Author Topic: Is Tesla a good investment?  (Read 386211 times)

soulpatchmike

• Stubble
Re: Is Tesla a good investment?
« Reply #1000 on: June 03, 2022, 09:10:07 AM »

PDXTabs - If Tesla gets self-driving first, do their prior schedule mistakes matter?  I think Tesla gets there first, especially with the simpler task of driving between cities.  If their schedule problems put them behind an existing leader, that would be different.

There is also the question of whether or not it happens at all. Its been a year out for... 7 years now? And predicted for the last 80 years. It looks like they're close to me, but I don't feel like I have the knowledge to judge how close we are

Currently, all FSD-enabled Teslas drive from exit to exit on freeways without intervention, drivers could sleep between stops today if unattended FSD was approved for freeway use.  Tesla FSD beta has ~100k users currently that are monitoring the self-driving features on any mapped road in the US and a number of them post videos of each new release.  If you have insomnia check a couple out on youtube and it will put you right to sleep.  They are collecting millions and millions of miles of testing/training data.

It is not about being done in a specific timeline, it is about acceptable risk.  I would argue that as of today, the FSD beta is as good as a human driver on average on any road in the US.  What I mean is that in some cases it is worse than a human and in other cases it is better than a human.  However, to be accepted by unbelievers, as Tesla has stated, it needs to be a minimum of 10 times better than a human driver at a minimum before a broad launch without oversight is pursued.  This is measured by accidents/disengagments per million miles.

Whether unattended approval is one or five years away matters not, they will be the safest and most accepted self-driving solution out there.  No other self-driving company has a fraction of the number of driving mile dataset as Tesla.

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1001 on: June 03, 2022, 01:52:19 PM »

PDXTabs - If Tesla gets self-driving first, do their prior schedule mistakes matter?  I think Tesla gets there first, especially with the simpler task of driving between cities.  If their schedule problems put them behind an existing leader, that would be different.

There is also the question of whether or not it happens at all. Its been a year out for... 7 years now? And predicted for the last 80 years. It looks like they're close to me, but I don't feel like I have the knowledge to judge how close we are

Currently, all FSD-enabled Teslas drive from exit to exit on freeways without intervention, drivers could sleep between stops today if unattended FSD was approved for freeway use.  Tesla FSD beta has ~100k users currently that are monitoring the self-driving features on any mapped road in the US and a number of them post videos of each new release.  If you have insomnia check a couple out on youtube and it will put you right to sleep.  They are collecting millions and millions of miles of testing/training data.

It is not about being done in a specific timeline, it is about acceptable risk.  I would argue that as of today, the FSD beta is as good as a human driver on average on any road in the US.  What I mean is that in some cases it is worse than a human and in other cases it is better than a human.  However, to be accepted by unbelievers, as Tesla has stated, it needs to be a minimum of 10 times better than a human driver at a minimum before a broad launch without oversight is pursued.  This is measured by accidents/disengagments per million miles.

Whether unattended approval is one or five years away matters not, they will be the safest and most accepted self-driving solution out there.  No other self-driving company has a fraction of the number of driving mile dataset as Tesla.

Fair enough. It's no secret from this thread that I'm a skeptic; I just have heard this rhetoric for the last 5 years ("It's just around the corner!"). I am impressed with what Beta can do... and what Tesla has done for EV interest in general. I am just wary of the claims that Elon has made (It wasn't Tesla that said 10x better, it was Elon), as well as the confidence that first mover advantage indeed is a winner take all in this market. Tesla has a lot going for them, but their roadmap and valuation seem to neglect unforeseen roadblocks.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1002 on: June 03, 2022, 01:55:16 PM »

My bet is still on Waymo.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #1003 on: June 03, 2022, 02:16:25 PM »
Suppose Tesla (or Waymo) develops FSD. How much would it cost to add this to a vehicle?

In theory, once the software is developed, it can be copied infinite times at a cost of near-nothing. In terms of hardware, you need some fast chips ($100?), a bunch of sensors ($1,000?), some wiring harnesses ($100?), and labor to install all of the above ($200?). All the remaining hardware are parts of the car that already exist such as cruise control, software-controlled braking, and electric steering control functions.

So after profit margin and an allowance for liability, I think this could be a $3,500 option once the market for FSD is mature, and it could cost the car companies maybe $2,000 per car.

So... "Is Tesla a good investment" if they are first to develop FSD and monopolize the market for, let's generously say 5 years? Let's ask what kind of profit margin and sales volumes they can get on these systems that cost $2k per car. I bet they could sell the FSD option for $10k per car in the first and second years, declining to $9k, $8k, $7k, and $6k in subsequent years until competitors drive the price down to $3,500. Now you can multiply those numbers by the number of cars sold, which is anybody's guess. If FSD debuts during a recession, most people will say "I'm happy to drive myself around if it saves ten grand" but in a boom time this could be a cultural phenomenon. If they sell a million FSD systems for an average profit of $5k in a year, that's $5B in profit.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1004 on: June 03, 2022, 04:02:56 PM »
Suppose Tesla (or Waymo) develops FSD. How much would it cost to add this to a vehicle?

In theory, once the software is developed, it can be copied infinite times at a cost of near-nothing. In terms of hardware, you need some fast chips ($100?), a bunch of sensors ($1,000?), some wiring harnesses ($100?), and labor to install all of the above ($200?). All the remaining hardware are parts of the car that already exist such as cruise control, software-controlled braking, and electric steering control functions.

Waymo is spending more on sensor hardware than Tesla, which is one of the reasons I'm betting on Waymo solving the problem before Tesla. This works for Waymo because they have a different business model. I don't know how low they can get it but right now they have stated publicly that they got their LiDAR sensor package down to $7,500. That's $7,500 for one of the sensors in their multi sensor suite. That doesn't include any of the very fast chips that they need to integrate and make sense of the data.

But those chips can be optimized too* (for many millions of dollars of R&D).

* - only to a point, but anything that they can find custom ASIC designs for can get cheap fast

EDITed to add that NVIDIA is in the self driving car chip game. Have you priced a top of the line NVIDIA video card lately? https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/self-driving-cars/
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 04:07:48 PM by PDXTabs »

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1005 on: June 07, 2022, 04:14:41 AM »
If the cars are tied with humans now, that's a really bad sign for consumer self driving cars.  The problem is that each gain becomes exponentially harder.  Staying between two lines is much simpler than knowing the thing behind a moving umbrella is probably a person with their lower half blocked by a parked car.  Human knowledge about our environment becomes a larger and larger factor in the unusual cases, and the AI needs to cover all those cases better than a human driver.  Not easy.  I believe Elon Musk has said each change gets exponentially harder in an interview.

Poking around, Waymo has about 2,800 employees while Tesla had 300 employees working on self-driving cars a couple years ago.
https://rocketreach.co/waymo-profile_b4d73d2bf9af6ce8
https://chargedevs.com/newswire/tesla-has-a-huge-team-of-jedi-engineers-working-on-autopilot/

While I haven't researched Waymo in detail, the comment in this thread plus the huge gap in employee count suggests Waymo will finish first.  So I stand corrected - Tesla is probably in trouble when it comes to self-driving software compared to Waymo.  The competitive picture also favors Waymo's success - Tesla is the clear leader in EV cars, which means competitors need to find an advantage.  Too bad we can't invest separately in Waymo (it's part of GOOG).

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1006 on: June 09, 2022, 07:24:34 AM »
If the cars are tied with humans now, that's a really bad sign for consumer self driving cars.  The problem is that each gain becomes exponentially harder.  Staying between two lines is much simpler than knowing the thing behind a moving umbrella is probably a person with their lower half blocked by a parked car.  Human knowledge about our environment becomes a larger and larger factor in the unusual cases, and the AI needs to cover all those cases better than a human driver.  Not easy.  I believe Elon Musk has said each change gets exponentially harder in an interview.

I personally think this might be the big wild card. A poor metaphor is nuclear fusion; from what we've seen, we think it can be done, and have initial results that make it seem like we just have a couple of quirks to work out before it hits the prime time. After all, we did it with fission, and Elon certainly has had results of doing the improbable with spacex, so we think we can predict the technological advancement. But in reality we don't really have any idea of how long it will take, if it will happen at all. We've been predicting it since the 60's (both fission and self driving)...

Xlar

• Bristles
« Reply #1007 on: June 10, 2022, 12:57:43 PM »

Only if you're okay with the fact that your "Full Self Driving" Tesla won't stop or alert you for stopped vehicles even if they are fire trucks... https://www.thedrive.com/tech/tesla-nearing-recall-for-autopilot-as-feds-escalate-investigation

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1008 on: June 10, 2022, 01:00:35 PM »

I personally think this might be the big wild card. A poor metaphor is nuclear fusion; from what we've seen, we think it can be done, and have initial results that make it seem like we just have a couple of quirks to work out before it hits the prime time. After all, we did it with fission, and Elon certainly has had results of doing the improbable with spacex, so we think we can predict the technological advancement. But in reality we don't really have any idea of how long it will take, if it will happen at all. We've been predicting it since the 60's (both fission and self driving)...

I would add that being first and being profitable aren't the same thing. During the .com bubble a ton of money was spent laying fiber. That fiber has been incredibly good for society but not for the investors that paid for it.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1009 on: June 10, 2022, 01:10:44 PM »
Unfortunately for Tesla investors in this thread, I think this wild card favors Waymo over Tesla.  The problem of AI driving a car is difficult - exponentially more difficult as you approach and pass up the skill of a human driver.  That's roughly where the cutting edge is now.  And from here, Waymo has an order of magnitude more software engineers working on it.

Google Maps contains lots of valuable driving data which Waymo could use.  Gmail offers semantic corrections which are usually right.  Google Translate can split up languages that have no word breaks.  There's a lot of interesting adjacent work that Google seems to already have as a starting point... and then you add 10x more software engineers.  So my guess is Waymo reaches full self-driving before Tesla.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1010 on: June 10, 2022, 01:35:53 PM »
I drive a Tesla and have the "autopilot" on it - my car is a 2015 vintage. Not entirely sure the last time I used it, but my guess is around 3 years ago. The feature is - at least in the state I have it - utterly useless and it's hard to any other reason for the hype that came with it than it was Elon Musk who uttered it. New models have a quite steeply priced option for "self driving capabilities" that you can add to the order. If I were to order a new Tesla now, I think I'd rather spend the money on radioctive waste or sth similar. Luckily, what I have was standard at the time and I didnt fork out any extra money for it.

Even if Tesla did fingure this out (unlikely imo) the legislation around it is nowhere near and that wont be in place until the life expectancy of the car is over.

I do use the adaptive cruise control a bit. Even that is a bit so-so from time to time and it most def ain't cutting edge in tech as its a pretty standard feature in cars.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1011 on: June 17, 2022, 09:12:49 AM »
It's interesting to see the love for WAYMO here. Alphabet owns them, and they also have a stake in SpaceX, so you can be short-and long- Elon in the same play.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1012 on: June 17, 2022, 11:03:23 AM »
It's interesting to see the love for WAYMO here. Alphabet owns them, and they also have a stake in SpaceX, so you can be short-and long- Elon in the same play.
^ THAT is hilarious.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1013 on: June 20, 2022, 12:21:47 PM »
I did it, by the way, picked up a share of $GOOG, and would love to add more before they execute their split.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1014 on: June 21, 2022, 10:13:20 AM »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1015 on: June 21, 2022, 12:55:46 PM »
Really counting on that labor market staying strong there, eh?

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1017 on: June 22, 2022, 08:51:52 AM »
Many companies have CEOs with children across several relationships, shouldn't be a tremendous distraction for him.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1018 on: June 22, 2022, 11:04:42 AM »

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1019 on: June 23, 2022, 08:22:02 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/21/business/elon-musk-child-files-to-change-name-gender/index.html

tough to be musk today.

Must you actually file something with a court to change gender?

yes - it impacts passport, dr. license, lots of legal implications.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1020 on: June 23, 2022, 08:24:08 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/21/business/elon-musk-child-files-to-change-name-gender/index.html

tough to be musk today.

All of those say "sex" for me... not gender

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1021 on: June 23, 2022, 12:32:14 PM »

tough to be musk today.

All of those say "sex" for me... not gender

It could be a problem with the journalist's choice of words.

Back To Tesla...It looks like supply chain problems have caught up with Tesla with Musk even mentioning the "b" word. Shanghai production will be very low this quarter, which means Europe sales will be low. Austin production is practically non-existent and Berlin is 1000 cars/week, leaving Fremont as the only serious manufacturing plant.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1022 on: June 23, 2022, 12:34:33 PM »
Back To Tesla...It looks like supply chain problems have caught up with Tesla with Musk even mentioning the "b" word. Shanghai production will be very low this quarter, which means Europe sales will be low. Austin production is practically non-existent and Berlin is 1000 cars/week, leaving Fremont as the only serious manufacturing plant.

Yup, it appears that he has managed to build "gigantic money furnaces."

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1023 on: June 28, 2022, 12:23:02 PM »
Edward Niedermeyer who wrote Ludicrous: The Unvarnished Story of Tesla Motors was recently interviewed by The War on Cars. His book came out in 2019 but we still don't have full self driving. A lot of the interview is related to our recent discussion here about the lack of hardware in Teslas for level 4/5 autonomous driving.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 12:26:34 PM by PDXTabs »

soulpatchmike

• Stubble
« Reply #1024 on: June 28, 2022, 01:53:48 PM »
A lot of the interview is related to our recent discussion here about the lack of hardware in Teslas for level 4/5 autonomous driving.
I am curious if Edward is right or if Tesla is right.  They spent a significant amount of time talking about Autopilot/FSD and crashing dangers.  The data Tesla and NHTSA is reporting says that the Tesla is safer than other drivers/vehicles per mile drive and this guy is saying otherwise without any empirical data to back up his opinion.

https://www.tesla.com/ns_videos/2021-tesla-impact-report.pdf
see page 85

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1025 on: June 28, 2022, 03:12:44 PM »
Well - aside from the autonomous driving issue, how is the WH focus on subsidizing cars from unionized companies going to impact Tesla sales? Seems it could alot. However, ran across this piece, dated June 2022:

https://www.voltequity.com/post/the-clean-energy-for-america-act-and-its-potential-impact-on-tesla

"The Clean Energy Act for America would have a positive impact on Tesla by making most Tesla cars eligible for an $8,000 (House version) or $10,000 (Senate version) refundable tax credit and handicapping Chinese EVs from entering the US market. However, Tesla does not employ unionized labor, so Tesla would be ineligible for an additional $2,500 (Senate version) or $4,500 (House version) credit that companies such as Ford and GM would gain."

So where is all this going? and how will it impact sales for Tesla and other company EVs?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1026 on: June 28, 2022, 03:38:00 PM »
A lot of the interview is related to our recent discussion here about the lack of hardware in Teslas for level 4/5 autonomous driving.
I am curious if Edward is right or if Tesla is right.  They spent a significant amount of time talking about Autopilot/FSD and crashing dangers.  The data Tesla and NHTSA is reporting says that the Tesla is safer than other drivers/vehicles per mile drive and this guy is saying otherwise without any empirical data to back up his opinion.

see page 85

Shouldn't Tesla be comparing passenger cars to passenger cars? The "Total US Vehicle Fleet" includes motorcycles, for example, and 14% of traffic fatalities were from motorcyclists in 2020.

Quote from: https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/facts-statistics-motorcycle-crashes
In 2019, motorcyclists were nearly 29 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a crash per vehicle miles traveled.

This is an old CSM article but it appears that Tesla hasn't modified its data reporting.

Quote from: https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/In-Gear/2016/1014/How-safe-is-Tesla-Autopilot-A-look-at-the-statistics
This traffic fatality number from the agency, however, happens to include bicycles, motorcycles, pedestrians, 18-wheelers and buses.

In fact, only 36 percent of the “traffic fatalities” listed by NHTSA in 2015 were occupants of passenger cars. (Another 28 percent were classified as light trucks, most of them presumably SUVs and pick-ups.)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 03:41:56 PM by bacchi »

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1027 on: June 28, 2022, 03:40:15 PM »

see page 85

Given the news from June 2022 of Tesla deactivating autopilot right before crashes I don't trust anything that Telsa tells me anymore. This is in part because I almost put money down on a Model 3 for the promise of self driving that never came. They're just liars. I wouldn't buy their stock and I wouldn't buy their cars.

EDITed to add: "You have the choice of the supercharger which is and will always be free or you have the choice of a battery pack swap." - Elon Musk 2013 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5V0vL3nnHY

EDIT2 for some more times that Tesla said stuff was coming that wasn't. C&D: Elon Musk Makes Fresh Claim about Tesla Robotaxi, Saying Production to Start by 2024 At this rate GM might beat Tesla to level 5 autonomous driving.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 05:47:22 PM by PDXTabs »

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1028 on: June 29, 2022, 07:40:19 AM »

see page 85

Given the news from June 2022 of Tesla deactivating autopilot right before crashes I don't trust anything that Telsa tells me anymore. This is in part because I almost put money down on a Model 3 for the promise of self driving that never came. They're just liars. I wouldn't buy their stock and I wouldn't buy their cars.

EDITed to add: "You have the choice of the supercharger which is and will always be free or you have the choice of a battery pack swap." - Elon Musk 2013 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5V0vL3nnHY

EDIT2 for some more times that Tesla said stuff was coming that wasn't. C&D: Elon Musk Makes Fresh Claim about Tesla Robotaxi, Saying Production to Start by 2024 At this rate GM might beat Tesla to level 5 autonomous driving.

There is a political lesson buried in these anecdotes:

We prefer bold liars to people who make realistic promises.

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #1029 on: June 29, 2022, 12:49:25 PM »

Hear! hear!

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1030 on: June 29, 2022, 01:06:29 PM »

Hear! hear!

Yes. But if you make too many false promises in front of investors you go to prison a la Elizabeth Holmes.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1031 on: June 29, 2022, 06:35:05 PM »
I'm sure that all of his planning is this good. Techspot: Employees return to Tesla following Elon Musk's demands, find there are not enough desks or parking spaces. "The company wasn't prepared for so many people returning at once."

soulpatchmike

• Stubble
« Reply #1032 on: June 30, 2022, 08:17:13 AM »
According to the NHTSA chief Steven Cliff Tesla has had 400 crashes reported(including non-police reported) on its fleet in the past 11 months against their ~830k vehicles on US roads or said another way 0.052%(annualized) of Tesla vehicles had a crash vs. 5.2M police reported crashes in 2020(per NHTSA page 5-not including parking lot bumps) against ~276M vehicles registered on the road in 2020(per statista) or roughly 1.8% of vehicles on the road crashed.

Here is an excerpt of the article NHTSA Chief pledges to scrutinize driver-assist systems like Tesla Autopilot:

Vehicles with automated driver-assist systems were involved in almost 400 crashes from July 2021 to May 2022. While this may seem like a substantial number, however, it is but a small fraction of the accidents that happened on US roads last year. In 2021 alone, the NHTSA estimated that about 43,000 were killed on the road, the highest figure in 16 years.

In an interview, Cliff was quick to point out that while Tesla accounts for the lion’s share of crashes involving vehicles equipped with automated driver-assist systems, the company also has its driver-assist system on nearly all of its roughly 830,000 cars on US roads. This, together with the fact that Tesla provides near instantaneous wireless reporting of crashes, makes it quite difficult to compare the company’s results with other automakers.

The NHTSA has initiated a number of probes into Teslas since Cliff’s arrival. That being said, Cliff pointed out that Tesla has been cooperative since his arrival at the agency. The new NHTSA chief noted that Tesla is quite proactive, and the agency’s relationship with the automaker has been good.

“I think we work well with them. And when we have identified that there are risks, they’ve taken action, and that’s appropriate,” Cliff said.

ColoradoTribe

• Bristles
« Reply #1033 on: July 25, 2022, 04:16:45 PM »
A lot of discussion on this thread a year to two back regarding Tesla’s PE ratio. The bearish folks derided Tesla as a bad investment because it’s PE ratio was running as high as 1,400 at its worst. The bullish folks pointed out PE ratios are a rather worthless metric for a growth company that’s engaged in a capital intensive industry, growing 50% YOY, and redeploying profits to fund rapid growth and capture market share. Fast forward to today and Tesla has paid off nearly all long-term debt, is sitting on nearly 20 billion in cash, is still growing 50% YOY, and has a PE ratio right around 100. Pretty much unheard of for a company in this phase of its growth trajectory to have a PE ratio below 100. Consider that this drop in PE occurred over the same time period that Tesla has built, staffed, and opened two new factories. Tesla financials are about to take off again on the next leg up as these factories rapidly ramp over the next 6-9 months while maintaining 30% plus auto margins. The current stock price represents a bargain given what is just around the bend. Not advice, your mileage may vary, but consider the stock price is currently sitting at the same level as it was when Tesla’s PE ratio was ~1400.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1034 on: July 25, 2022, 08:25:48 PM »
A lot of discussion on this thread a year to two back regarding Tesla’s PE ratio. The bearish folks derided Tesla as a bad investment because it’s PE ratio was running as high as 1,400 at its worst. The bullish folks pointed out PE ratios are a rather worthless metric for a growth company that’s engaged in a capital intensive industry, growing 50% YOY, and redeploying profits to fund rapid growth and capture market share. Fast forward to today and Tesla has paid off nearly all long-term debt, is sitting on nearly 20 billion in cash, is still growing 50% YOY, and has a PE ratio right around 100. Pretty much unheard of for a company in this phase of its growth trajectory to have a PE ratio below 100. Consider that this drop in PE occurred over the same time period that Tesla has built, staffed, and opened two new factories. Tesla financials are about to take off again on the next leg up as these factories rapidly ramp over the next 6-9 months while maintaining 30% plus auto margins. The current stock price represents a bargain given what is just around the bend. Not advice, your mileage may vary, but consider the stock price is currently sitting at the same level as it was when Tesla’s PE ratio was ~1400.

On the flip side, Tesla still doesn't offer full-self-driving-cars, economical solar roof shingles, the "cybertruck", or a $40k BEV. They managed to succeed despite all these product/promise failures because they got access to cheap capital, because management managed to rein in Musk's impulsiveness, and because they persuaded lots of people to pay them enormous margins. There were plenty of unfulfilled promises two years ago too. The critics, me included, saw the lies / hype and figured that profitability and scale would be a lie too.

There were lots of "environmental" companies that were smoke screens for the preceding 20 years, and Tesla ten years ago seemed to fit right into that template. Anyone who bought many of the solar, geothermal, hydrogen fuel cell, etc. companies back then was generally wiped out, as the industry was full of fake products and companies that were little more than empty shells of promises.

soulpatchmike

• Stubble
« Reply #1035 on: July 26, 2022, 11:02:42 AM »

On the flip side, Tesla still doesn't offer full-self-driving-cars, economical solar roof shingles, the "cybertruck", or a $40k BEV. They managed to succeed despite all these product/promise failures because they got access to cheap capital, because management managed to rein in Musk's impulsiveness, and because they persuaded lots of people to pay them enormous margins. There were plenty of unfulfilled promises two years ago too. The critics, me included, saw the lies / hype and figured that profitability and scale would be a lie too.

There were lots of "environmental" companies that were smoke screens for the preceding 20 years, and Tesla ten years ago seemed to fit right into that template. Anyone who bought many of the solar, geothermal, hydrogen fuel cell, etc. companies back then was generally wiped out, as the industry was full of fake products and companies that were little more than empty shells of promises.

Kind of like Elon saying that Tesla and SpaceX he thought had about a 10-20% chance of succeeding when he funded them at the start.  Yup agreed.  The majority of these types of companies die when the funding dries up just like the majority of the current start-up EV companies will die and the majority of legacy autos attempts to transition to BEV will die.  Those legacy auto companies might not die, but will be a shell of its former self without a BEV offering.

On a side note, how exactly did Tesla persuade lots of people to pay them enormous margins?

« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 07:08:17 AM by soulpatchmike »

soulpatchmike

• Stubble
« Reply #1036 on: July 27, 2022, 03:01:40 PM »
After confirmation from today's earnings results from Ford, Tesla was as profitable in Q2 2022 as GM and Ford combined.  Can't wait to see how things play out over the next few quarters.

Q2 2022 Net Income

Ford — $667 million
GM — $1.69 billion
Tesla — $2.3 billion

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1037 on: July 27, 2022, 03:30:55 PM »
On a side note, how exactly did Tesla persuade lots of people to pay them enormous margins?
By producing an appealing vehicle in reasonable volume.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1038 on: July 27, 2022, 03:41:38 PM »

That's a very good question. The 5-year cost of ownership for a Model 3 is similar to a BMW 3 series, and yet the Model 3 requires its owner to plan around their range anxiety and deal with hours-long recharges as opposed to ten-minute fill-ups. A brand new Civic costs almost half as much to own as a used Tesla. It would seem like people looking for luxury would gravitate toward the most convenient solution, and the people looking to a car that makes financial sense would gravitate toward the most economical solution.

Even after years of technological improvement, Teslas are still neither economical nor convenient when compared to their ICE and hybrid competitors. That's why Tesla's early product managers made the decision to compete in the market for performance vehicles, where looks and acceleration are more important than practical concerns, and where paying enormous margins for unreliable small-batch vehicles was already the norm. That still doesn't explain why any work commuter should choose a Tesla over a Civic. It makes no financial sense, but then again neither do the vast majority of cars on U.S. roads.

ColoradoTribe

• Bristles
« Reply #1039 on: July 27, 2022, 05:33:34 PM »

That's a very good question. The 5-year cost of ownership for a Model 3 is similar to a BMW 3 series, and yet the Model 3 requires its owner to plan around their range anxiety and deal with hours-long recharges as opposed to ten-minute fill-ups. A brand new Civic costs almost half as much to own as a used Tesla. It would seem like people looking for luxury would gravitate toward the most convenient solution, and the people looking to a car that makes financial sense would gravitate toward the most economical solution.

Even after years of technological improvement, Teslas are still neither economical nor convenient when compared to their ICE and hybrid competitors. That's why Tesla's early product managers made the decision to compete in the market for performance vehicles, where looks and acceleration are more important than practical concerns, and where paying enormous margins for unreliable small-batch vehicles was already the norm. That still doesn't explain why any work commuter should choose a Tesla over a Civic. It makes no financial sense, but then again neither do the vast majority of cars on U.S. roads.

Interesting that you’d stop the cost of ownership comparison at 3 years. Would love to see the source for that. I assume the numbers only improve for the Tesla the longer out you look based on reduced maintenance cost (no oil changes, transmission fluid, radiator, spark plugs, far cheaper full, etc.). Teslas are extremely economical in the long run. These cars have proven they can go easily go 300,000 miles on the original battery and drive train. They have some of the highest safety ratings of any car ever made and the highest performance.

I’ve explained to you before, but you choose to ignore that Tesla is not incapable of producing a quality EV for under $35k (roughly the US average for new vehicles), The simple fact of the matter is Tesla is battery cell constrained. They are not demand constrained. Battery cells are the limiting factor. So, why on earth would they use the limited cell supply to produce lower margin vehicles? Same for introducing new models. Why would you produce a new model (semi or Cybertruck) before you have the cell capacity to support that new line AND your existing lines. Adding new vehicles to your production incurs added costs and reduces profitability, unless you have the cell capacity to support both. You can harp on Tesla “breaking promises” by delaying these new models, but as a share holder I appreciate they are making smart business decisions to maximize profitability. Tesla is able to produce unheard of margins on their automobiles because they’ve reduced the cost to manufacture and produced a product of superior value.

You also fail to mention or to grasp the reason “a brand new Civic costs almost half as much to (purchase) as a used Tesla” is because of the tremendous resale value of used Teslas, which is actually increasing the cost to own advantage of the Tesla over ICE vehicles. Plus, comparing even the base Tesla Model 3 to a civic is like questioning why you’d pay more for a good steak over a hamburger. In this case, you pay a premium of front, but enjoy lower cost of ownership, especially avoiding high gas prices, and then get to sell the car at a premium in the used car market. Lightly used Teslas are currently selling for more than new Teslas due to the long wait times (6-12 months) for new vehicles to be delivered.

Lastly, you talk about the “inconvenience” of owning a Tesla. A Tesla owner can refuel in their garage overnight and wake to a fully fueled vehicle every morning. A Tesla owner can fuel at work. A Tesla owner has access to dedicated nationwide supercharger network for the rare drive exceeding 300 miles of range. Where, after driving 300 miles, they can gain 80% charge back in less time than it will take them to go to the bathroom and scarf down a fast food burger, before driving another 250 miles or more. Oh yeah, you just saved yourself a couple hundred dollars on fuel, so treat yourself to a nice dinner when you do stop for the night.

It wasn’t luck that Tesla succeeded, which is not to say they were guaranteed to succeed, but plenty of investors saw the vision early and knew this was something different. The first ever attempt to build a compelling EV from the ground up and give it real performance, not some compliance car/weird mobile. EVs are clearly better from a technology, performance, and cost of ownership perspective. The demand speaks for itself despite your unsupported concerns. Keep doubting Tesla, (I know you say you’re routing for them to succeed, though there’s little in the tone of your posts to suggest that’s the case), it hasn’t slowed their rapid ascent to date. If I listened to the talking heads,Wall Street, or message board wisdom, I’d sold years ago and missed out on tremendous gains. Tesla is just getting started.

lemonlyman

• Bristles
« Reply #1040 on: July 28, 2022, 09:48:37 AM »
Tesla's risk right now is factory shut downs like what we saw in Q2. It's not any of the nonsense about "all the lies about product timelines" or delays in models (which is really hypocritical to only complain about regarding Tesla and not every other manufacturer. Do I really need to link all the models that never came out for other automakers or model delays?). Tesla will be at 2 million+ run rate of volume in Q4. They're going to build an additional factory in Shanghai right beside the other one. Look at the gross margins. Look at the slow rate of growth in operating expenses compared to volume growth. The company basically has no debt and prints cash even in a bad quarter (Q2). This company is crushing it and is a massive growth opportunity in the next 5-10 years.

yet the Model 3 requires its owner to plan around their range anxiety and deal with hours-long recharges as opposed to ten-minute fill-ups. A brand new Civic costs almost half as much to own as a used Tesla.

Does anyone here actually do cost analysis for cars based on 5 years? Seems pretty short sighted for this crowd. Having owned and road tripped with a Model Y for about 7 months, do I believe my own experience or your non-owner "range anxiety and hours-long recharges" quip? I think I'll go with my own experience. In reality, supercharger stops on road trips are about 20 minutes. Can charge at home for daily. The inconvenience argument is old and tired. Regarding your critic status, at this point, you just sound like someone who's too proud to ever admit they're wrong and there is no profit, volume, or metric that will ever change your mind.

nedwin

• Stubble
« Reply #1041 on: July 28, 2022, 02:22:57 PM »
Interesting that you’d stop the cost of ownership comparison at 3 years. Would love to see the source for that.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but ChpBstrd referred to 5 year cost of ownership and Tesla itself says the 2021 Model 3 RWD is more expensive per mile over 5 years/60k miles than a Camry, but less than a 3 series.  Tesla 2021 Impact Report, p. 78.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1042 on: August 02, 2022, 01:56:30 PM »

Really this is starting to sound like an argument about pepsi vs coke vs royal crown cola. You can argue till your blue in the face that the premium charge on coca cola is ridiculous, it doesn't cost them any more money to produce coke than it does to produce pepsi - but what do you think that will accomplish? Will people stop buying coca cola because you told them the premium isn't "justified"? But what measure?

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1043 on: August 02, 2022, 02:22:56 PM »
Really this is starting to sound like an argument about pepsi vs coke vs royal crown cola. You can argue till your blue in the face that the premium charge on coca cola is ridiculous, it doesn't cost them any more money to produce coke than it does to produce pepsi - but what do you think that will accomplish? Will people stop buying coca cola because you told them the premium isn't "justified"? But what measure?

Since we are talking about investing in TSLA I don't think that's true.

TickerP/E
PEP26.43
KO28.93
BMW.DE2.72
F5.02
GM6.77
NSANY9.29
TSLA102.59
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 02:29:39 PM by PDXTabs »

Niceday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1044 on: August 02, 2022, 04:36:33 PM »

TickerP/E
PEP26.43
KO28.93
BMW.DE2.72
F5.02
GM6.77
NSANY9.29
TSLA102.59
Now compare their respective gross margins, operating margins, revenue growth, earnings growth, cash flow, and debt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #1045 on: August 03, 2022, 09:35:20 AM »
I got curious and went to tesla.com. I was taken aback by the prices. No wonder their margins are high. They just keep raising prices as they want over the years and demand continues to be there for them.

Base Model X - $121000 - This car is just plain ugly.
Base Model S - $105K - I like this one - not a fan of the steering wheel though. I remember it was released with $60000 now its almost double. That is just crazy.
Base Model Y - $66K
Base Model 3 - $47K

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1046 on: August 03, 2022, 10:05:17 AM »

TickerP/E
PEP26.43
KO28.93
BMW.DE2.72
F5.02
GM6.77
NSANY9.29
TSLA102.59

I was referring to the cost of ownership sidebar. If people want to buy tesla they either will or they wont, so far it looks like the price of entry is working.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1047 on: August 07, 2022, 07:38:04 PM »
Interesting that you’d stop the cost of ownership comparison at 3 years. Would love to see the source for that.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but ChpBstrd referred to 5 year cost of ownership and Tesla itself says the 2021 Model 3 RWD is more expensive per mile over 5 years/60k miles than a Camry, but less than a 3 series.  Tesla 2021 Impact Report, p. 78.
Looking at where that information is sourced, it was for 2021 model year estimates - which means gasoline prices at about half what they are today. 

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1048 on: August 07, 2022, 07:51:22 PM »
I got curious and went to tesla.com. I was taken aback by the prices. No wonder their margins are high. They just keep raising prices as they want over the years and demand continues to be there for them.

There is far more demand for new cars than there is supply - so prices are way up across the board. In this case Tesla is able to capture that directly and measure demand response to price increases directly. For a manufacturer like Ford or GM - sales are through dealers, and the dealers seem to be capturing most of the increased profit. Data going back to Ford or GM is going to be a lot more murky.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1049 on: August 24, 2022, 01:53:36 PM »
Do you all think the split will have any direct effect on the current stock price?