Author Topic: Is Tesla a good investment?  (Read 119534 times)

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
Re: Is Tesla a good investment?
« Reply #850 on: November 16, 2021, 08:31:08 AM »
Pre-paying toward a Tesla by building savings in Bitcoin seemed like a reasonable strategy to me.

ColoradoTribe

• Stubble
« Reply #851 on: November 22, 2021, 08:59:33 AM »
Lengthy podcast discussion of Tesla’s position relative to other auto makers and valuation. Well worth a watch if considering or holding Tesla stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln2czFNI6mk

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #852 on: November 22, 2021, 11:06:29 AM »
Lengthy podcast discussion of Tesla’s position relative to other auto makers and valuation. Well worth a watch if considering or holding Tesla stock.

90 minutes long? Is there a clifts note version?

ChpBstrd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #853 on: November 22, 2021, 11:09:24 AM »

90 minutes long? Is there a clifts note version?

If you want the information (in this case, a YouTuber's opinion), you have to watch 20 minutes of ads. It's not like there's a 10k form or something.

soulpatchmike

• Stubble
« Reply #854 on: November 22, 2021, 11:21:26 AM »
Comparing Tesla to other automakers is like comparing Amazon to Barns and Noble back in 2005 when they launched Amazon Prime and had started selling things other than books and AWS was in its infancy.

Tesla:
Cars, SUVs, Energy Storage, Charging infrastructure, Energy generation(solar), Self-driving, AI humanoid robot development, light duty trucks, local travel semis, robo-taxi most of these segments are in their infancy or yet to be launched.

Any other non-startup vehicle manufacturer:
Cars, Trucks, SUVs...some might be working on self-driving, but none are working on charging infrastructure or energy generation or energy storage or AI or local travel semi's AFAIK.

Apples and oranges.  Long investors are not worried about Tesla becoming the highest volume production car manufacturer out there.  They have already proven that they can make significantly more profit per vehicle than traditional auto suppliers.  They don't need to be the highest volume auto manufacturer, but they do need to be top 5 in all of their segments(once they become commercially viable) to continue the growth expectation of each of these segments and make the crazy valuation catch up and continue their growth path.

Rockefeller made his money from oil sold to consumers for home lighting.  When electricity came along and threatened his business model, he ended up using the waste from the lighting oil refining process to make gasoline for the internal combustion engine.  Musk has learned to branch out to adjacent industry segments a bit faster...

MinorMiner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #855 on: November 22, 2021, 09:13:52 PM »

I watched this and thought I should post it here... looks like you beat me to it!

I agree that this is good information. As far as length, the fact of the matter is that there is a lot of nuance to the Tesla story. Nuance takes time to convey.

As a side rant:

If you want the information (in this case, a YouTuber's opinion), you have to watch 20 minutes of ads. It's not like there's a 10k form or something.

Digital ad spend in USA in 2020=$137 billion
Population of USA = 330 million
Ad spend per capita = $455

They wouldn't be spending that money if there wasn't a return on it.

Please use protection.

Ad Block for Youtube

« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 09:20:01 PM by MinorMiner »

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #856 on: November 23, 2021, 01:31:52 PM »
welp tsla sure took a dive today!

I'm up less than 60% now!

lemonlyman

• Stubble
« Reply #857 on: January 02, 2022, 09:30:46 AM »
Monster beat with Q4 deliveries representing ~$3 billion more in revenue higher than analysts expected. 934k deliveries for 2021. Q4 will be a massive + to cash flow.

I took delivery of a Model Y a couple of weeks ago. Great product. Things still look good going forward to me for the company.

MinorMiner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #858 on: January 02, 2022, 01:56:09 PM »
Beta 10.8 is pretty darn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNX89uqly6U

It's starting to work on 100% snow covered streets (My experience, not this video).

There was an interesting quote on a recent podcast with Elon Musk/Lex Fridman that if the current trend of Tesla's self driving safety continues on it's current rate of improvement, it will match that of the average human by the end of this year.

I know the idea of self driving cars sounds crazy... But so did supersonic flight in 1946. Allow your imagination to run wild with the possibilities of electric autonomous RV's for 15 minutes. Fall asleep in Cincinnati on Friday night, have Saturday brunch in Tallahassee, go diving at Ginnie springs after lunch. Spend the night there, dive all day Sunday. Be back to work tanned and rested on Monday morning.

I'm just as frugal as the rest of you, but man...  I can see spending $1000 a month to have that capability... Think what the spendy pants among us would be willing to part with...

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #859 on: January 03, 2022, 02:19:46 PM »
the future is coming up fast upon us! And Tesla may well lead the way on a lot of it.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #860 on: January 04, 2022, 03:21:25 PM »
On the other hand, did hear that South Korean couples are gifting tesla stocks.

That seems really odd to me!

Made me think of tulips.....

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #861 on: January 05, 2022, 04:30:37 AM »

Crazy as it may be, damn that's some good brand awareness for a company that doesn't advertise.

ColoradoTribe

• Stubble
« Reply #862 on: January 06, 2022, 02:43:39 PM »

Crazy as it may be, damn that's some good brand awareness for a company that doesn't advertise.

Gifted each of my kids a Tesla share for Christmas 2020. They can’t cash it in until their 16th birthday (at earliest). Good lesson in market volatility and learning to ignore short term swings, up or down. They’ve stopped asking if they can sell, so I think its sinking in or they just capitulated.