insufficient generation by renewables).

ColoradoTribe

• Bristles
« Reply #716 on: August 30, 2021, 07:25:35 PM »

Up $5,000 in 2 weeks. Not too shabby.

ColoradoTribe

• Bristles
« Reply #717 on: August 30, 2021, 07:41:45 PM »

For maximum of about 6 hours, but usually less, right? Those batteries reduce peak load, which is critical, but it's not really the answer to getting off of renewables. There isn't enough lithium in the world to use batteries as long term grid storage (10days of insufficient generation by renewables).

Aren’t transmission lines still going to be available to move renewable energy generation from areas where the sun is shining or wind is blowing to areas where they are not? I assume you don’t predict the wind and sun won’t cooperate for days on end over an entire region? I suspect renewable generation can be over built to provide a buffer as well. It’s not like we’ll be wasting fuel if we over build the wind farms or solar farms. I suspect that between battery backup and using transmission lines to move production around regionally, we can eventually get away from fossils fuel generation completely. Eventually everyone will also have their own emergency backup power parked in their garage (EV battery). The average EV car battery can provide multiple days of backup if used conservatively. Any one paying attention to all the extreme weather, drought, fires, etc. realizes whatever the challenges of this energy transition the current system is a road to ruin if we don’t hit the off ramp NOW.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #718 on: August 31, 2021, 08:43:17 AM »

Up $5,000 in 2 weeks. Not too shabby.

5,214.01 as of right now. :)

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #719 on: August 31, 2021, 08:48:19 AM »

Aren’t transmission lines still going to be available to move renewable energy generation from areas where the sun is shining or wind is blowing to areas where they are not? I assume you don’t predict the wind and sun won’t cooperate for days on end over an entire region? I suspect renewable generation can be over built to provide a buffer as well. It’s not like we’ll be wasting fuel if we over build the wind farms or solar farms. I suspect that between battery backup and using transmission lines to move production around regionally, we can eventually get away from fossils fuel generation completely. Eventually everyone will also have their own emergency backup power parked in their garage (EV battery). The average EV car battery can provide multiple days of backup if used conservatively. Any one paying attention to all the extreme weather, drought, fires, etc. realizes whatever the challenges of this energy transition the current system is a road to ruin if we don’t hit the off ramp NOW.

sadly, this is too true.

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #720 on: August 31, 2021, 09:13:48 AM »

Nope, that's not how the grid works.

> I suspect renewable generation can be over built to provide a buffer as well

Technically, it could... but it's only at 11% of total production right now. And that production is largely the easiest to produce (in optimal areas AND at optimal times). As renewables increase in ubiquity, we will be able to use less of them. If a solar farm is producing sun right now, 100% of it goes into the grid. If we "overbuild" it, soon there will a graduating scale of efficiency losses (transmission, batteries, etc).

Basically, it's not possible to use renewables to meet our emissions goals. We need other non-polluting methods. Namely, Nuclear.

Transmission lines get congested. Batteries degrade. Residential backup for non-critical systems for a couple of days is no where NEAR the grid stability we need on a commercial and industrial scale.

I don't have time to write all of this out... but it's more than just using transmission lines. We need to build multi billion dollar DC converters for high voltage DC transmission. The grid is incredibly complicated and not built with renewables in mind (although they are working to fix that)

There literally isn't enough lithium on the planet to provide nationwide battery storage. IF we do this on renewables+batteries alone, we will need to use something cheap like flow batteries. A large scale battery that reduces peak load for 6 hours is about the same cost as a peak gas plant. One that provides for 12 hours is twice as expensive as that same peak gas plant. And so on... a peaker gas plant that can handle production outages for 5 days is 20X cheaper than the battery equivalent. Batteries just don't scale well (especially expensive lithium ones). We need pumped hydro or thermal storage or something that reduces cost with scale.

Battery backup providing 15kWh to a house is nothing. What do you do for a food production facility that needs 150,000kWh to run? Install 5000 power walls? What if that facility needs 2 days of full power (not "conservative usage") Now you install 10,000 power walls? A facility isn't going to spent 75million on batteries that can only last two days. Either personally or on the grid.

I say all of this because I think we are chasing the wrong pot of gold here. I want the grid to be carbon free... and we're using the treasures of low hanging "renewable" fruit too much it will get harder and harder to use as it scales on the grid (contrary to many things in the market).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 09:18:06 AM by StashingAway »

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #721 on: September 01, 2021, 03:00:32 PM »

No… In Germany where I live we have more than 100% renewable energy, because we have a lot of wind. The area here is mainly agricultural and animal farming. We don‘t have the power lines to transmit energy from here just 500 miles south where all the industries are which is why we take a lot of wind turbines offline. I participated in a study that tried to find out how to at least motivate people to use power when wind power is available, but two years later I still do not see any result of that study.

ColoradoTribe

• Bristles
« Reply #722 on: October 15, 2021, 08:41:23 AM »
If anyone is interested in a deep dive on projected Tesla Q3 financials. Looking like another record setter. And this before a car has rolled off the Berlin or Austin lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UieeGa82kLw&t=1930s

ColoradoTribe

• Bristles
« Reply #723 on: October 15, 2021, 09:09:41 AM »
A few points that encapsulate Tesla's valuation relative to legacy autos.

Tesla total gross margin for 2021 will be in the neighborhood of 25%. Ford’s total gross margin for 2020 was 10%.
Tesla sales are increasing at an average rate of 50% yoy. Legacy auto sales are stagnant to declining YOY.
Tesla is 100% EV and by this time next year will have 4 factories dedicated exclusively to cranking out EVs. Legacy auto will still be trying to balance ICE production and a transition to EVs. Placing billions into new EV infrastructure, battery procurement, and supply chain, while simultaneously trying to not strand their ICE infrastructure.

Anyone focusing on the number of vehicles sold currently to justify Tesla’s valuation relative to legacy auto is missing or ignoring the yoy growth and increasing margins, which is the real driver behind Tesla’s valuation. That's before you even start to consider software as a service, insurance, FSD, solar roof, energy storage and grid services.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #724 on: October 15, 2021, 09:46:09 AM »
What software does Tesla sell as a service?  (Do they sell non-EV software?)

Tesla responded to the chip shortage by buying slightly different chips, and adapting the firmware those chips use to interact with the car.  So they should definitely come out ahead of Ford, who had worse chip problems than most automakers.

Looks like everyone will know more next week.

https://ir.tesla.com/press
"AUSTIN, Texas, October 8, 2021 – Tesla will post its financial results for the third quarter of 2021 after market close on Wednesday, October 20, 2021."

lemonlyman

• Bristles
« Reply #725 on: October 15, 2021, 10:27:45 AM »

You can buy FSD for $199/month instead of $10k for unlimited access.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #726 on: October 15, 2021, 11:35:07 AM »
If anyone is interested in a deep dive on projected Tesla Q3 financials. Looking like another record setter. And this before a car has rolled off the Berlin or Austin lines.

Side note: No production/sellable cars have come off the lines as far as we know. Pilot cars have definitely come off the Austin line, possibly Berlin as well. Part of the process of tuning the assembly line.

ColoradoTribe

• Bristles
« Reply #727 on: October 15, 2021, 02:09:17 PM »

Tesla has also sold an over-the-air software update, "Acceleration Boost" for $2,000. Likely to be infotainment offerings in the future as well.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #728 on: October 15, 2021, 03:17:22 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UieeGa82kLw&t=1930s

i may be too frightened to look! I'm up over 15k on my buy. It's tought not to throw a whole lot more money into it.

People keep saying it's too late to cash in on tesla.....but.....I'm up 23% in 2 months. S&P is flat over same time period.....and that is including tesla in the mix!! yikes.

Can I please go back in time and add more :)

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #729 on: October 15, 2021, 03:33:53 PM »
I looked!

not too frightening, except speculation about tesla possibly becoming the biggest company in the world.

well then! I'll have to think on that!!

theoverlook

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #731 on: October 18, 2021, 07:34:22 AM »
$10,000 invested when this thread started would now be $134,287 now. I'm thinking the answer to the OPs question is yes.

I still don't own any outside of VTSAX, sadly. No plans to either.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #733 on: October 20, 2021, 02:25:21 PM »
earning release in about an hour? 4:30 ET?

What will it say.......

Niceday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #734 on: October 21, 2021, 10:19:27 PM »

Tesla has also sold an over-the-air software update, "Acceleration Boost" for $2,000. Likely to be infotainment offerings in the future as well.

Also $10/month for premium connectivity.  All these add up.  More will come.

Tesla has not really put too much focus on its energy storage business yet.  The insurance business will grow and will add to their cash flow.

It's not too late to invest in Tesla.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 10:21:23 PM by Niceday »

ColoradoTribe

• Bristles
« Reply #735 on: October 22, 2021, 08:48:54 AM »
Stock currently trading at intraday all-time high (~$909).

ColoradoTribe

• Bristles
« Reply #736 on: October 25, 2021, 08:39:51 AM »
Tesla SP set new intraday high-water mark this morning ($979) on news that Hertz has placed order for 100,000 Tesla EVs. That represents 1/4 of their rental fleet. Tesla passes FB in valuation for the moment.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #737 on: October 25, 2021, 08:52:17 AM »
Tesla passes FB in valuation for the moment.

This is the best thing I've heard today. I don't own any Tesla (or FB) outside of index funds but if there were ever two companies that were more diametrically different in social impact and actual usefulness, I can't think of them.

-W

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #738 on: October 25, 2021, 09:16:27 AM »
Stock currently trading at intraday all-time high (~$909).

909? such old news!!

MinorMiner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #739 on: October 25, 2021, 11:06:51 AM »
Data point for everyone: Yesterday morning my model 3 drove me across Anchorage, Alaska all on it's own. Turns, stoplights, roundabouts, the whole deal. Tesla is rolling out autonomy to the masses. Be ready.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #740 on: October 25, 2021, 05:48:41 PM »
Tesla SP set new intraday high-water mark this morning ($979) on news that Hertz has placed order for 100,000 Tesla EVs. That represents 1/4 of their rental fleet. Tesla passes FB in valuation for the moment.

Not bad for a company that was going through bankruptcy six months ago.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #741 on: October 28, 2021, 06:11:17 AM »
$10,000 invested when this thread started would now be $134,287 now. I'm thinking the answer to the OPs question is yes.

I still don't own any outside of VTSAX, sadly. No plans to either.

The past has gone very well for $TSLA. Would that there were no risk in the present.

soulpatchmike

• Stubble
« Reply #742 on: October 28, 2021, 10:20:15 AM »
>$200/share(>20%) increase in price in the past 7 days, when will it stop!

Just read through the first page of this thread...Pretty amazing difference between the content of posts before the first profitable quarter and after 9 consecutive profitable quarters.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #743 on: October 28, 2021, 04:33:16 PM »
>$200/share(>20%) increase in price in the past 7 days, when will it stop!

Just read through the first page of this thread...Pretty amazing difference between the content of posts before the first profitable quarter and after 9 consecutive profitable quarters.

I think I read through it before, but I did it again just now to see what you referred to. When I first started reading this thread - I'd say a lot of the sentiments were the same. Every advance was discounted, the leaf, value too high, and then the moaning about tesla being inducted into the sp500, the bellyaching!

Glad I decided at last to jump on the tesla train. up over 50% in just a few months.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #744 on: October 28, 2021, 05:06:18 PM »
so - I guess the big question is what's the next tesla coming down the road (punny!), and how will we recognize it?

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #745 on: October 28, 2021, 10:00:54 PM »
I've made a 3,500% return on TSLA. I feel like that's a sign I should cash in, but its only 3.8% of my portfolio. What do you all think? I guess at this point I'm never going to lose money, so maybe just hold it until I need money (or forever and give it to my kid?).

I raise this question only because I'm not sure where something goes from an investment to speculation...I honestly don't think the company is worth 1 Trillion, but what do I know?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 10:20:39 PM by Abe »

ColoradoTribe

• Bristles
« Reply #746 on: October 28, 2021, 10:42:55 PM »
I've made a 3,500% return on TSLA. I feel like that's a sign I should cash in, but its only 3.8% of my portfolio. What do you all think? I guess at this point I'm never going to lose money, so maybe just hold it until I need money (or forever and give it to my kid?).

I raise this question only because I'm not sure where something goes from an investment to speculation...I honestly don't think the company is worth 1 Trillion, but what do I know?

Tesla is a maturing company. Tesla as an investment has never been less risky or speculative. Demand is on the rise, margins are increasing, new models are on the horizon, two new factories will start production in the next 1-3 months. The energy storage and grid services side of the business is just getting started. FSD is more speculative, but could be massively profitable if solved fully. I personally won’t be shedding any of my shares in the next 2-3 years at least.

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #747 on: October 29, 2021, 06:55:27 AM »

Tesla is a maturing company. Tesla as an investment has never been less risky or speculative. Demand is on the rise, margins are increasing, new models are on the horizon, two new factories will start production in the next 1-3 months. The energy storage and grid services side of the business is just getting started. FSD is more speculative, but could be massively profitable if solved fully. I personally won’t be shedding any of my shares in the next 2-3 years at least.

JFC I'll cut off my own nose to spite my face with the crystal clear fanboyism here.

I love Colorado and I'm a fan of Tesla but your tone makes me despise both of them. I didn't leave my religion to be preached that Tesla can do No Wrong.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 06:59:50 AM by StashingAway »

soulpatchmike

• Stubble
« Reply #748 on: October 29, 2021, 07:21:18 AM »

I am in a similar boat at a little over 2000%.  I cashed out my original investment pre-split and now I figure that the investment is all profit anyways...so let er ride!

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #749 on: October 29, 2021, 10:32:44 AM »
Tesla is a maturing company. Tesla as an investment has never been less risky or speculative.

TSLA has a PE ratio of 354 compared to 7 at GM. GM will release 12 electric models in the coming months, and have 20 by 2023.